Anime/manga megathread

glassmoon0fo

Some Say...
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm not a major consumer of anime lately but just stopped by to say that Psycho Pass and Knights of Sedonia are the SHIT. Currently rewatching Hunter x Hunter for nostalgia, turns out I never finished it so here's hoping it doesn't suck later in the series.

Also, if you havn't seen Requiem for a Phantom, that's a damn good one.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bouVIP

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm not a major consumer of anime lately but just stopped by to say that Psycho Pass and Knights of Sedonia are the SHIT. Currently rewatching Hunter x Hunter for nostalgia, turns out I never finished it so here's hoping it doesn't suck later in the series.

Also, if you havn't seen Requiem for a Phantom, that's a damn good one.

Are you watching old HxH or 2011 one? Cause the new 1 is ending soon :(

HurrDurr

Lord of all Things
Reaction score
Hey folks, I've been away from this thread for a while and sorry if I'm interrupting an on-going conversation, but what are some good mecha anime in the vein of Gundam? Gundam's always been my thing but lately I'm just curious as to what else is out there while I await the Gundam Origin series to be released. Thanks!

bouVIP

Reaction score
You should take a look at Valvrave (Gundam with teen angst), Suisei no Gargantia, Aldnoah Zero, and Code Geass. They might not exactly be similar to Gundam, but they are pretty good mech series.

glassmoon0fo

Some Say...
Reaction score
Are you watching old HxH or 2011 one? Cause the new 1 is ending soon :(

I don't really know, I watched in college and the Greed Island arch hadn't even dropped yet, so I'm assuming it's the first series. Glad to know it's still running, it was one of my favorites back in the gap :yesway:

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
I second Knights of Sidonia and Aldnoah.Zero as cool mechs (even though the latter I've only watched the first 6 episodes of). I started watching the Psycho-Pass re-release, but haven't watched past the first episode. The premise is really cool, the first episode was really cool, and with the story writer being Gen Urobuchi, it is bound for nothing but greatness.

In other news, this sums up my thoughts on Rail Wars (which I only watched the first two episodes of):

AHMAHGAHD GET DA BUGZPREY
NSFW: it is loud and vulgar.

Oh, and for the Persona fans, here's a cool little thing Nintendo is releasing, although I'm not sure how interesting the new Persona Q game for the 3DS will be for long-time fans of the franchise:

BisU6kRCIAIFs0N.png:medium

Don Vito

Reaction score
I totally forgot about Persona Q. I was excited for it earlier this year, as I thought about picking up the Zelda XL, but I don't have the money to blow on gaming stuff anymore.

*clicks under $5 on Steam store* :(

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Hey folks, I've been away from this thread for a while and sorry if I'm interrupting an on-going conversation, but what are some good mecha anime in the vein of Gundam? Gundam's always been my thing but lately I'm just curious as to what else is out there while I await the Gundam Origin series to be released. Thanks!

Assuming you haven't seen any of the following:

As stated, There's Knights Of Sidonia, which carries the Gundam theme of war and it's consequences. Gundam veterans will be very comfortable here... speaking which, I really should take my own advice and watch this. :lol:

Code Geass is also very similar, as it's politically driven and it has it's own Char Aznable like figure. Great anime overall.

Another Gundam-like series is Zone Of The Enders. It serves as a prequel to the games, and dabbles with the Neon Genesis/RahXephon style mysticism... but only a tiny bit.

If you want something more space opera vein, you can check out the Macross seres. It's one big universe so start at the beginning to get the full enjoyment of it, but it's not necessary. Plus the whole series is rich in lore.

For something a bit more light hearted, Gurren-Lagann is another solid choice. At times it pokes fun on the genre, but it's enjoyable through and through.

The Patlabor series is an odd choice but still highly recommended. It's slower paced over the rest, and very low key generally speaking.

I'm not gonna recommend Evangelion as everyone and their dog has already seen it. :lol: I will recommend RahXephon as I once wrote it off as a verbatim Eva clone, but it turns out to be much more than that.

Don Vito

Reaction score
I've never watched Evangelion either. I guess there's so much hype surrounding it, that I'm afraid it won't live to any expectations. Kind of like Madoka, an anime I highly enjoyed, but was skeptical about due to the over hype, and also the fact that I watched the first 2 episodes when it was airing, and thought "meh generic moe action PASS".

Kullerbytta

Newborn
Reaction score
I, too, have never watched Evangelion and I've had dogs since I was little :lol:
No idea as to why I've not seen it yet, everybody's all crazy about it.

Maybe it's because I've been reluctant to watch animes from the start and the only reason I did watch the ones I did was because my friends were going ape-shit about the ones they've seen :shrug:

I don't dislike anime or manga at all, it's just that if no one is practically forcing me to watch one I don't bother looking up any by myself.

The ones I've seen I've really enjoyed, though they're mostly all the mainstream ones.

Death Note
Code Geass
Hellsing (series and OVA's)
Bleach (I actually stopped watching it and started reading the manga during Hueco Mundo-arc)
FMA and started watching Brotherhood (again, friends were going ape-shit about it)
FLCL - Favorite so far. Delightful experience, I love The Pillows and just about the right running time and number of episodes for me
Gantz - Don't remember much. Apart from many lulz and many wut's. Liked it though.
Elfend Lied - This was the one that din't hold up to all the praise everyone gave it. The whole idea is exactly my cup o' tea... But I just din't care :/

Don Vito

Reaction score
I tried re-watching Elfen Lied earlier this year, as I planned to show it in the group stream we had just for lulz. I couldn't make it past the first episode. I never finished it initially because I hated it so much by the mid point, and age certainly didn't help. It's so bad. :lol:

habicore_5150

El Psy Congroove
Reaction score
I tried re-watching Elfen Lied earlier this year, as I planned to show it in the group stream we had just for lulz. I couldn't make it past the first episode. I never finished it initially because I hated it so much by the mid point, and age certainly didn't help. It's so bad. :lol:

Speaking of which, aren't we due for another stream at some point?

Don Vito

Reaction score
The first stream was fun, but a technical pain in the arse on my end. I'm reluctant, but I guess we could try again.

Voting begins now. I nominate Hitler for the Ice Bucket challenge, and I think we should watch Evangelion, because their are 4 confirmed people in the thread that haven't seen it(me, 2 guys up there ^, and Fat Elf).

edit: oh, but of course there are ....ing time conflictions when it comes to getting Eurobros in the stream.. everyone from the last stream was from the Americas iirc

Last edited:

HurrDurr

Lord of all Things
Reaction score
Knights of Sidonia I've seen what's out so far (S1 on Netflix) and absolutely loved it. Yes, very comfortable to watch as a veteran Gundam fan. I dabbled a bit in Code Geass way back as a wee lad, but don't remember much of it, so definitely should be getting around to watching a few episodes of that again soon. Zone of the Enders has always intrigued me, yet I've never given myself the time to sit down and play any of the games or watch any episodes of the show. I've seen a remastered box set of all the games out on PS3 before, so I might make a grab for that as an excuse to drag myself away from Destiny on my PS4 and wipe the dust off the older machine. I'm not entirely sure, but is it Code Geass that has some sort of ties to the Gundam franchise? I heard something about a write/creator/designer for Gundam as part of the dev team for a mech anime and I think it was CG, which would probably explain my original interested in it way back then. I don't know, it may have been about another show but my memory serves it was CG.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Add another one to the "never seen Evangelion" list, I have however seen this which I imagine is as close as I'll come for some time

bouVIP

Reaction score
I too have never seen Evangelion, but I do love Cruel Angel Thesis

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, then we definitely need to set up an Eva stream. I've seen Evangelion about twenty seven thousand nine hundred and thirty eight times by now, but I'm always down to watch it again.

')