Anime/manga megathread

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Started watching Mushishi. Only two episodes into the first season and I'm already in love with it. It is so surreal. So far, each episode feels a lot like watching a Miyazaki film condensed into the most exquisitely paced and scripted 24 minutes, but with a much heavier, more relaxed, and more psychological atmosphere. This will be my next go-to show for late night sessions right before heading to bed. Has anyone else watched it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

chopeth

Reaction score
Started watching Mushishi. Only two episodes into the first season and I'm already in love with it. It is so surreal. So far, each episode feels a lot like watching a Miyazaki film condensed into the most exquisitely paced and scripted 24 minutes, but with a much heavier, more relaxed, and more psychological atmosphere. This will be my next go-to show for late night sessions right before heading to bed. Has anyone else watched it?

Mushishi is one of the most beautiful series I'd recommend to anyone. You'll love each episode, they are small pieces of art. It was long ago since I watched it but I still remember everytime I finished one episode, I felt peace and joy. I don't watch/read any anime/manga anymore, I feel old for such naive and manichean plots and I can't stand the terrible endings of most animes/mangas anymore, but I would recommend pieces of art such as Mushishi, Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop or Ghost in the Shell all the time. I wish there were more contemporary series as these.

Don Vito

Reaction score
Just finished Madoka and my head hurts from that ending and I nearly cried about 3 times.

broj15

Reaction score
And so did Berserk!!! First new chapter in 2 years, and another one coming in May.

I can't wait to see Rickert reunite with Griffith for the first time. It will be interesting to see what direction Miura takes.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Mushishi is one of the most beautiful series I'd recommend to anyone. You'll love each episode, they are small pieces of art. It was long ago since I watched it but I still remember everytime I finished one episode, I felt peace and joy. I don't watch/read any anime/manga anymore, I feel old for such naive and manichean plots and I can't stand the terrible endings of most animes/mangas anymore, but I would recommend pieces of art such as Mushishi, Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop or Ghost in the Shell all the time. I wish there were more contemporary series as these.

You have good taste. :yesway: I like all anime, but I, almost unconsciously, separate shows into two main categories. The first one would be where I put great shows like Fate/Zero, Steins;Gate, Madoka Magica, Haruhi Suzumiya, etc., which are pieces of art in and of themselves. But then there's the other category where I fit shows like the ones you mentioned plus others like Haibane Renmei and Kara no Kyoukai. Needless to say, the latter category is a tad more exclusive. I see it as the "high art" of the anime world. Of course, there are a lot that fall into a kind of grey area. For example, I feel as though Clannad: After Story could have made it into the latter category if it weren't for some of its incredibly stereotypical anime characters and it's moe-ness. In any case, both categories are kind of separate, and I don't specifically like one over the other, but I do have a sort of higher degree of artistic respect for something like Ghost in the Shell over, say, Black Lagoon, even though I enjoy them equally.

I guess that kind of makes sense. :lol:

Just finished Madoka and my head hurts from that ending and I nearly cried about 3 times.

It pleases me that this happened.

Don Vito

Reaction score
I expected something from Madoka, but it surpassed my expectations quite often. I actually started watching the series when it was first airing, but dropped it because I thought the first few episodes were boring. How naive :(

Just started on Kill la Kill and now I want to be Ryuko is this normal please respond

Last edited:

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, you know what they say... being Meguca is suffering...

meduka_01.jpg

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
OMG I think I just had a mini heart attack. Gooby is best Meguca. meduka meguca - Puella Magi Wiki

That reminds me. Best anime ever:

And yeah, that is an actual show. animation is so sugoooiiiiiii

I think I just went full retard.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Wait, it went how? Like that episode of NNSG or full retard? Not that I think there's a difference, but now I'm curious.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Mushishi is one of the most beautiful series I'd recommend to anyone. You'll love each episode, they are small pieces of art. It was long ago since I watched it but I still remember everytime I finished one episode, I felt peace and joy.

:agreed: Musishi was one of the last series I've seen that I've felt satisfying to watch from beginning to end. The live action was actually pretty good too.

...though I haven't watched any anime for quite some time, in fact my busy schedule has made me stop completely. Gotta check some new stuff...

Don Vito

Reaction score
Wait, it went how? Like that episode of NNSG or full retard? Not that I think there's a difference, but now I'm curious.
There is no good answer I can give to that question..... :lol:

Anyways, just started Mekaku City Actors after seeing it on a Spring 2014 list, and I'm pretty stoked because it has a hikki as the MC.

I'm only 4 episodes in, but I can highly recommend Kill la kill. My hentai state of mind tends to agree with Ryuko's shame. She also wears thrash metal shoes.

1e20029b7724db46d7b150d453347fec.jpg

edit: oh god I'm 5 minutes into Mekaku and I already love it

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Dude, Mekakucity Actors is turning out GREAT. Damn you, Akiyuki Shinbo, and all your greatness. You'll notice how a lot of scenes and settings will seem to have come straight from Madoka Magica. :lol: Like I said before, it is stylistically brilliant, and dat 3rd episode, yo, and dat 4th episode ending! :eek: I hope it stays this awesome.

I don't know if I should start Kill la Kill while I watch Mushishi... too big a difference and it might ruin the mood :lol: but I REALLY want to watch KlK.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
So, this came out today (F*CKING FINALLY):

A tiny bit underwhelming of a PV I think (especially given the hype and long wait), but I am excite anyway. Art and animation seem to be just as incredible as, if not even better than, Fate/Zero's. I like the slightly darker color palette that they're using as well. I also dig the original music from the VN, although I wouldn't complain if they got Mrs. Kajiura to do the OST. :D

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Aaaaannnd now this:

I'm running around in circles.

habicore_5150

El Psy Congroove
Reaction score
Well, instead of playing a bit of catch up with a few other series that I've been watching, I decided to check out a few others to see if I can get into them.

Only two I've started watching recently:
Yozakura Quartet and Seikon no Qwaser

Might need to see a couple more episodes of Yozakura Quartet, but it looks pretty good so far

As for Seikon no Qwaser...I really don't know what I can say about this. The only things that are circling my head after seeing the opening episode is "breastfeeding causes explosions in a rather epic looking battle". Though I have been thoroughly warned about the later episodes

Fat-Elf

Banned
Reaction score
Just finished the latest chapter of Watamote. So Tomoko is a brony..

Fvcking dropped.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
how do we watch anime together? I want this to happen

Yo this seriously needs to happen. If you guys are going to any conventions, do post them up here so we know when and where to look for each other. I wanted to make it to Anime North this year, but that ain't happening. I am, however, going to Otakuthon here in Montreal this August. If anyone just so happens to be here by then and is going, do let me know! Besides, Nobuo Uematsu is paying us a visit, along with Yui Ishikawa (Mikasa Ackerman's Japanese voice). ;)

Also, the links I posted for the Fate/Stay Night 2014 remake preview videos got deleted off of YouTube, apparently. :(

')