Anime/manga megathread

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
0mpxI.jpg

It had to be done.

Watched the first four eps of Knights of Sidonia... yeaaaaah dunno about this one. It is relatively pretty during the mech scenes, Sidonia looks cool, but the plotting and characters are so extremely flat I don't think I care enough to finish watching it. Plus, outside of the mechs, I find this show to be quite ugly aside from the backgrounds.

It was a cool anime and I don't feel like I wasted my time by watching it, but it had SOOOO much wasted potential. Let's see how the second season pans out this Fall.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Don Vito

Reaction score
Still on a pretty big Persona kick lol. HURRY UP AND RELEASE THE PERSONA 3 MOVIES ANIPLEX I CAN'T WAIT TO PAY FOR YOUR OVERPRICED (but totally cool) COLLECTOR'S EDITION BOX SETS. On a similar note, Sentai really needs to drop some Big O sets because I don't want to pay $100+ for half of that series. Come on guys, I need my Dorothy R. Wayneright fix.
Persona :agreed: The first Persona 3 film covered so little of the game, I was a bit disappointed when I watched it.

Big O was a childhood favorite of mine, and I've been meaning to re-watch it all these years, because it seems like something I could get into even today.

And I finished off the last episode FLCL yesterday afternoon, so now I'm jamming this into the sunset. :cool:

And I'm on episode 5 of Lain. It's hard to sit and watch for long periods of time, but I'm enjoying it so far, even though I have no idea what's going on.

Oh, and one more edit.. I downloaded the episode of Space Dandy I missed last weekend, but no dual audio :( The Japanese version is good, but I'm used to the English dub(which is great).

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
Actually just watched episode 6 last night where they
killed the main character's love interest!

so that has captured my interest. Let that be a lesson to all anime heroes: get it while the gettin's good. Two teenagers spend 11 days stranded in space and all you do is hold hands for two hours? you will be kicking yourself for, basically, the rest of your life.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone a fan of the OP for No Game No Life?

Transcribed it~

Bou Yo (Konomi Suzuki - This Game Tabs)

Holy shit, motherduder! I am definitely a fan of it. It was stuck in my head nonstop for that entire season. That's an awesome transcription man o_O will definitely be learning it at some point. Thanks for sharing it dude, would +rep thrice if I could!

On slightly non-anime but music related news (thanks bouVIP for the segue :lol:), I was not going to attend Heavy Montreal this year, but now I'm considering paying for the ticket just for this:

Babymetal, Unlocking the Truth, Whores. and more added to the lineup! - HEAVY MONTRÉAL HEAVY MONTRÉAL

:rofl: I don't know what to do

Miek

POSTING ON INTERNET
Reaction score
Actually just watched episode 6 last night where they
killed the main character's love interest!

so that has captured my interest. Let that be a lesson to all anime heroes: get it while the gettin's good. Two teenagers spend 11 days stranded in space and all you do is hold hands for two hours? you will be kicking yourself for, basically, the rest of your life.

Tanikaze spent his entire life underground with a dead dude for like half of it, and the other half of the time he was playing giant robot video games. He's basically autistic. That he got that far is pretty impressive.

If you read the manga though, the latest chapter has a pretty fantastic thing in it.

Don Vito

Reaction score
Oh man, I had dream last night where the K-On's were in Robot Chicken. Whatever I'm eating before bed, I need to lay off of it... or not.

Don Vito

Reaction score
Space Dandy.... more fish, more basslines, more loincloth.

edit: MORE DUCKBOAT

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Gah, I feel unexplainably guilty for not having picked Space Dandy back up from where I left the first season. :wallbash:

In other news, this happened:
Screenshot_2014-08-01-23-56-401.png

... :woohoo::woohoo:

Don Vito

Reaction score
Idk what that is.. but I don't think we get anime films here much. I saw a commercial for the new DBZ movie(animated, not live action), and I thought it would be cool to go see, even though I haven't had any interest for DBZ past age 8.

With Space Dandy, I just watch it on TV once a week. That's something I'm usually not good at doing because I forget, or become lazy, but it has garnered enough interest in me I suppose. I never watched every single episode of season 1, and have been meaning to go back to it. I also never watched last week's episode, despite getting a Japanese download.

On another note, I caught episode 13 of AoT dub, which is where I ended my recollection of the series, and I kind of understand why people don't like the dub for this now, including me. Now I feel more comfortable to go forward with it in Japanese.

And Lain, still on episode 5... here's the problem: can't watch it at day because out of house, can't watch it in the afternoon because I live at an apartment with lots of kids(which ruins the atmosphere blah blah), can't watch it at night because step dad playing AC/DC loudly, and can't watch it early morning(12 am) because I'm asleep(except now, because 3 iced coffee drinks, but I don't have my personal computer anyways). So the only time I can watch it is when I wake up, and I waste too much time doing routine stuff around this time. nichijou...

Sorry for the rambling, I'm bored.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Those tickets are for the second screening of the Western release of the second live action film for the Rurouni Kenshin (a.k.a. Samurai X) manga, covering the first part of the second (Kyoto) arc. We get tons of anime-related stuff here in Montreal, luckily enough, with it being the second largest city in Canada and priding itself on its very le-French-avec-des-escargots artsy-fartsy posh kind of culture and all.

I can never commit to watch anything on TV anymore. I mean, as a child I watched all the 300+ Dragon Ball/Z episodes, plus the entire first two seasons of Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Shaman King, Digimon first season, etc etc etc, but since I discovered the internet... nah. Besides, I haven't owned a TV ever since I moved out to an apartment.

Sucks about your living space not letting you be in the mood for Lain though. She's lovely in a very crude, sterile, and contrived kind of way (love my oxymorons). And yeah, the morning routine always makes me not do anything productive and makes me be late everywhere I go. Try going to a quiet place with wifi instead and catch up on some coolness. You can be all hipster and go to one of those cool coffee places where people sit down with their Macs and pretend to work/study.

Also, rambling is cool.

EDIT: I didn't realize you had quoted me on your sig. :lol: I'm honored, senpai-san-dono-sama-kun-chan!

EDIT 2: just watched the two latest Aldnoah.Zero episodes. Few things I'd do differently here and there, and I still don't fully gel with the protagonist, but it was really awesome anyway!

Also just watched the latest Akame ga Kill (episode 4), and it rocked! Akame is a total badass. I smell new WOTS (waifu of the season) material there. Can't wait for the new episode in a few hours! Hopefully I'll be able to watch it soon enough.

Last edited:

Don Vito

Reaction score
I'm really surprised TV isn't dead by now. I know people still have their singing shows and what not, but you'd think Youtube and Netflix would have taken their toll by now. I wouldn't bother watching it at all if it wasn't included with my apartment. And to my knowledge, Space Dandy premieres first on US TV. (At least, according to Cartoon Network is does.) A quick Google search has showed me that it doesn't actually air in Canada. That is a shame, since you gave us the best anime of 1999, Ed, Edd, and Eddy. edit: 2nd best, forgot about Courage-kun.

I would go to a coffee shop to watch Lain, but I have a feeling the Mac people will judge my Asus G73, the warship of modern laptops.

Btw, your new avatar is beautiful.

edit: Had to get another anime avatar, but Lain is too pure for SSO, so I went with a minor SAO character holding a baby blue eyes white dragon from pokemon.

edit 2: Speaking of TV, the station in my old town STILL airs the now defunct G4 channel. Just re-airing the same episodes of the same shows over and over and over. It's funny to see the 2012 episodes of X-Play, when they were trying to whore out Mountain Dew and Halo 4 like everybody else at that time.

I mention this because they're showing the Marvel Blade anime right now, and it's surprisingly good. It has that Teen Titans(which has nothing to do with Shingeki no Kyojin) thing going on, where it feels half American, half Japanese. They also show an Iron Man anime, and I think one for Wolverine as well. But Blade is my favorite.

Despite Twilight soiling the genre a bit, I still ....ing love vampires. The Twilight movies actually aren't as bad as people make them out to be. Maybe a little too macho man sexual(and the sparkling shit is pretty wack), but other than that it's... decent. :shrug:

/rant

Last edited:

bouVIP

Reaction score
Akame is awesome and all, but

Esdeath!!! Esdeath!!! Esdeath!!! Esdeath!!! Esdeath!!! Esdeath!!! Esdeath!!!

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok I just wrote a huge post, but apparently SSO decided to shit on me and tell me my "token has expired" and everything I'd written got deleted. So, .... it. *cries* Long-story short, I watched new Akame ga Kill and they introduced Esdeath. I can't wait to see more of her!

EDIT: also, something about vampires and Kate Beckinsale and Buffy and Angel. And Blue Eyes Ultimate Dragon.
EDIT 2: and this being awesome
blue_eyes_white_dragon_wallpaper_3.jpg

Don Vito

Reaction score
I love Vampire Slayer. And I'm not going off topic here, because the guy who played Spike played Piccolo in DBZ: Evolution. How the mighty have fallen.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Zankyou no Terror is seriously friggin' beautiful. That last episode was amazing. My favorite anime this season by quite a long shot, and the music is absolutely fantastic! EDIT: on that same note, I've noticed that there's so much good music in the different anime shows this season!

Now on to catching up with Tokyo Ghoul! :D

And then, hopefully, the Pscyho-Pass remake, which I watched the first episode of but haven't had time to watch the others.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Holy shit, him and 12 from ZnT really do look like they came from the same mold. :lol: I haven't watched MN though, so what he looks like is as much as I know about his character.

But yeah, ZnT is really cool. Very artsy, yet down to earth. Maybe it's because I'm very conscious that both the director and music composer for Cowboy Bebop and ZnT are the same, but it does slightly remind me of the former in the way that some scenes are played out. One of the last scenes in ZnT's episode 4 (the one with Lisa and 9's bike) reminds me of the all-famous scene from Bebop's Ballad of the Fallen Angels.

EDIT: if you don't mind very minor spoilers (the scene doesn't reveal anything, actually), here's the scene I'm talking about. It's so beautiful:

Don Vito

Reaction score
About to watch episode one!

Uuryu is a terrorist, and is pretty kawaii.

87056098.png

iABxAyuONtgWS.gif

EDIT: if you don't mind very minor spoilers (the scene doesn't reveal anything, actually), here's the scene I'm talking about. It's so beautiful:
gawd, that music ;_;(I mean this in a good way)

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
LOL that's funny. That was not at all the character Google turned up when I searched for "Uuryu." :rofl: I got this guy, instead:
Episode_344_Uryu_Option_3.png

Who reminded me of 9 (not 12 like I said before, sorry) from ZnT:
zankyou-no-terror-0107.jpg

You can tell I haven't watched Mirai Nikki... :ugh:

Also, enjoy that episode :D

')