Anime/manga megathread

Fat-Elf

Banned
Reaction score
I listened to it like 6 times in a row after my first listen. Soooo caatcchyyy I'm so making a guitar cover of this song. :lol: I also love how many different versions of it the internet has come up with.

Babby's first Touhou song.

Actually, I also thought of making a cover of that song this weekend but got bored and drunk instead. :metal:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Babby's first Touhou song.

Actually, I also thought of making a cover of that song this weekend but got bored and drunk instead. :metal:

Time well spent, then. :lol: I did try making a cover of it, but as soon as I found out it is tuned half a step down from standard guitar tuning all the ideas I had for it flew out the window, :lol: and I can't be bothered to re-tune my guitar. :ugh: I did find out that the song lends itself very well to seven strings though, so I'm still interested in making that cover. I just need to sit down and plan it out.

bouVIP

Reaction score
@Alberto7 I thought Glasslip was pretty good though I've been in the mood for slice of life stuff.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't know, a lot of people are liking it quite a bit. Granted, it looks beautiful, and the ED is super cute, but it just didn't grab my interest much; it didn't seem to go anywhere. The very end (when they set up that love triangle) is the only thing that gave it some sense of direction and it's what saved it for me.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Just finished the first episode of Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon: Crystal. Ladies and gentlemen (though mostly the latter), the loud, obnoxious, superficial, consumerist-oriented, prepubescent-teenage-girl-self-esteem destroying 80's are back! AND IT IS SO AMAZING YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND. :rofl:

Seriously, it is such a loud, bright, and outrageously ridiculous show by today's standards, and I friggin' love it for it. :lol:

Of course, had it not had the "Sailor Moon" name attached to it, I'd be rage-hating on it for the exact same reasons I like it. :lol:

On the downside though, I feel about 35% less manly now. Then again, that shouldn't be a worry for someone who watches anime. :lol:

I love the way that Carl Kimlinger put it in his 1st episode review on ANN:
"There are shows that are shows, and then there are shows that are events. This is one of the events. A re-adaptation of mangaka Naoko Takeuchi's 90s mega-hit Sailor Moon, Sailor Moon Crystal is a show with so much historical baggage that it's pretty much impossible to evaluate on its own merits. If any other show were to do, in this day and age, what Crystal does, we might very well taunt it straight to its grave. An ordinary girl who transforms into a magical warrior at the behest of a talking cat? Unknown forces seeking an all-powerful maguffin known only as the Silver Crystal? A mysterious top-hatted man named Tuxedo Mask? With any other provenience, it'd be a joke. But it's not any other provenience. It's Sailor Moon. The original magical girl phenomenon. The show that started it all. These are things we make fun of because Sailor Moon made them ubiquitous."
---------------------

EDIT: so as not to spam too much, I'll update this post instead of making a new one.

Aldnoah.Zero has quite an interesting post-apocalyptic setting. The overall picture does have its cliches (build giant robots to defend humanity, get children to pilot them, Earth 15 years after THE disaster... did anyone say Evangelion?), but once we get to learn a bit more of its intricacies it does become a lot more interesting. Oh, and what makes it even better, it's quite a sci-fi fest, as though they actually seem to at least sort of know what they're talking about. :lol:

Setting aside, the dialogue was solid, the pacing was more than adequate, the music was TOTALLY EPIC (Yuki Kajiura & Kalafina and Hiroyuki Sawano in the same show?! Would you be so kind and take possession of all my currency?), and the art and animation looked great. CG robots and spaceships, but they looked good regardless. The action was very straight-forward and the setting was explained well, leaving little room for speculation, so I expect a twist pretty soon.

Oh, and the ending scene was amazing. Let's talk about that for a second (don't worry, spoiler tags included). I mean, let's just
destroy New Orleans in one shot by dropping a castle/spaceship-meteorite on it
while playing a song by the same composer and the same performer that brought you Kill la Kill's soundtrack, because why the shit not? After all, it's an anime written by Gen "Urobutcher" Urobuchi, and he can do whatever the f*ck he wants.

I am liking it a lot. 4.5/5

Last edited:

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
dat pun :rofl: fuuuucckkk I need to finish the first season! :lol: I have too much to watch. ;_;

bouVIP

Reaction score
Me too D: hoping to catch up this week though since I'll be done working for the summer!!

Also just watched Aldnoah Zero and it's pretty good. It's like a darker version of Gundam.

Edit: Akame ga Kiru is almost out too!!! I highly recommend giving it a watch and hopefully they don't censor it too much.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
^ Well, I went ahead and watched the first episode of Akame ga Kill. Not bad. Not bad at all! I actually found the first 15 or so minutes to be kind of dull. It was funny, but ultimately uninteresting. It didn't show me anything that really grabbed my attention. It felt like picking up any random fantasy/adventure shounen anime in the middle of its 13th season on a filler episode. But then the twist/hook came... shit, son, that was f*cked! It's a lot darker than it is first apparent. Also, I love how Akame came across, and I liked "The Boobs." :rofl: I have no idea where this will lead, but I sense good things coming.

3.5/5 will keep watching!

EDIT: oh, and there was something I forgot to mention. It's only the first episode, so I won't judge from now, but I'll keep an eye on that aspect: it seems like another one of those anime that try to make some sort of social and/or political statement in a rather crude and thoughtless manner. "F*ck the rich!" "mmkay but why?" "Because being rich is bad" "ah, okay, sure." It could be a pretty big complaint if it really goes down that route. If an anime is to make those kinds of statements, it should do so in tasteful, thought-provoking manners. A good example is Death Note. But yeah, like I said, it's just an air it gave off; I can't judge just yet.

bouVIP

Reaction score
Glad you liked it! I just watched it myself and loving the anime version so far. I like the weird funny parts mixed in with how dark and grim it is. Can't wait until my favorite Esdeath shows up.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
^ Resisting the urge to Google that name! :lol: (and please, no, don't clarify! :lol:)

EDIT: although I would like you to clarify my edit above... sorry, added it after you left that post!

bouVIP

Reaction score
Well she's in the intro lol but that's all I'll say....

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Man, I really need to stop watching anime for a while... I think I may have a problem. :lol:

I just watched DRAMAtical Murder episode 1. That was all kinds of interesting. It reminded me a lot of Mekakucity Actors in that its visuals are quite stunning. The very interesting and futuristic/dystopian-looking setting contributes a lot to that. The plot itself... I guess it is sort of interesting, but it's been around before. There's a part to it with some sort of VR game that resembles SAO and Log Horizon a lot, and I'm just not in the mood for anything like that again. It seems like the gaming part of it is a lot less pronounced than in both SAO and LH though. It is also based on a yaoi visual novel. Supposedly the yaoi content has been taken out of the anime, but it still really feels like one. It feels like playing a visual novel, and it's so incredibly obviously yaoi. :lol: Judging from the character design and the suggestive dialogue, I'm not sure if it really has the intention of getting rid of the yaoi content altogether or if it was just for the first episode... we'll see. Regardless, it has a lot of style and it miiiigghhhtt just become interesting.

3/5

Also watched that Rail Wars! episode again to make up my mind on it... eeh... :erk: let's take that rating down to 2.5. I guess I was too hyped for it :lol: the way those characters are set up is downright ridiculous.

DanielC1996

Reaction score
So I haven't posted in here for a minute I just finished Heaven's Lost Property well the 2 seasons that are on netflix anyway. That show is kawaii as shizz the perviness to the show is really funny as well. I also just barely started Baka and Test i'm liking it so far. Last week I watched 07 Ghost that one was really cool IMO. Recommend me some anime to watch, it would be very much appreciated :D

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Continuing my end-of-vacation airing anime rampage, I went ahead and watched the first episode of this anime called Hanayamata. Judging by its first episode alone, I see it as this season's One Week Friends in terms of tone and cuteness. It's an overwhelmingly adorable anime about girls dancing yosakoi. The first episode was almost perfectly paced and very well-rounded. It was an introductory episode, but it still felt like it first set some goals and accomplished them all by the end of it. It also has quite a few absolutely hilarious moments. Really worth taking a look at. Oh, and it's produced by Madhouse Studios, so the art and animation are completely gorgeous. Very well done; I'll try to stick with this one.

It's also funny because I have a friend who is exactly like Hana, one of our main characters. Completely hyper and overwhelmingly optimistic; almost annoyingly so. It's quite contagious.

[shitty lo-fi gif]
tumblr_n8dj5h87UB1s8166so6_r1_400.gif

tumblr_n8df4gk7v91r0bn46o2_500.png

tumblr_n8dh6riztf1rky5jbo3_500.jpg

tumblr_n8dhlg9CLc1tr77yuo1_500.png

EDIT: oops, forgot mandatory first episode rating.
4.5/5

bouVIP

Reaction score
^Gonna need to check that out when I get time!

Just saw the new Space Dandy and omg that episode was hilarious!!!!!

@daniel what genre are you looking for?

DanielC1996

Reaction score
^Gonna need to check that out when I get time!

Just saw the new Space Dandy and omg that episode was hilarious!!!!!

@daniel what genre are you looking for?

Anything really xD but I guess my preference would probably be fantasy

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
@DanielC1996, well, that's really vague, considering that most anime out there is fantasy. :lol: In any case, sticking with fantasy, and if you don't mind dark and complicated plots, I'd recommend Fate/Zero. And the whole Fate series, really. Look into it; it's HUGE. I've made a few posts on it on this thread, should you be interested. But really, just start with Fate/Zero. I'll just leave this here in case you're still not sold...

')