Anime/manga megathread

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
^I was actually eyeing the Ryuko figma when I took the plunge on another one a few days ago, even though I haven't even watched Kill la Kill yet. :lol: I like figmas for that specific reason: they almost look like statues, rather than poseable figures. The one I bought has quite a broad range of motion, but the only joints you can barely see are at the elbows. I have a friend who has the Mikasa Ackerman figma, and it looks absolutely fantastic (she also got the figma's base signed by Yui Ishikawa :eek:). They're all sculpted very, very nicely. That, and they are a lot cheaper than most of the other statues out there.

I've also just been informed that the release date of the figma I pre-ordered has been postponed from September to late November T_____T... it was so close... I also really wanted it for this upcoming anime season, because of reasons...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Don Vito

Reaction score
There's too much butt cheek and under boob for me to proudly display.
51ibTDpE0aL.jpg

^ That doesn't even look comfortable! edit: whoops not a figma, but the same basic idea

ferret

Reaction score
Deadman Wonderland was fantastic. And you get to finish it! :p When I was reading it, it went on hiatus due the mangaka's pregnancy for year. :p

wat

Reaction score
^In the middle of watching Deadman Wonderland a second time. Lots of good stuff I'm picking up on that I didn't catch the first time. :yesway:

I watched the 1st few episodes of Welcome to the N.H.K. last night. Love it. :D My first anime that isn't fantasy/sci-fi either. Would this be considered "slice of life"?

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to the NHK does have a lot of slice of life elements, but it is a lot more than that. As absolutely hilarious and relatable as it can be, it is also extremely depressing very often, delving deep into the characters' psyche. The show's climax is... well, I'd rather you see it for yourself, but it is intense. It's actually one of the few parts from the anime that I still remember. Beautiful, beautiful show. I really should watch that one again, because it spoke to me very personally, and I can't remember much of it.

bouVIP

Reaction score
anyone watched Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun? best comedy of this season, even better than Barakamon

OMG YES!!! I LOVED IT!!! It is by far my favorite anime from this season. So many funny moments.

Seo is my fav char haha

tumblr_nccz593bts1t96soyo1_500.gif

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
I just watched the very last episode of Zankyou no Terror...

tumblr_inline_n5sywkuqBK1r8x9ve.gif

... I don't even know, man. I don't even know...

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
^ Yeah, it's honestly the best anime I've watched this year (that was released this year, that is). I just wrote a small review of sorts over at ANN addressing some of the criticism it has received. I am currently feverishly defending it against the arguments I'm being thrown :lol: (people there are friggin' harsh towards newer shows... o_O). The anime did have its flaws here and there, but what it did well, it did brilliantly enough to overshadow its shortcomings.

wat

Reaction score
I have a question about Netflix subtitles and closed-caption. :scratch:

On some anime shows, under "subtitles" I have a choice between "English" and "English [CC]".

"English" is just yellow subtitles.
"English CC is white subtitles with Closed Captioning so it also describes sounds like [loud crash], [eerie chanting], etc.

Thing is, sometimes the actual dialogue is really different between the two. Here's an example from Deadman wonderland.

"English" setting:
Ganta: If I become stronger, I won't have to be this miserable!
I want to be strong enough to beat down my weak self!

Senji: You got the right answer...but you're letting out too much fluid.
Are you prepared? Always being "correct" is the muddy road that lies closest to hell.

"English [CC]" setting:
Ganta: ...Strong enough to not feel this fucking miserable all the time!
I just want to be strong enough...to kill the Ganta I used to be.

Senji: Heh...not that I don't dig your reasons...but I coulda done without the waterworks.
Are you sure about this? 'Cause once the old you's dead and gone...then you gotta own up to whatever takes it's place.

What the hell? There are a lot of examples like this in other shows. I can't remember them at the moment but I've come across instances where the difference is big enough to lead to two pretty different viewing experiences.

So when I have the option to choose either "English" or "English [CC]" is there a rule of thumb as to which one will be closer to the artist's intent? Or it is just a crapshoot?

Fat-Elf

Banned
Reaction score
Watched a couple of episodes of that Gekkan Shoujo anime. Kinda boring, dull characters, didn't make me laugh (well, kinda chuckle.. once). I still keep watching it because I honestly haven't watched a single episode of anime in months and I feel bad about it. :(

ferret

Reaction score
wat: I ran into this EXACT situation last night with Psycho Pass. I was explaining to my wife how annoyed I was when the small bits of Japanese I do understand, or where names are clearly used, don't match the subtitles.

... And what I think is happening is that English [CC], which Netflix/Roku defaulted to, is the CC track for the English audio, while English is the translated subtitles.

It kinda makes sense in a way. Japanese Audio -> English Subtitles. English Audio -> English Closed Caption.

I'm going to go back and check a spot that really bothered me after work to try to confirm.

Ikiharmaa

It's all white.
Reaction score
don't you just love it when you pick a random anime and it turns out to be gorgeus. Or maybe all recent anime are this pretty, I've probably been watching older stuff lately.

nagi-14-23-Hisanuma-Sayu-city.jpg

edit: here's more

6F8BELF.png

Don Vito

Reaction score
Found season 2 of K-ON at the thrift store, so now I can watch the English dub.
Found this figure at the same store. I got excited when I saw her going for $80 + $20 shipping on ebay, and less excited when I saw her on Amazon for $50 no shipping. I still could have profited from her, but the box has some rough wear on the corners, and I noticed upon looking closer, that the emerald on her left breast had broken somehow, so I had to completely unbox her to glue it back on(which thankfully worked like a charm). After I had her out and fixed, I just decided to keep it. Have no clue what series she is from.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
^ Don, I have no idea who she is, but I'm diggin' that over the top 90's design. Not surprised to read the "GAINAX" label on the box! :lol: Looks like Asuka cosplaying an Eva. :lol: And no worries about the price; same thing happened to me with my Shiki figure. I saw her at the con, went back home, checked prices on ebay, saw her going for quite a bit more than it was at the con, went to the con the next day, bought her, came back home that night, checked prices again, saw it going for like $40 less on Amazon and everywhere else. eBay is not a good source for prices on new things. It's alright though, I still feel like I got my money's worth for my statue, and I don't regret the purchase at all.

don't you just love it when you pick a random anime and it turns out to be gorgeus. Or maybe all recent anime are this pretty, I've probably been watching older stuff lately.

nagi-14-23-Hisanuma-Sayu-city.jpg

edit: here's more

6F8BELF.png

Horee shitto! :eek: Look at those backgrounds! Beautiful stuff, for sure. I don't think that's a standard thing for anime, even these days. :lol: I feel as though animation quality is improving at a faster rate than the art itself. Those are some very pretty pictures; which anime are they from??

I have a question about Netflix subtitles and closed-caption. :scratch:

On some anime shows, under "subtitles" I have a choice between "English" and "English [CC]".

"English" is just yellow subtitles.
"English CC is white subtitles with Closed Captioning so it also describes sounds like [loud crash], [eerie chanting], etc.

Thing is, sometimes the actual dialogue is really different between the two. Here's an example from Deadman wonderland.

"English" setting:

"English [CC]" setting:

What the hell? There are a lot of examples like this in other shows. I can't remember them at the moment but I've come across instances where the difference is big enough to lead to two pretty different viewing experiences.

So when I have the option to choose either "English" or "English [CC]" is there a rule of thumb as to which one will be closer to the artist's intent? Or it is just a crapshoot?

Most of Netflix's anime subtitles that I've seen have come across as really shitty (not sure if they use the original subtitles in all cases. Regardless, Funimation subtitles are kinda meh when you're used to reading fansubs). And I've arrived at the same conclusion as ferret on this one; the English [CC] option is probably the subtitles for the actual English dubs. There are anime that don't have that option, simply because they haven't been translated yet (I forget the examples now).

Last edited:

Don Vito

Reaction score
^ Don, I have no idea who she is, but I'm diggin' that over the top 90's design. Not surprised to read the "GAINAX" label on the box! :lol: Looks like Asuka cosplaying an Eva. :lol: And no worries about the price; same thing happened to me with my Shiki figure. I saw her at the con, went back home, checked prices on ebay, saw her going for quite a bit more than it was at the con, went to the con the next day, bought her, came back home that night, checked prices again, saw it going for like $40 less on Amazon and everywhere else. eBay is not a good source for prices on new things. It's alright though, I still feel like I got my money's worth for my statue, and I don't regret the purchase at all.
Turns out she's from a 6 episode space shonen from 2004 called Diebuster, and it even got a movie at some point. Just might have to watch it. I'm not bummed on the figure at all, considering I only paid $14 for it. It's quite nice as well. Has 3 different faces, another set of arms, weird metal bars that stick out of her legs... but more importantly, her little hair swoop is articulated lol.

But for now, I'm finally going to view the hype firsthand: Welcome to the NHK.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
^ I have a feeling you'll like Welcome to the NHK. If the image of you that I have in my head is any accurate, I'm pretty sure you'll like it. Same kind of humor and drama that I imagine you like.

')