Anime/manga megathread

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
That first bit about trying to get Meow out of that picture, have you tried using Paint.net?

But on point, the two cons that I went to were never me going by myself (well, we really can't count AnimeDay which was a one day marketplace, that one I did go by myself). But then again, I mostly wandered around the cons by myself, while my other friends were doing other things around the con
But if you DO go to that con, we all expect a pic with you and Nobuo Uematsu

I just realized I'm an idiot. I hesitated too long and now the tickets for the Final Fantasy concert with Uematsu are sold out. :wallbash::wallbash: I didn't even know about this event, I just thought he'd be doing a panel or something. Huge bummer... screw having analysis paralysis, seriously.

Guests of Honour - Otakuthon 2014

I don't know if he'll be making appearances in other events, so I doubt I'll end up going now. I have to ask about that.

I think this one will be going to the confessions thread soon. :noplease:

Oh, and thanks for telling me about Paint.NET! I'm gonna download it and check it out. EDIT: nvm, I'm still running on Vista... :ugh: another reason to upgrade to Windows 7.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MetalGravy

Making a meat suit
Reaction score
any case... are any of you guys con-goers? Have you ever been to one alone? Otakuthon is happening this coming weekend, but all of my friends who are going are either selling stuff (so they'll spend the entire time at the dealer's section) or are staff, and I feel very awkward going to a con (of all things) by myself, and I think I may not end up going. Thing is... Nobuo Uematsu (yeah :eek:) and the dude who sings "Ask DNA" in the Cowboy Bebop film will be there, among other cool peeps, and I'd hate to miss that. I'm just wondering what it's like to go alone to a con...

Right here, though, not as many as I'd like :rolleyes:. I've hit ACen and AnimeIowa so far this year. I've been meaning to hit Otakon again for a while, but who know when that will happen.

Don Vito

Reaction score
Oh, and thanks for telling me about Paint.NET! I'm gonna download it and check it out. EDIT: nvm, I'm still running on Vista... :ugh: another reason to upgrade to Windows 7.
I have Windows 7, and it won't let me install it unless I have the latest service pack, which is like a 5GB download :rofl:

I'm not sure there are any cons where I live that aren't held in small libraries full of painfully out of date Inuyasha cosplayers lol. I hear Anime Weekend in Atlanta is good though, and that's coming up in September.

habicore_5150

El Psy Congroove
Reaction score
As promised, I need to get a copy of Tales of the Abyss. Just finished all 26 episodes of the anime. Honestly, this is the first time that I actually got a bit teary eyed when the ending came about

Now to look around for others that I might need to watch. Might as well watch Akame ga Kill!

EDIT: Birth of the 1,111th post (probably won't make it up to 8,888 to appease Death the Kid)

Ikiharmaa

It's all white.
Reaction score
there we go, praise the power of photoshop cs3:

wAeOb5C.png

bouVIP

Reaction score
Anyone else watching Tokyo ESP? I really like the ending~ makes me want an E-II 8 string

wat

Reaction score
^ Good to hear you're getting into anime! I'd say you should watch:
Cowboy Bebop, which I think goes hand-in-hand with Trigun as they complement each other very well (even if they have nothing to do with each other storywise).
You rightly mentioned GitS and NGE.
You should also probably watch Spice and Wolf if you're into character development, character interactions, and witty scripts and/or dialogues. You have the first season of this show on Funimation's YouTube channel, and the second season is on Netflix (in Canada).
Death Note and Code Geass for their ridonkulous epicness and smart plots.
Haibane Renmei for its incredibly beautiful and soulful nature, which gets you thinking a lot.
Madoka Magica because it's so awesome seeing the generally non-serious magical girl genre being torn to pieces, not to mention it is actually amazing in and of itself.
Steins;Gate if you like sci-fi and intense and sudden plot twists along with great characters.
Clannad, since the second season is one of the most beautifully heart-ripping things I've ever watched, and it's great seeing a story that feels as complete and fleshed out as this one.
I would personally also recommend Planetes if you happen to like hard sci-fi a la 2001: A Space Odyssey, but with a ton of character development.
Those are just some of the ones I really like, and I'm sure I'm missing a few others.
Here's a pretty good video listing 25 must-watch shows that I agree with for the most part. I like the way he reviews anime:
EDIT: I don't know why I didn't say this at the beginning of my post, but go through a few pages of this thread. There are a lot of things people have recommended already, so you'll surely find some that are interesting.

I watched Death Note per your recomendation. :bowdown: It was amazing.

In addition to Death Note, Trigun and Attack On Titan, I've now completed Black Butler 1 & 2, Knights Of Sidionia, Sword Art Online, and am in the middle of Psycho-Pass which I think is just godly so far...I'm also current on Attack on Titan and Knights of Sidonia's mangas. :cool:

Don Vito

Reaction score
Did anyone watch the latest episode of Space Dandy? We're all musicians so I assumed it'd be more entertaing to all of you, it was for me at least. The drums were programmed....lulz
I was cracking up at their first gig. Playing the same riff for 2 hours? :bowdown::lol:

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone else watching Tokyo ESP? I really like the ending~ makes me want an E-II 8 string

I watched the first episode and really liked it, so I eagerly awaited the second one. I found the second one so dumb that I immediately dropped it. :lol: I thought it had potential a la Akame ga Kill, but that episode came and it was like insta-suck. I'll admit I found the ED song really cool though; I was happy to hear some ERG riffage in there.

I watched Death Note per your recomendation. :bowdown: It was amazing.

In addition to Death Note, Trigun and Attack On Titan, I've now completed Black Butler 1 & 2, Knights Of Sidionia, Sword Art Online, and am in the middle of Psycho-Pass which I think is just godly so far...I'm also current on Attack on Titan and Knights of Sidonia's mangas. :cool:

Haha I feel like such a hypocrite :lol: I've only watched the first 10 episodes of Death Note and one of the live-actions ages ago (first one). :rolleyes: I do know pretty much the entire story, including the ending though, and most of the tropes that came out of it. Still have to finish it; it's such an entertaining show.

You're on a roll though :lol: that's quite a few anime! How'd you like Black Butler? My little sister keeps bothering me to watch it, but I kind of refuse. :lol:

---------

Somewhat unrelated but... I watched Scott Pilgrim vs. the World last night (LOVED IT), and, amidst its innumerable references to pop ("nerd") culture, I found a strong resemblance, if only in essence, to FLCL, except it's a ton less weird (putting FLCL's strangeness in good perspective :lol:).

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Man I've been out of the anime loop... :lol:

I've recently started to watch some again now I've been visiting my sister's house often, she's been giving me some for viewing. Attack On Titan, I swear I will watch eventually, and I need to get into Knights of Sidonia as well.

...except I stated re-watching Mobile Figher G Gundam instead. :lol: I forgot how un-Gundam that series was, but damn it's glorious.

wat

Reaction score
Haha I feel like such a hypocrite :lol: I've only watched the first 10 episodes of Death Note and one of the live-actions ages ago (first one). :rolleyes: I do know pretty much the entire story, including the ending though, and most of the tropes that came out of it. Still have to finish it; it's such an entertaining show.

You're on a roll though :lol: that's quite a few anime! How'd you like Black Butler? My little sister keeps bothering me to watch it, but I kind of refuse. :lol:

I loved Black Butler. It's in 18th century England & is about 13 year-old Ciel Phantomhive, an Earl & loyal servant to Queen Victoria who inherited the estate when his parents were murdered. He sold his soul to a demon butler, Sebastian Michaelis, to help him avenge his family's death in exchange for Ciel's soul. Ciel, dubbed "the Queen's Guard-dog" and Sebastian solve crime cases and do the Queen's dirty work while trying to find his family's murderers.

It's pretty smart and unique and the nature of the demonic contract does a lot to make the show interesting similar to how the nature of the notebook makes Death Note really interesting. It also ties in with Jack The Ripper, the spread of opium through england and ties some historical figures and events into a plot about the war between heaven and hell.

Don Vito

Reaction score
Somewhat unrelated but... I watched Scott Pilgrim vs. the World last night (LOVED IT), and, amidst its innumerable references to pop ("nerd") culture, I found a strong resemblance, if only in essence, to FLCL, except it's a ton less weird (putting FLCL's strangeness in good perspective :lol:).
I effin' loved this movie! I can see the Fooly Cooliness now :lol: His Rickenbacker bass only adds to it all.

milk and eggs bitch

bouVIP

Reaction score
Sort of anime related...they brough SAO Hollow Fragments for PS Vita to NA which is awesome!!!

BviCAfzIQAAEAwn.jpg:large

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
So I did end up going to Otakuthon, but, as expected, I missed everything involving Nobuo Uematsu. It's okay though, I got to spend most of the day talking to random strangers in cosplay and walking around the (humongous and overcrowded) dealers' room.

I got a poster and a very special print from my favorite freelance anime artist at the moment, who happens to be from here and had her booth set up in the artists' area. Her artist name is Sakimi-chan, and some of you might have actually seen some of her work around the interwebz; she's gotten quite popular, especially with some of the super sick gender-benders that she's done (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sakimi-chan/1409836239257534?fref=ts). I got her Samus poster, and her Mononoke-hime print. The latter is what got me into her work a few years back, and is what I had as my phone's wallpaper for well over a year. It is also my favorite artist interpretation that I have seen of any anime ever, so it is a very special piece for me. I got both pieces signed (Samus one the back and Mononoke on the front), so I am super stoked about having been able to get two Sakimi-chan originals. :D She's a total sweetheart, too, and I might just end up getting another print from her tomorrow haha.

20140822_232930.jpg

20140822_232949.jpg

And I also got a copy of Haibane Renmei. It's the only copy of it that I saw at the whole con, so I'm really happy that I got it. It's also one of my favorite anime, so I consider myself lucky. I was about to spend almost twice as much on Spice and Wolf (both seasons) instead, but I decided that it's a lot harder to find a Haibane Renmei copy.

20140822_233246.jpg

I also have another purchase tomorrow. It's my biggest purchase for this con, and it's something that I have been wanting to get for some time now. It's totally beautiful. I'll wait until I finally get it to post it though. ;)

I am super, super glad that I decided to go to this con. I am a con-virgin no more, and it is marvelous. I can't wait for the rest of the weekend! :D Hopefully tomorrow I'll spend more time going to panels and screenings. This con is turning out to be a pretty big one this year - a lot bigger than anybody expected - and there is a lot scheduled (and unscheduled) that I am really looking forward to. :scream:

Don Vito

Reaction score
:bowdown:

Really dig that artwork.

And that angel looks so much like Lain!

Last edited:

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Haha Yoshitoshi ABe, maing. ;) He was the artist and character designer of SEL, and Haibane Renmei is his brainchild, in its entirety (art and writing). Same kind of philosophical vein that Lain is on, but actually understandable and super laid back and chilled out. That doesn't mean it isn't dark thoug; it's dark, if only because of how real it feels. Beautiful anime.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Not sure what this is from, but it's one of the few times I'll tolerate the 'anime face'

ns4IGrX.gif

')