Anime/manga megathread

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
^ Hhmmm... I guess if it's trying to appeal to the SAO crowd it will have a tough time coming across as entertaining, since SAO is so ridiculously fun and engaging. I'll probably watch it at some point, but every time I ask someone about it my expectations lower further.

Ah, Fate Zero. Never finished that one, but I remember it being pretty good. I really couldn't figure out what was happening with the story and characters, which is probably why I ended up dropping it.

Dat OP
*LiSa video*

I watched a review of it on YouTube before starting to watch it (Gigguk's review), and it gave me enough context to at least know what I was getting myself into. That plus focusing on memorizing character names and descriptions from the first episode really helped me to follow what was happening. But yeah, it is kinda convoluted in the beginning, given that each character has such a massive backstory, and the rules of the Holy Grail War are so many and aren't stated outright. By the end of it, there were still a couple of unanswered questions, which is why I'm itching to play the VN. And yes, the music is fantastic. I mean, Yuki Kajiura... again. :lol: She's everywhere, I swear. The only piece I didn't really like was the ED for the second season, but even that wasn't bad.

It's also really cool how they got actual historical figures, items, and events and brought them to life while giving them a lot of cool twists. It was quite a nerdgasm in that sense.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
^ Hhmmm... I guess if it's trying to appeal to the SAO crowd it will have a tough time coming across as entertaining, since SAO is so ridiculously fun and engaging. I'll probably watch it at some point, but every time I ask someone about it my expectations lower further.

I think the one thing that kind of kills it, and separates it from SAO, is that if you die in the game: you still revive. Which to me just says, there's no worries. They say that there's a penalty for dying, which I imagine is just a fee you pay when you revive (a la Borderlands) but aside from that my only real goal for watching the series would be to find out what the actual end-game is; but since it's in Japanese, that's half-an hour per episode I have to sit reading for something I only kind of care about.

bouVIP

Reaction score
Well currently in Log Horizon, you find out more about the consequences of death and why everything is happening. I personally prefer it over SAO cause the battles are more like a game and the story is a bit deeper than SAO. It's not as straight forward so there's more explanation

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
I think the one thing that kind of kills it, and separates it from SAO, is that if you die in the game: you still revive. Which to me just says, there's no worries. They say that there's a penalty for dying, which I imagine is just a fee you pay when you revive (a la Borderlands) but aside from that my only real goal for watching the series would be to find out what the actual end-game is; but since it's in Japanese, that's half-an hour per episode I have to sit reading for something I only kind of care about.

Well currently in Log Horizon, you find out more about the consequences of death and why everything is happening. I personally prefer it over SAO cause the battles are more like a game and the story is a bit deeper than SAO. It's not as straight forward so there's more explanation

So, from what I gather, it is, in a way, a more-or-less realistic take on the MMORPG genre (what with the focus on more traditional game mechanics and whatnots), with the catch being that the people are actually trapped in the game. It's good to hear that the consequences of dying do become more apparent later on in the show, and that those consequences are explored. That kind of rekindles my expectations a little bit. In any case, I think I've gathered what I need for now, and I'll just need to see it to judge for myself. Thanks for the input, guys. :yesway:

Mr-Jemhead93

I think I'm profound
Reaction score
so I bummed it the last few weeks and watched through episode 150 something on Fairy Tail. I was really liking it but then I felt like it started getting a little too predictable, dont get me wrong I do like it a lot but its disappointing when you already know what the outcome is going to be several episodes ahead

Osorio

Reaction score
this is so very thinly related to anime that I don't know if I should post it here, but it seems like the best place to get a decent answer, since it pertains anime playback... Here is my problem:

I like to watch anime, I like to have archival copies of stuff, and I've been going through a process of getting 1080p (sometimes 720p so that my internet doesn't die) copies of stuff.

Every time I stumble into anime I see it in an .mkv container, but most "live action" series seem to be distributed in .mp4 nowadays (that I've seen at least). And the file sizes are usually smaller (which should never be the case with variable encoding, as anime has HUGE chunks of space that are the exact same color, reducing the overall color spectrum by A LOT).
As someone bugged by efficiency, I've always wandered if transcoding these .mkv into .mp4 (and strip the useless shit in the process) would be a good idea. The decrease of size is obvious, but I'm wondering if there are any downsides (expect for the possible lack of subtitle styling which I REALLY couldn't possibly care any less for).

Any thoughts?

EDIT: After some rather convoluted research, I discovered that there is no real downside to MP4 aside the loss of subtitle styling. As long as the conversion is done with some level of care, MP4 seems to be a more widely accepted format and gives me less headache than MKV, so I might as well go for it.

Relaying my findings in case anyone finds themselves in a similar situation.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
^ Oh yeah! I was talking about that remake a couple of posts ago. I really can't wait. And it's gonna be directed by the same guy that did Fate/Zero and Kara no Kyoukai (a.k.a. The Garden of Sinners), so I'm 100% confident it'll be amazing. I swear I'm becoming the hugest ufotable fanboy. :lol:

I'm currently playing through the Fate/Stay Night visual novel, and so far it's awesome. Almost all of the questions that I had from Fate/Zero have already been answered by the prologue alone. Really cool series, and I'm super glad I finally decided to indulge in it; it'll keep me occupied for a while.

SamSam

GAS problems
Reaction score

Stick with Log Horizon man, it's a slow starter but there's much more of a story to be told than SAO which was ok, but ultimately rather shallow compared to the better series out there.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Stick with Log Horizon man, it's a slow starter but there's much more of a story to be told than SAO which was ok, but ultimately rather shallow compared to the better series out there.

Good to hear that. They might end up being complementary to each other, after all. I haven't started it, but it's on my list of things to watch, and it has a relatively high priority, so I think it'll happen sooner than later.

Somnium

DEATHGRIPPIN
Reaction score
Thuh Land of Ooo, where fake niggas don't make it
So yesterday I finished watching Fate/Stay Night (even more feels) and ordered the Unlimited Blade Works OVA (along with both volumes of Steins;Gate) and I'm now wishing I could afford those super fancy blu-ray box sets for Fate/Zero. Also received that Saya No Uta visual novel sans the mailman. Been on a Gen Urobuchi kick since watching Madoka Magica so now I have to devour his other works lol. I'm thinking next on the list to watch is probably either going to be Steins;Gate or Fate/Zero. I feel like I should probably take a break and watch something more uplifting though, because after watching Black Rock Shooter, Madoka Magica, and Fate/Stay Night in quick succession; this niqqa is in a dark place lol.

@Alberto7: Mind if I ask where/how you acquired the Fate/Stay Night visual novel? I know I'm going to be investing plenty of time in that at some point down the road. I also saw that Jast is currently taking preorders for a localized version of the Steins;Gate visual novel if you haven't heard.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
^ I got it from a friend, but that thing's all over the place on the internet too. I found out yesterday that they have it at my university's anime club and that they could have just rented it out to me. :wallbash: Aren't there any manga cafes and/or anime clubs near you? Check with them to see if they have it for rent, as physical copies of the game are incredibly expensive. Cheaper for the PS2 and Vita, but at $80 (assuming you have either console), it's still ridiculous.

And yes, Gen Urobuchi certainly can't be the happiest man in the world :lol:, but he's at least not as f*cked in the head as others of his kin out there *cough*Mamoru Oshii*cough*Hideaki Anno*coughcough*. That reminds me I have to watch Psycho-Pass at some point.

As far as the Steins;Gate VN goes, I've heard it's really good, though I've never played it. Good to hear that it's being released in North America. I'd love to get the Limited Edition if only for the Future Gadget Lab member badges that it comes with :lol:. I'm not in a hurry to play that one though, as the anime was very satisfying to me (still have to watch the film though).

By the way, since you mentioned wanting to watch Steins;Gate (HIGHLY recommend that you do so) and having watched Black Rock Shooter, have any of you checked out the Huke artbook?
83416S.JPG

It's mainly concept art from Black Rock Shooter (which I haven't watched), but as he's also the character designer of Steins;Gate, there's a good chunk of the book (about a 3rd of it, I'd say) dedicated to concept Steins;Gate art. I really, really love his character designs and concepts. I've no idea what BRS is about, but it also looks awesome, based just on the art. There's also some miscellaneous art in there. My sister and I bought it a while back, and I've spent hours just looking at the different pieces and pages. It's friggin' beautiful.

EDIT: Apparently Huke is also a "deviant." You can see some of his artwork there, including things from the book I just mentioned: http://ryoheihuke.deviantart.com/gallery/

Somnium

DEATHGRIPPIN
Reaction score
I WANT THAT BOOK SO GOSH DARN BAD MAN YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW. Huke's artwork is phenomenal. I'd definitely recommend checking out the Black Rock Shooter series though. It's only 8 episodes and it's pretty well done imo. You can probably skip the OVA though. Steins;Gate should be waiting for me when I get home from work so I'm pumped as hell to start watching that.

I figured the Fate/Stay Night visual novel would be pretty easy to find online but unfortunately I'm one of those cursed individuals that revels in the ownership of physical products, and yeah that ish be pricey as fugg. If you were able to rent that copy and say, lose it in drug deal gone awry, I wouldn't mind trading you some currency for it huehuehuehuehueh.

Also, have you watched any of the Garden of Sinners? I mean sure $150 is steep, but with each passing day I feel myself slipping farther and farther into an anime-induced psychosis...a very expensive anime-induced psychosis...

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
I WANT THAT BOOK SO GOSH DARN BAD MAN YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW. Huke's artwork is phenomenal. I'd definitely recommend checking out the Black Rock Shooter series though. It's only 8 episodes and it's pretty well done imo. You can probably skip the OVA though. Steins;Gate should be waiting for me when I get home from work so I'm pumped as hell to start watching that.

I figured the Fate/Stay Night visual novel would be pretty easy to find online but unfortunately I'm one of those cursed individuals that revels in the ownership of physical products, and yeah that ish be pricey as fugg. If you were able to rent that copy and say, lose it in drug deal gone awry, I wouldn't mind trading you some currency for it huehuehuehuehueh.

Also, have you watched any of the Garden of Sinners? I mean sure $150 is steep, but with each passing day I feel myself slipping farther and farther into an anime-induced psychosis...a very expensive anime-induced psychosis...

Hahaha dude, get the book! It's gorgeous, and its presentation is breathtaking. The hard cover, the matte finish on the protector, the quality of the paper, the art (of course)... as a fan of BRS and as a future fan of Steins;Gate (because, let's be honest, how can anyone not be?), you owe this to yourself.

Like you, I have a strong need to have everything I like in physical (licensed) format. Not only because of the novelty of it and all the extras that come with it, but because I like to have it in the highest quality possible. I've been buying a few things over the last couple of years, but I spend much faster than I can gather funds, so my list of anime-related things to buy is long and unfulfilled.

I watched Kara no Kyoukai (a.k.a. The Garden of Sinners) over the winter break, and I still can't really get over how absolutely stunning it was. I posted a quick (and honestly kinda crappily-written) review of it on page 20 of this thread. It's what pushed me to finally watch Fate/Zero, actually (since they're both made by ufotable and Type-Moon). This is my current first on that to-buy list that I talked about before, but I have to wait a little more... thing's expensive as hell. :( Between that and the guitar-related stuff, I don't know what's gonna ruin me first.

I think I had a stroke. That site is the stuff of nightmares (and guilty pleasures... oh, Lord... :ugh:)

... tuuu-tuu-duuuuuu *Mayuri's voice*

bouVIP

Reaction score
Have any of you guys seen Hamatora? It's pretty good and reminds me of a less dark version of Psycho-Pass.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Have any of you guys seen Hamatora? It's pretty good and reminds me of a less dark version of Psycho-Pass.

The art style and animation look really, really cool. The music didn't make that much of an impression on me the first time, though that could change over time. Seems worth checking out! Thanks for sharing that :)

So I started watching Steins;Gate yesterday, and after about 4 or 5 episodes I'm already hooked. I NEED TO GET OFF WORK SO I CAN WATCH MORE.

Yeah, just wait about a half dozen episodes or so more. :lol: You won't leave the house.

Fat-Elf

Banned
Reaction score
NSFW-ish

Wait a minute.. Next time I go buy some cheese, there will be a pic of a Ika Musume on the cover? Neat..

Somnium

DEATHGRIPPIN
Reaction score
Okay, so I recently finished watching Steins;Gate and I can easily say it's one of the greatest things I've ever experienced. That being said, I was shedding tears like an abandoned infant all over the damn place. That one brought the feels, man. I plan on importing a copy of the film here when I get some more of that sweet-ass cash money, then it's on to the Madoka Magica movies. By the way, rightstuf is currently taking preorders for the third Madoka Magica film (the one that isn't a recap of the series) and I believe it's set to drop in early April. Fugging Aniplex you bastards why must you rob me of money I don't have?!

')