Anime/manga megathread

Don Vito

Reaction score

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Aaaahh that explains it. :lol: I was confused for a second. I was a bit weirded out that the art in MN was as plain as that character's (the one I posted). :lol:

Cbutler

Reaction score
would probably find a lengthy opinionated discussion if i hunted far enough back, but for the sake of boredom.. thoughts on space dandy? i am pretty picky but it seemed funny. i mean it is directed by the direct godsend Watanabe haha

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
I find it awesome, honestly. I don't understand the (rather minimal) hate it gets. However, I'll let the experts handle this one, :lol: I dropped it the first season for reasons that still elude me.

Don Vito

Reaction score
Hate? I haven't been there in a long time, but apparently even 4chan's /a/ board were pretty optimistic about the series, and they hate everything that isn't some obscure mecha drama from the 90's.

Of course, I'm all about some Space Dandy, and have been keeping up with every episode this season except the one from 2 weeks ago. I'm not exactly great at writing up reviews, but I'll try and ramble for a bit.

The only negative I can find about this series, is that they tend to re-use certain themes a lot. Teleportation/alternate universes/time travel are the norm for an average episode. The newest season even had two episodes centered around a fish. :squint:

The core writing is good though, and I base this opinion solely on the fact that it makes me laugh out loud. I find lots of anime humorous, but they rarely force me to audibly acknowledge it. This could be different based on which language you watch it in. I've been watching it on US tv, so for me it's been English, but I've seen a bit of the Japanese version as well. The English dub is really good by the way.

The highlight of this series would be the animation. The production quality never ever dips from one episode to another, and the universe and different planets Dandy and his crew visit in the show are flippin' gorgeous. Character design is fairly memorable as well.

I haven't payed much attention to the music in the show, but I do love the OP and US ending.

Guh-roovay. :D

Don Vito

Reaction score
Forgot to mention that I finished this.
In non anime news, I tried watching some Japanese TV.
Crunchyroll - No Dropping Out -Back to School at 35- - Episode 1 - Crunchyroll

A little feel-sy and dramatic, but there is some humor and good stuff squeezed in there. And the way it's shot is so different from American TV. Seems more "real' somehow. I think I'm going to keep up with it.
And, yeah.. I'll probably never watch Japanese TV again because of this ....ing show. It was like Glee without the music, and somehow even more mind numbingly stupid. I still like the way it's shot though.

Cbutler

Reaction score
yeah the dub is actually pretty amazing. i need to finish SE01! my friends hate it it until i tell them the creator. a fish? oh man

Skyblue

Reaction score
Realized I forgot I never saw Black Lagoon. Few hours later and I'm halfway through already :lol:

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
In other news, this happened:
Screenshot_2014-08-01-23-56-401.png

... :woohoo::woohoo:

Those tickets are for the second screening of the Western release of the second live action film for the Rurouni Kenshin (a.k.a. Samurai X) manga, covering the first part of the second (Kyoto) arc.

So, I went to watch this yesterday at the cinema with a massive crowd of other Rurouni Kenshin fans. I seriously still want to cry from how great it was. One of the most intense fangasms I've ever had, for sure. Also, the crowd watching the film was epically entertaining. It really does make a difference when the people around you actually know what the f*ck is going on and all react to the same things. :lol:

Fat-Elf

Banned
Reaction score
First post decided what anime I start watching tonight.

Ps. No Boku no Pico, I've already seen it.

Don Vito

Reaction score

Hi Hi Puffy Ami x Yumi

The only show I'm watching at the moment(besides Lain a.k.a let's make 25 minutes seem like 3 hours) is Zankyou no Terror, but I can't tell you if it's good or not since I'm too early into it. Actually, you should probably still watch it.

So, I went to watch this yesterday at the cinema with a massive crowd of other Rurouni Kenshin fans. I seriously still want to cry from how great it was. One of the most intense fangasms I've ever had, for sure. Also, the crowd watching the film was epically entertaining. It really does make a difference when the people around you actually know what the f*ck is going on and all react to the same things. :lol:
I wish I could relish in your excitement.. but I still don't know what this is :lol: I googled it, and I've seen that character around forever. Like in Shonen Jump magazines as a kid and stuff.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score

I feel like that should make me worry, but all it did was make me roflcopter around my room.

@Don, if you ever want to try out what it's all about, I suggest you begin with the manga (the series also goes by the name Samurai X in some western countries), and, if you wish to see it animated, go ahead and watch the first two arcs of the anime (the rest of it I'll leave up to you, since it's not bad, but it isn't canon either. It deviates completely from the manga).

If you ever want to watch a work of art (one of my favorites), watch one of the anime's OVAs, titled Rurouni Kenshin: Trust and Betrayal. It basically focuses on the first part of the third arc of the manga, which explores Kenshin's past as an assassin and how and why he stopped. It has a very serious and a dark, heavy tone, unlike the anime, but everything about it is just perfect. If it's of any help to convince you, it's #4 on ANN's top 10 anime list, and #14 on My Anime List.

Don Vito

Reaction score
If you ever want to watch a work of art (one of my favorites), watch one of the anime's OVAs, titled Rurouni Kenshin: Trust and Betrayal. It basically focuses on the first part of the third arc of the manga, which explores Kenshin's past as an assassin and how and why he stopped. It has a very serious and a dark, heavy tone, unlike the anime, but everything about it is just perfect. If it's of any help to convince you, it's #4 on ANN's top 10 anime list, and #14 on My Anime List.
That seems more convenient to me. Thanks!

It's kind of impossible to grow up in late 00's chan culture and not watch Boku no Pico at some point. It's a classic.

Don Vito

Reaction score
I was just talking about Miyazaki... never watched any of his movies, but I imagine they're sort of in the vein of a Studio DEEN production.

Skyblue

Reaction score
I was just talking about Miyazaki... never watched any of his movies, but I imagine they're sort of in the vein of a Studio DEEN production.

That's actually my first of his movies (well, I saw the last half of Ponyo a few years ago on TV...) Story was great, animations and overall artistic ideas were awesome. Definitely going to check out more from him. I'll probably go on either Howl's Moving Castle or My Neighbour Totoro.

Definitely recommended!

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
dafaq, that's like imagining Slayer playing church music for a living. Spirited Away is one of the most artsy and dreamy things that I have ever seen. Studio DEEN is like... I don't even know (although I used to love Eat-Man as a kid, and Fruits Basket has a pretty good reputation).

Don Vito

Reaction score
Tom Araya was probably a choir boy. I should watch it this weekend, just to finally say I've watched a Miyazaki film. There's a comic store down the street with a huge poster for it in their front window.

')