Anime/manga megathread

Ikiharmaa

It's all white.
Reaction score
Good voice acting is a really big deal no matter the language and I definitely look forward to the voice acting and the whole audio-aspect of every anime I watch. I much prefer my voice acting in Japanese though, just seems way more fitting in most anime. Another thing about having the audio in Japanese for me is that I can't understand it, so I'll listen to it more carefully because I don't have to listen to the meaning of what's being said. Like, instead of what I get more into how it actually sounds.

I'm quite sure that subs are something one gets used to as well. I'm very used to following subtitles because most of the stuff I watched from tv since I was a kid had subs on them. When watching something with english audio I don't mind having english subs around, since to me they don't ruin anything or aren't really a distraction like I can imagine them to be for people who are not too used to them. But that's just my imagining so idk really.

Anyways, I didn't really have anything to say but I'm finally watching GitS:SAC. Slowly but surely whenever I have the time.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Dunno if it is just me or what but most NA voice actors can't do anything right. I am having a really hard time watching Avatar because the voice acting is so bad.

Last NA animated show I could say had legit good voice acting was Gargoyles :lol: or feature films too, but those usually aren't just voice actors. They are real actors that happen to only do voices.

Games seem to be the only ones that get it right as of late, but in terms of movies/shows, it's definitely not 100%. I feel like there are some roles that get it right (Spike from Cowboy Bebop/TOM from Toonami by Steve Blum, Johnny Young Bosch as Vash the Stampede, and Kevin Conroy as Batman are the big three that jump out) but I can't think of a show that overall I think has it down

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
I watched the whole Stand Alone Complex GitS series/movies dubbed, and I loved them that way, to the point where I don't feel the need at all to watch in Japanese. Sure, it does come across as slightly cartoonish at times, but it's not very often, and even the Japanese can some times come across as so (particularly when characters begin wailing and crying... it can be really cringe-worthy).

Don Vito

Reaction score
[Youtubevid]Qmkn59N5SDg[/MEDIA]
Boku no Pico.

Anyways, I usually watch anime in Japanese, but I'm really starting to prefer English dubs these days. It's just easier for me to sit down and actually finish a show if I don't have to read subtitles. To be perfectly honest, I can't tell if Japanese voice acting is good or not, since I don't speak it. AoT's dub is pretty decent I think. Not GitS level, but above your average dub.

I watched the whole Stand Alone Complex GitS series/movies dubbed, and I loved them that way, to the point where I don't feel the need at all to watch in Japanese. Sure, it does come across as slightly cartoonish at times, but it's not very often, and even the Japanese can some times come across as so (particularly when characters begin wailing and crying... it can be really cringe-worthy).
GitS dub is what got me started into anime. Before that, my only picture of it was ripped dudes screaming at each other and powering up their energy.

edit: Started downloading the Blazblue anime they did last year or so. I didn't hear much about this one, so I don't have my hopes up. But it's Blazblue, so there's bound to be some good fight scenes.

Last edited:

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Just finished No Game No Life... I am SO down for another season (or five, or six...), though I fear we may not get one for another while; even the light novels (source material) are still unfinished. They wrapped up this season really nicely though. Super uber giant nail-biting cliffhanger, but still gave a sense of accomplishment and arc completion.

I'm honestly surprised that a show that focuses so much on ecchi and sheer nerdiness has managed to make me fall off my chair laughing while keeping me at the edge of it with all the suspense. Not to mention the wits of the protagonists and the ridiculously intricate, yet understandable, plot that the writer came up with. Such a clever anime. I am sad it's over.

I am tempted to find translated copies of the light novels (if they exist at all), but I fear it will not be nearly as entertaining as the anime. Sure, the story itself is interesting enough, but the anime had SO much charm with all its colors, and the voice acting, and the hilarious Engrish, and the pop culture references, and the... you get the point. Perhaps I could find translated copies of the manga (although I don't know at which point in the story it is so far), but I will still miss Shiro's voice going all "omega good job" on me...

Aaagghhh 8.5/10

bouVIP

Reaction score
I still need to find some time to finish it!!

No Game No Life - Baka-Tsuki

It's not fully translated, but with the animes popularity it should be translated a bit faster. Idk how this light novel compares to the anime, but when I was in a rush to finish SAO I read the light novel and was still immersed in the story so who knows lol.

edit: Jibril forever
tumblr_n7qna6PRp91rv38a5o1_500.gif

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Aaahhh thanks a lot, man! I think I'll give them a shot, just to see what's what. Do let us know how you like it once you have some time to catch up with it; I know you've been into it, so I'm interested!

EDIT: I am trying to give you +rep for that post, but it won't let me... :( I am also currently looking for pics of Jibril to set as my avatar haha I have a new waifu :wub: I would have said Saki from One Week Friends, but that's just weird... :ugh:

bouVIP

Reaction score
Will do!

Jibril tag on tumblr is awesome for pics/gifs
https://www.tumblr.com/tagged/jibril

Thanks appreciate the rep even if it doesn't work lol

Also updated my signature with my guitars and their names which are mostly anime characters lol

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Currently re-watching SAO, it definitely doesn't hit as hard the second time and as much as I usually hate the leading roles becoming a couple, I'm totally OK with the Asuna/Kirito pairing. In the show it seems to play out really quickly but if you pay attention to how much time passes, it's definitely a natural progression. Not sure if I'll be able to handle Yui's death a second time but we'll see.

In other news:
tumblr_m3myygoX2v1qctc81o1_500.jpg

Don Vito

Reaction score
edit: Started downloading the Blazblue anime they did last year or so. I didn't hear much about this one, so I don't have my hopes up. But it's Blazblue, so there's bound to be some good fight scenes.
I never played the single player mode in Blazblue, so I have nooooooooooooooooooooo idea what is going on. Something about a cauldron and a time loop... anime shit yo xD

It is nice to see the characters do their respective thing(albeit with somewhat low quality and static animation), and I do recognize a few songs from the game.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
bale.gif

I just don't know how else to react to that... :ugh:

Redoubt9000

Reaction score
REQ:

Of all the shows for this year, any recommendable standalone/new series worth watching? Here lately I've only been doing marathons on shows that have had quite a long stint (Dragonball, Gintama, Natsume Yujincho) as I just haven't been in the mood to dive into a new show... But I think I'm up for something! Just not sure what yet >_> Any help appreciated!

No particular genre pref, but I think I'd jump off a roof if I'm faced with another slice-of-life show filled with bantering. It's like eating too many sweets and I've had my fill for now! xD

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Seriously, No Game No Life seems to have been the biggest success this spring. Awesome show.

Mekakucity Actors
if you want your mind to blow up with non-linear storytelling and flashy art everywhere.

I was going to recommend One Week Friends, but you said you don't want slice of life... this is more of a drama-oriented slice of life though, rather than a Haruhi-style one.

From last winter I guess you could watch Kill la Kill, though I can't give a recommendation myself since I haven't watched it. Everybody says it's good though.

Attack on Titan, too, which is from last spring, but I'm pretty sure you'd like it.

Most of this year's interesting shows are coming out during summer and fall though, so you might want to keep your eyes on those two seasons' shows. Here's a super helpful website that I use to check what things are coming up and to keep track of what I'm watching and when new episodes come out:

http://anichart.net/

Redoubt9000

Reaction score
I was going to recommend One Week Friends, but you said you don't want slice of life... this is more of a drama-oriented slice of life though, rather than a Haruhi-style one.

Bah, guess I'm not entirely opposed to slice-of-life, it is one of my more fav genres! But recently I attempted Acchi Kocchi as it was on the back burner for a good long while, and tbh it was god awful and sorta dampened my mood lately. First show in a long time that I dropped with absolutely no regrets :fawk: Sure if it has solid plot I'm sold, but again if it's driven by mindless banter that inevitably leads to more boring shit happening - then yeah can't say I'm very keen on it.

One Week Friends though has certainly piqued my interest in the past. I know I've always preferred to wait it out until a season airs in its entirety before I get around to watching anything.

Thoroughly enjoyed AoT ;) They need to get to that 2nd season going :scream:

Thanks for the link btw! I've always went to animeph as it gave me a quick n' dirty rundown on everything for the upcoming season, to include archived listings by season. Your link is easier on the eyes tho ^^

Don Vito

Reaction score
Glasslip Description | More Info
The story follows six high school students who meet during the summer. The protagonist is Touko Fukami, a 17-year-old born in Fukui Prefecture. Her dream is to become a glass artisan.
Man, they are running out of ideas :lol:. I'll check it out anyways.

2. Tokyo ESP actually seems quite neat. Has nothing to do with the ESP shop in Tokyo unfortunately.

How cool would that be though? A slice of life anime set in a Japanese music store. I'd watch it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3. Space Dandy 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From last winter I guess you could watch Kill la Kill, though I can't give a recommendation myself since I haven't watched it. Everybody says it's good though.
This! Kill la Kill is ultra violent, overly sexual, and never takes it self seriously. The plot is surprisingly creative as well.

Redoubt9000

Reaction score
Yeah definitely have yet to give Kill la Kill much of a shot! I think I got around to watching the first ep when it first began to stream, but it was so soon after I rewatched Panty & Stocking and with the familiar art style, I kinda just went meh* and dropped KlK soon after -figuring I would pick it up later.

Rail Wars!
Something to look forward to, sounds like a show that'll keep me entertained^ In a similar vein to Library Wars I hope! :p

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Ah, well, One Week Friends finished just a few days ago, so you can now marathon it if you want. They wrapped it up nicely, too, so I doubt we'll get a second season. The manga does continue on with the story, but the anime does a good job at stopping where it does and gives the show a sense of completeness. It definitely isn't just bantering though. It's a very, very sweet and dreamy anime, and it does hold some nice themes and portrays good values, if that's your sort of thing. It has a ton of meaning behind it. It has a slightly similar tone to Usagi Drop, but it's definitely more on the tear-jerker side. It's not very sad though; it's rather a very "OMG THAT IS SO CUTE I WANT TO CURL UP IN A BALL AND DIE" kind of show. It did have its flaws, I thought, but they were quite subjective. Overall a very good anime.

Oh, and by last winter I meant last year. :lol: I actually don't remember exactly when Kill la Kill came out, but I think it was during summer.

Man, so much goodness coming out this summer. I am most hyped for these:

Aldnoah.Zero:
Written by Gen Urobuchi (Fate/Zero, Madoka Magica, Psycho-pass), directed by Ei Aoki (Fate/Zero and a couple of the Kara no Kyoukai films), music by Hiroyuki Sawano (Kill la Kill and Attack on Titan), and main theme performed by Kalafina (Fate/Zero, Madoka Magica, Kara no Kyoukai... Yuki Kajiura's brainchild project, basically). So yeah, that's a pretty f*cking mindbending dream team right there.

Akame ga Kill!:
I don't have much info on this one, but character design looks neat, and the manga is supposed to be cool.

Psycho-pass edit:
Because I'm too lazy to go and watch the original series. It's just the same series but in 1-hour long episode format and with some new scenes. I'm on a quest to watch everything Gen Urobuchi has put his hands on, so I cannot pass this one up.

Rail Wars:
Why would anyone not watch a show about people FIGHTING FOR THEIR TRAINS?! I have a feeling it's going to be on the same vein as all those recent sports anime *cough*Free*cough*. Besides, the animation looks stupid good, and it's made by some people that have never done jackshit before, which makes it interesting.

Tokyo Ghoul:
Again, I hear the manga is great, and it's been a while since I've seen a good gore/horror anime. The trailer looks crazy good.

Sword Art Online II:
SAO is my biggest love/hate relationship in anime. It's a poorly executed amazing idea with beautiful animation, art, and music. However, its poor execution did NOT stop me from enjoying the hell out of it. So now I'm really pumped for its second season!
(won't post trailer... bouVIP posted one in one of the two the previous pages, I think)

Zankyou no Terror (a.k.a. Terror in Resonance, or Terror in Tokyo):
Another dream team right here. Directed by Shinichiro Watanabe (Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo), and music score composed by Yoko Kanno (Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell). The animation looks GORGEOUS, and the plot sounds super interesting. Along with Aldnoah.Zero and Fate/Stay Night, this is the anime that I've been waiting for all year.

I have others that I have my eye on this summer though. Gonna keep an eye on Tokyo ESP, since it actually looks quite interesting. I know DRAMatical Murder's source is... questionable, to say the least, but apparently they're taking out all the robot-that-transforms-into-dog-and-then-you-can-f*ck content out of the anime and keeping the good bits. The art and setting look interesting enough to make me turn my head. I also like how Glasslip looks, and I'm a fan of slice of life, so why not. Of course, I'll likely be watching the new Sailor Moon as well.

Then there's Minarai Diva, which, according to what I heard, will actually be a friggin' live broadcast from a set where actors will be performing in front of motion-sensitive cameras that will transform their movements to computer models. I am not gonna watch it (it sounds really shit), but the concept sounds unique enough.

EDIT: Haha got :ninja:'d about Rail Wars. :lol: Now that I think about it, the name sounds like one of those really crappy reality shows on The Discovery Channel. :rofl:

EDIT 2: I am also considering adding this to my signature to make everybody here hate me forever.
Haruhi_Full_ending_GIF_by_Ghost999ART.gif

(Anybody know where I can find a bigger version of that gif? I have one on my computer, but I can't find it anywhere online. I don't remember where I got it from)

Last edited:

Don Vito

Reaction score
Man, that gif takes me back to 2007. I wouldn't even be able to load a proper gif right now, since I'm at my lake house this weekend with horrible back woods internet. :lol:

And Rail Wars, damn... how'd I miss that? The first half of the trailer just looks like some typical SOL. But ya know, Japanese teenagers and their trains.

edit: 4600th post :woot:

edit 2: why do all animes focus on teenagers? why not make the MC some badass old hermit like Master Roshi? I'd watch a SOL about a middle aged mom for some reason. MILF wars.

Last edited:
')