Anime/manga megathread

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Don Vito

Reaction score
I've also been dying to watch NGE. What's this Eva stream?
Earlier this year, we got together and streamed Persona 3 and Space Dandy on Twitch. It was a bit frustrating for me, due to a brief software malfunction, and the fact that I had to run another computer just to use the chat(as my main computer was playing the movie full screen). And when you use the chat on a separate device, you're also using the stream and more bandwidth. I think this is what caused the streaming program to screw up.

I've done some research to see what the l33t anime savvy image boards use for their streams, and let me tell you, the technology has not surpassed what we currently have :lol:

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Which NGE movies? The old ones or the Rebuild series? If you haven't (sorry, my memory fails me), watch the original series first. Then watch The End of Evangelion film (a retelling of the las two episodes of the series). Skip over the Death and Rebirth film as it is absolutely useless (being just a short and ineffective recap of the series and then the first few minutes of The End of Eva).

Once you're done with that, watch the Rebuild of Evangelion films (of which, so far, we only have 3 out of 4 movies). They're basically a retelling of the original story. The first two movies don't deviate much from the original series, but have absolutely BRILLIANT animation and are a lot more to the point, instead of wasting time meandering through the character's messed up psyches. The third is 100% new material, and is totally weird and incomprehensible in true Eva fashion. Also, lots of fanservice for Kaworu + Shinji fangirls.

The reason I say that you watch the original series first is because the Rebuild series' quality is so much higher that you will likely be put off by the original show's animation. The original show is still my favorite in terms of story and development though. Yes, it is confusing, and yes, it is weird and depressing, and no, it's not very understandable upon first (or second, third, fourth, n-th) watch, but that is, to me, what Evangelion is all about.

MetalGravy

Making a meat suit
Reaction score
^ lol

I know this is something I should have posted in the Gear/Pedals thread, but apparently this is a thing now (and yes, I had to check, they ran out of stock in what I can assume was less than 24 hours)

You could make some really :agreed: sounds with that and a whammy pedal.

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score
The first stream was fun, but a technical pain in the arse on my end. I'm reluctant, but I guess we could try again.

Voting begins now. I nominate Hitler for the Ice Bucket challenge, and I think we should watch Evangelion, because their are 4 confirmed people in the thread that haven't seen it(me, 2 guys up there ^, and Fat Elf).

edit: oh, but of course there are ....ing time conflictions when it comes to getting Eurobros in the stream.. everyone from the last stream was from the Americas iirc

YES YESYESYESYEYSYESYESY IVE NEVAH WATCHED EVA :scream:

Don Vito

Reaction score
The reason I say that you watch the original series first is because the Rebuild series' quality is so much higher that you will likely be put off by the original show's animation.
This sentence confuses me greatly.

Anchang-Style

Reaction score
Found the K-On Movie on Blu Ray at my public library (yeah my public library got like 500 Movies on BD and 2000 on DVD...it rocks)...yeah not a K-On fan but still gonna give it a shot just for shit and giggles.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
This sentence confuses me greatly.

:lol:

- (1995-1996) Neon Genesis Evangelion animation + art quality = amazing for the time, meh by today's standards.
- (2007-present) Rebuild of Evangelion's animation + art quality = holy shitballs gouge my eyeballs out no need to see anything else ever.

If you watch Rebuild first and then go back and watch the 1995 original series, you'll be all "why does this shit look so bad" and that might stop some from enjoying the series to the fullest. It happened to one of my roommates, who didn't like the original series after having watched Rebuild. Also, original Eva has synchronized-dance murder and low-budget, acid-induced doodles; Rebuild doesn't. You wouldn't want to not enjoy that.

I tried looking for reference material to support my point, but it seems Bandai has gone all stupid recently and have decided to ban a bunch of previously available videos with which I could have compared the two.

habicore_5150

El Psy Congroove
Reaction score
You could make some really :agreed: sounds with that and a whammy pedal.

Honestly, I kinda wanna get this just so I'd have something to experiment with. Really surprised that nobody on my Facebook went after me after I said "Forget the Axe-FX, I want this instead!"

But on a side note, after taking an unexpected trip to the mall a few days ago, I came home with a Death the Kid rubber wristband and a Sword Art Online throw blanket, which is REALLY comfy

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
Rebuild of Eva 2.0 was so goddamn good it blew my mind. The whole part at the end, when all that stuff goes down... I'd been waiting for that for like 15 years. Then that surprise post-credit twist ending? God damn!

Like, Shinji finally manning up, being so awesome he generates a new arm using an AT field, shot a ....in eye beam with a cross explosion and epic music playing and all that! Third (or is it fourth?) Impact? OMGOMGOMGOMG so ....in cool! Then he gets skewered by the Lance of Longinus, and Kaworu drops down from the ....in Moon!?!?!?!?!

Then I heard 3.0 was definitely insane and debatably horrible, and I still haven't worked up the heart to watch it.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
^ 2.0 was brilliant and refreshing. I still miss the f*ckedness of the original show, but the first two films (especially 2.0) of Rebuild are A LOT more palatable and easy to digest.

3.0 worked in true, tried and tested (and still with mixed results) Evangelion fashion. It was great, but it... well... you just have no idea what the hell is going on for 3/4 of the movie, and there are A LOT of questions left up in the air, which everyone hopes will be covered in 4.0 (apparently now officially called 3+1 >_>). Also, there are a lot of changes and new things that gave mixed feelings to someone who's been a fan of the show for the last 16 years, like the
new, kinda silly form of Unit 02 and that goddamn flying ship... although Unit 13 is one of the most ungodly badass things that I have ever seen.
I wouldn't say it was horrible, but it was very different and very polarizing.

I really should get around to re-watching that film.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Started watching Barakamon. SO ADORABLE. It's also absolutely hysterical and full of personality so far. It should be very relatable for a lot of us, too, given that it's about a professional calligrapher who constantly puts in doubt his own skills and struggles to find inspiration to continue his art. Very laid back and chilled out slice of life. I'm barely on episode 4, and I can already sense the emptiness I'll feel once it finishes airing.

tumblr_n9dcg5GQ3q1tay6dvo1_500.jpg

barakamon_rashisa.jpg

14563883776_bcd8930f6f_z.jpg

tumblr_n8z9kjeKiw1totg5co1_500.gif

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
Alright I watched Evangelion 3.33 last night and... sorry man, but IMO it was horrible. Zero out of Five stars. An absolutely massive letdown after 2.22. All of the insane plot decisions could have worked, but the movie failed at even the most basic storytelling.

It is an Idiot Plot, there were more lines of technobabble than there were actual lines in the script, the composition of the action scenes was terrible especially compared to the great stuff in 2.22. In the opening fight I really couldn't tell what was happening. The way the whole climax played out was just "whaaaaaaaaat" and I think most of the story was exposited by Kaworu in one paragraph about 2/3rds of the way through the movie. The movie didn't even look that great - again, I thought it was a huge step down from 2.22. Where did all that time and money go? Did they throw out a complete movie just to go with what we ended up with?

There was no beginning (left all of that out - 14 year time skip), no ending, and a confusing, muddled middle. It was really, really, really Bad. I really want that hour and a half of my life back :lol:

...I'll probably still watch the final movie

bouVIP

Reaction score
I only watched 1 episode of Barakamon before stopping cause I prematurely thought it was meh, but after seeing so many funny gifs I'm going to start it again.

6e7FRZy.gif

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
Just finished watching Sword Art Online. Overall I enjoyed it, despite having some annoying characters and plot paths...also the first half of the show was much more engaging than the second. I like the concept; it reminded me somewhat of .Hack a bit, though I like .Hack's concept a little better the actual show was pretty boring IMO.

Not my favorite anime, but definitely decent and interesting enough to finish it.

QUOTIN' MAHSELF. I started rewatching this recently since it appears I had actually missed a couple episodes, and at the time of watching it the first time I definitely had issues with it but overall I thought it was decent. I dunno if it was just because it was new to me or because I was with my girlfriend watching it at the time and we could joke around about stuff within the show, but this time around I found I maybe kind of hated it. -.- Not to slam it hard but ultimately I think the show had a lot of potential and just squandered it all at pretty much every opportunity. Sorry, I don't want this to come off as a nerd-rant. It just didn't sit well that I had praised it (half-praised, really) and had a change of heart about it. I AM glad I watched it at least, to see what all the hype was about when it was more new.

On another note, I watched the first season of Knights of Sidonia on Netflix, and then liked it a lot so I read up to current on the manga. There is some awesome sci-fi conceptual world-building stuff in there, fo' real. I feel like it drags sometimes though, but so far it's still neat anyways.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
^ Sounds like me on the SAO front, except I admittedly enjoyed the anime because I found it very entertaining. I'm also really pumped for Knights of Sidonia's second season! :scream: Anybody know if it will be directly released through Netflix or if it'll be broadcast elsewhere?

As for Eva 3.0... I'd need to re-watch it. I know I had very mixed feelings about it once I finished it, but it kinda grew on me after a while, for reasons that are perhaps not even valid. Maybe I just want to give it another chance. I do think it worked in a very Eva way though, in the sense that it felt exactly as though Hideaki Anno decided to turn around, sit down, and shit all over his fans' hopes and expectations while still receiving praise for it, which is something that he has proven to be VERY good at ever since the original series came out.

The film did provide us with this though, which I think is one of the most beautiful tracks I've heard in anime. Such a lovely, lovely voice, and such a lovely and dramatic tune:
Sakura Nagashi of Utada Hikaru in video on Jukebox
(No YouTube link, sorry)

wat

Reaction score
^^I agree with the above about SOA. Overall I enjoyed it but..

And yeah, Knights of Sidonia is :bowdown:. First manga I've read too.

I just started watching DeadMan Wonderland on netflix & it's pretty sweet. It's about a prison where they film gameshows & reality TV with the prisoners for funding. A demon(or something) kills everyone in the MC's school classroom causing him to be convicted for the murder and sent to the prison where as he struggles to adapt to life there, he finds himself wrapped up in a sprawling conspiracy. The show gets shockingly twisted and morbid at times :eek:

I would recommend anyone and everyone to watch Psycho-Pass. :bowdown: Futuristic dystopian police show where everyone has a sensor that measures their mental state. If your "crime coefficient" gets too high you're considered a "latent criminal", & you're arrested and forced into therapy, jailed, or even killed on the spot if it's too high. The police inspectors employ latent criminals with an aptitude for policework to do the dirty work for them so that their own psycho-passes don't get messed up from the violence. The main character is a 19-year-old girl who just started as a police inspector.

It's so well done in every aspect that it's insane. The setting, plot, characters, animation, etc. are all just ace. Just an awesome, awesome show.

And I really like this song from the show :bowdown:

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
SAO is definitely a one-watch kind of show. I tried watching it a second time through and was just fvcking BORED by episode 8, which is a shame, but I still love it as a series.

')