Anime/manga megathread

Somnium

DEATHGRIPPIN
Reaction score
Thuh Land of Ooo, where fake niggas don't make it
Can't remember what the last thing I had posted about on here was, but the last series I made it through was Attack on Titan. As with Sword Art Online, my expectations were pretty low, but I was pleasantly surprised yet again. I really, really want some more episodes. Seriously. Hook it up. Other than that I watched the first of the Persona 3 movies about a week ago. Definitely enjoyed it; although they left off after they save Fuuka so I'm not sure how they're gonna fit the rest of the story into one more film. Regardless, it was totally solid. That $80 collector's edition (thank you Aniplex...) was worth it, the packaging is fuggin gawgeous. Also dat protagonist/Makoto Yuki, anime mancrushin' over here lol.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fat-Elf

Banned
Reaction score
Been re-watching Bartender for a few nights now for who knows how many(eth?) time. There needs to be more animes about alcohol. :lol:

Don Vito

Reaction score
Other than that I watched the first of the Persona 3 movies about a week ago. Definitely enjoyed it; although they left off after they save Fuuka so I'm not sure how they're gonna fit the rest of the story into one more film. Regardless, it was totally solid. That $80 collector's edition (thank you Aniplex...) was worth it, the packaging is fuggin gawgeous. Also dat protagonist/Makoto Yuki, anime mancrushin' over here lol.
Haha we watched this like 2 weeks ago and I was like "wtf its already over?" I thought it covered the whole game.

Last edited:

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Gotta say, I was not a huge of fan of Sidonia no Kishi (a.k.a. Knights of Sidonia) for the first 4-5 episodes or so. Characters, their relationships, and setting introduction were kinda iffy and strangely paced, and it was kinda confusing. The animation style didn't really help much. However, the latter episodes are amazing (on episode 9 now). They have everything set up nicely and the setting is pretty clear. Character development got A LOT better, there's a lot more action, and I feel as though even the animation changed a bit towards the more traditional side (or perhaps I'm just getting used to it).

It feels like a mix between Evangelion and Gundam. For the more modern anime oriented, it's quite similar in concept to Attack on Titan, but in space. A mysterious enemy incapable of any level of human communication appears out of the blue and drives humankind to the verge of extinction, destroying Earth in the process. Humanity develops gigantic ships which contain the last remaining humans (one of them being named Sidonia. Guess where the story takes place?). All that happened ~1000 years ago. By this time, technology is incredibly advanced and robotic frames (reminiscent of Gundams) are created to combat the Gauna (the aforementioned 'mysterious enemy'), on which humanity has next to no information, despite 1000 years having passed since their appearance. Really cool and and creepy.

Of course one of the supporting characters (and pretty integral to the story, too, apparently) is a bipedal talking bear with a robotic hand-claw thing, because why the fuck not.

Regardless, I suggest you give it a watch. It's heading in a promisingly epic direction. :yesway:

bouVIP

Reaction score
Haha oddly enough, Nanana is one of the 6 airing shows I'm watching. I had no idea what to expect at first and I thought it would be kind of Haruhi-like, so I thought the first episode was near perfect. Then the second came and had my doubts. Then I started losing hope by the third. When they revealed the first twist (ep. 4 or 5, not sure), I lost interest. I just keep watching it because why not, and because the OP music is killer, but I'm not actually sure of what's going on, nor do I care too much. Nanana time = time to shut my brain off.

I had no idea what it was about when I started it (only watched it cause I saw a gif and it looked cool). The plot twists felt so random to me, but on episode 5 and I like it.

habicore_5150

El Psy Congroove
Reaction score
Gotta say, I was not a huge of fan of Sidonia no Kishi (a.k.a. Knights of Sidonia) for the first 4-5 episodes or so. Characters, their relationships, and setting introduction were kinda iffy and strangely paced, and it was kinda confusing. The animation style didn't really help much. However, the latter episodes are amazing (on episode 9 now). They have everything set up nicely and the setting is pretty clear. Character development got A LOT better, there's a lot more action, and I feel as though even the animation changed a bit towards the more traditional side (or perhaps I'm just getting used to it).

It feels like a mix between Evangelion and Gundam. For the more modern anime oriented, it's quite similar in concept to Attack on Titan, but in space. A mysterious enemy incapable of any level of human communication appears out of the blue and drives humankind to the verge of extinction, destroying Earth in the process. Humanity develops gigantic ships which contain the last remaining humans (one of them being named Sidonia. Guess where the story takes place?). All that happened ~1000 years ago. By this time, technology is incredibly advanced and robotic frames (reminiscent of Gundams) are created to combat the Gauna (the aforementioned 'mysterious enemy'), on which humanity has next to no information, despite 1000 years having passed since their appearance. Really cool and and creepy.

Of course one of the supporting characters (and pretty integral to the story, too, apparently) is a bipedal talking bear with a robotic hand-claw thing, because why the fuck not.

Regardless, I suggest you give it a watch. It's heading in a promisingly epic direction. :yesway:

Been meaning to get around to watching Knights of Sidonia. And I told you that it has an Evangelion and Gundam (at this point, should we even say Evangundam, or Gundamelion or something ridiculous?) vibe to it

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
^ Ah man, I don't remember that, sorry. I remember a friend posting the trailer a couple of months before it came out, and it was very Eva-ish. Gundamelion sounds about right. :rofl: The control room and how missions are carried out are EXACTLY like in Eva. The robots look like more streamlined Gundams. It's a really cool show, I just wish they had gone about the storytelling a little differently.

I had no idea what it was about when I started it (only watched it cause I saw a gif and it looked cool). The plot twists felt so random to me, but on episode 5 and I like it.
Their randomness threw me off so much. I never expected them and by the time I got over my state of shock, the plot had advanced too much for me to fully understand what was going on. However, episode 9 renewed my interest in it a little bit. Things begin to get more interesting, even if I'm still not 100% sure of what's going on. I have so many questions about this anime. :lol: Maybe I just haven't been paying attention enough.

There's also the fact that I looove Nanana's character, even if she doesn't really take much of the spotlight at all despite being in the anime's freaking title.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, shit :lol: my attention span is close to zero these days. :rolleyes: It means I must thank you for reminding me that I had to watch it, so thanks. :D Give it a watch whenever you can. Hopefully you'll get past the first few episodes.

habicore_5150

El Psy Congroove
Reaction score
Well, shit :lol: my attention span is close to zero these days. :rolleyes: It means I must thank you for reminding me that I had to watch it, so thanks. :D Give it a watch whenever you can. Hopefully you'll get past the first few episodes.

Watching it right now, and it looks as good as it did in the previews. Already on ep 2 right now

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Do let us know how you like it!

habicore_5150

El Psy Congroove
Reaction score
Already on episode 6 of Sidonia, and it's pretty damn good. Really does stick with the Evangundam style like I thought it would

And note to self, never watch episode 6 of Sidonia at about 16:45 in, and listen to Isolation Theory by After the Burial at about 52 seconds in, AT THE SAME TIME...for those who have seen/listened to both will understand

Ikiharmaa

It's all white.
Reaction score
oooh, I just realised this Sidonia no Kishi you're talking about is Nihei's piece of work. I wonder if it'll translate well to anime.. I can't imagine the other mangas of his that I've actually read to work too well as anime tbh. Regardless, I highly recommend reading Abara and Biomega, if not for anything else, the art and mood in them is impeccable. I quite like his slighly mystic, rather silent, and sometimes a bit hard to follow way of story-telling too, the mood is definitely there in a way that isn't present in other manga.

Luckily batoto has them in excellent quality, idk if there's any other way to view them in a decent quality, at least not unless you know japanese and are able to buy the actual copies.

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/59599/abara_v1_ch1_by_illuminati-manga/1

and an image from the first pages of Biomega
img000038.png

I guess I'll finally need to read Blame! and start on Sidonia no Kishi, although I don't think it's completed yet which makes me not want to read it more than I already have (first 20 pages).

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I hear Nihei likes bears. Somehow, though, it works in the show. I don't find it intellectually and/or emotionally obtrusive. :lol: And wait, the source material for Sidonia isn't finished yet? That's not good news. I was hoping we'd get to cover the entire story in the anime without being left up in the air like what happened with Attack on Titan.

And note to self, never watch episode 6 of Sidonia at about 16:45 in, and listen to Isolation Theory by After the Burial at about 52 seconds in, AT THE SAME TIME...for those who have seen/listened to both will understand

Haha I wish I had known about that song before I watched that episode. :rofl:

Guys, is the stream tonight still happening?

Don Vito

Reaction score
idk what you guys want to watch :lol:

and I can't help but think of chewbacca when I see a bear holding a rifle, and that's a good thing I suppose

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Meh I think I'll bail for today. Not feeling it right now. I'm probably just gonna go work on uni stuff for a bit, then watch the new Mekakucity with a beer and a few chips, and then go to bed... maybe. I'll keep Don's twitch open just in case I change my mind and in case you guys go live, but it's up to you guys. For what it's worth, I was going to say let's do Watamote.

EDIT: here's Lala Hiyama, Sidonia's very own talking bear. For comparison with the Biomega manga page that Ikiharmaa posted. Quite different art styles :lol::
Knights-of-sidonia-Talking-bear.jpg

Don Vito

Reaction score
Well, I really wanted to watch Watamote, but wasn't sure how everyone else felt about it. I'm only up to episode 4, and it's really started to get hilarious.

And goddamn I love those bears. They're cuter than the moomins(talking Finnish hippos)
Moomin_characters.png

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Okay, the new Mekakucity Actors made my mind explode and my heart crumble. Like seriously. :eek:

I will definitely need to marathon this once it's over. It totally deserves a second watch and a proper judgement.

Don Vito

Reaction score
I think I'm actually going to hit the bed too. Sorry guys :(

Anyways, there's a bad thunderstorm rolling through, so I wouldn't be surprised if my power goes out.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Guys, it's official, Gokukoku no Brynhildr now djents:

Well... not really. But it does enough for me. Now I just hope the anime becomes as good as that opening.

')