Anime/manga megathread

Fat-Elf

Banned
Reaction score
SAO II 13th episode. Now this is how you turn the most boring anime of the year back to the glory it once had. :lol:

Best of part of the episode was the rock version of this:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
Turns out she's from a 6 episode space shonen from 2004 called Diebuster, and it even got a movie at some point. Just might have to watch it. I'm not bummed on the figure at all, considering I only paid $14 for it. It's quite nice as well. Has 3 different faces, another set of arms, weird metal bars that stick out of her legs... but more importantly, her little hair swoop is articulated lol.

But for now, I'm finally going to view the hype firsthand: Welcome to the NHK.

Diebuster is a continuation/prequel/sequel(the time-line is kinda pretzel-ed, gonna have to watch it to understand) to Gunbuster, one of the classic giant robot anime. ;)

The fall season has my attention...
Karen Senki:

Cross Ange:

2nd season of Log Horizon too. :)

Ikiharmaa

It's all white.
Reaction score
Those are some very pretty pictures; which anime are they from??

Nagi no Asukara. I do recommend it, they even pulled off the romance rather well despite it looking bad for most of the show (love triangles and stuff that doesn't go anywhere tend to be annoying). The production is top notch, including the design aspects of it, world, characters, outfits. It isn't for the action-oriented audience obviously, but it isn't a slice-of-life show either.. perhaps something between Seirei no Moribito and Kokoro Connect, both of which were great as well btw.

I think I'm content with anime again for a while. Afterall, I did watch something like 80 episodes during the school week since I also watched Special A in addition to NGE and Nagi no Asukara.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Diebuster is a continuation/prequel/sequel(the time-line is kinda pretzel-ed, gonna have to watch it to understand) to Gunbuster, one of the classic giant robot anime. ;)

The fall season has my attention...
Karen Senki:
*PV1*
*PV2*

Cross Ange:
*PV*

2nd season of Log Horizon too. :)

Cross Ange actually doesn't look so bad judging from the PV, but the premise is hilariously nonsensical: humanity reached a point of absolute peace and harmony, and everybody has learned to use magic, except for a princess, who, as a result, goes to a deserted island TO FIGHT DRAGONS. :rofl: Also +1 on those Code Geass Knightmare-style cockpits that are so perfect for ass shots. :lol: Also, so many dragons this season, too. :eek:

The Fall season is honestly pretty effing ridiculous. I'm gonna post some PV's of shows I'm looking forward to as well as some comments for some of them:

Fate/Stay Night - Unlimited Blade Works

If you've read any two pages of this thread, then you probably know how big of a Fate and ufotable nut I am. Not only is the main Fate franchise brilliant, but ufotable are the friggin' kings of anime, in my opinion. Their art and animation are the most ridiculous that I have ever seen in any piece of animation ever, and I'm certainly not the only one who thinks that way. With how utterly action-packed the Unlimited Blade Works route of the visual novel is, I have a feeling ufotable will go all out with the insane eye candy. It will be friggin' epic. It also doesn't need to be said, but this is THE anime that I've been anticipating the most for the past year, and it's starting in 5 days. :scream:

Garo: Honoo no Kokuin

From studio MAPPA, the same people who gave us Zankyou no Terror. They started out VERY VERY well with ZnT, but this season MAPPA is going all out, with two anime, Garo being one of them. They are also the only studio that I know of that can pull off CGI that actually looks great. Garo is supposed to be a really popular film franchise (though I'm not familiar with it). It looks really promising, and I think it's worth keeping an eye on this one.

Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis

This is the other MAPPA anime this season. It is based on a card game, and it looks geeky as hell, but holy ass it looks incredible! :eek: That PV is nuts. The art and the animation look amazing, and the CGI looks great as well. The only thing is, I just can't get over CGI dragons, because of reasons. :rofl: I have a feeling this will be one of my main anime this season, along with Fate, Garo, and what Mushishi.

Mushishi: Zoku Shou 2

I don't even need to say why my body is ready for more of that. This will be the second part of the second season, the first part of which aired during the spring season. Seriously, go watch Mushishi if you haven't. (Also, I just pulled a fan-made trailer off of YT, because I don't think there's an actual PV for Zoku Shou 2)

Gundam: G no Reconguista

It is the first time I'm actually looking forward to a Gundam show. :lol: I've also never watched one in its entirety. The only reason I wanna watch this one is because I LOVE the art style. It's what I picture Eureka 7 would look like if it had been made in the early 90's, but with better animation. That, and the name is catchy as phuck. G NO RECONGUISTA. :lol:

Terra Formars

Apparently humanity dun f*cked up again and we created giant mutant people-looking cockroaches... on Mars. Yeah. First episode is out, and, according to what I hear, it's Attack on Titan with naked roach-people, as opposed to just big naked people. It sounds so ridiculous that I'm on my way to watch the first episode already. :lol:
EDIT: dat first episode... that was... ummm... yeah. :ugh: The premise is cool and all, but that first episode made me give little ....s about it. Pretty bad first episode, imo. People who like the manga are saying it was bad. Also, I will never berate Tokyo Ghoul's censoring as much anymore after seeing how stupidly censored this show is (click here for sample censoring). I came for the guts, now gimme dem, pls. >_>

Kiseijuu a.k.a. Parasyte

Well, that just happened. :lol: I've never read the manga, but I'm very aware of it. Mega popular stuff in Japan. They've changed the artstyle quite a bit, but it still looks really cool, and the animation is "pretty." It looks unsettling as shit, too, which should be really cool. Will be keeping an eye on it.

Shirobako

An anime about making anime. That's gotta be good. And it looks like they might go into the more technical aspect of making anime, too, which should be really cool. Will definitely be following this one!

Sanzoku no Musume Ronja

It should be interesting, given that the director is Goro Miyazaki; Hideo Miyazaki's (Studio Ghibli) son. Contrary to what most people are saying, though, this is NOT animated by Studio Ghibli, so don't panic at the (iffy) CGI. It's animated by Polygon Pictures, who are responsible for Knights of Sidonia. From what I have read, it is based on a Swedish children's book called Ronia the Robber's Daughter, written by the same author as Pippi Longstocking. In that sense, it does sound like something Studio Ghibli would do. I'll be following it, since it might actually turn out to be really interesting, despite appearances.

And that's about it for the ones I'm currently looking forward to this season. It's kind of crazy, honestly, how much of it looks incredible. :eek:

Nagi no Asukara. I do recommend it, they even pulled off the romance rather well despite it looking bad for most of the show (love triangles and stuff that doesn't go anywhere tend to be annoying). The production is top notch, including the design aspects of it, world, characters, outfits. It isn't for the action-oriented audience obviously, but it isn't a slice-of-life show either.. perhaps something between Seirei no Moribito and Kokoro Connect, both of which were great as well btw.

I think I'm content with anime again for a while. Afterall, I did watch something like 80 episodes during the school week since I also watched Special A in addition to NGE and Nagi no Asukara.

Aaaahh Nagi no Asakura! My roommate keeps going on about it, and she's been pushing me to watch it at some point, :lol: so I'm glad to know it looks this good.

Never watched Kokoro Connect, but Seirei no Moribito is what got me back into anime after spending my teenage years (from about 12 to 19) not giving a f*ck about it and even labeling it as childish and stupid on occasion. Amazing anime, that one.

Last edited:

Captain Butterscotch

Reaction score
I just started watching DeadMan Wonderland on netflix & it's pretty sweet. It's about a prison where they film gameshows & reality TV with the prisoners for funding. A demon(or something) kills everyone in the MC's school classroom causing him to be convicted for the murder and sent to the prison where as he struggles to adapt to life there, he finds himself wrapped up in a sprawling conspiracy. The show gets shockingly twisted and morbid at times :eek:

I just started watching this as well and it took me by surprise at how violent it gets at certain times.

Don Vito

Reaction score
Oh man, NHK is ....ing hilarious. I thought it was going to be a total sobfest, but maybe I just haven't gotten there yet. It gives me flashbacks to Watamote, because I feel like I've been there done that. Only this guy is much more likable than Tomoko, who I have come to hate in the past couple chapters of the manga. Really impressed so far, even though I had to revert to the English dub. Dual audio with Russian subs only lol. Luckily, the MC is voiced pretty well.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
^ That relatability of NHK was, to me, its main selling point. I've never been nearly the hermit that the protagonist is (that'd be extremely alarming >_>), but either I've been in a similar enough position to understand him, or the show really knows how to work some black magic to convey the feeling perfectly. It gets progressively sadder as it goes on, but funny bits are always present everywhere to provide some comic relief and somewhat alleviate the mood.

Gah, I think I might start it again. I'm gonna watch the first episode tonight. Let's see if I pick up enough momentum to actually finish it.

Don Vito

Reaction score
^ That relatability of NHK was, to me, its main selling point. I've never been nearly the hermit that the protagonist is (that'd be extremely alarming >_>), but either I've been in a similar enough position to understand him, or the show really knows how to work some black magic to convey the feeling perfectly. It gets progressively sadder as it goes on, but funny bits are always present everywhere to provide some comic relief and somewhat alleviate the mood.

Gah, I think I might start it again. I'm gonna watch the first episode tonight. Let's see if I pick up enough momentum to actually finish it.
I got to thinking about something; how does this guy make a living? Look, I'm not far into it, but at this point, he has no job. His apartment costs money, because his neighbor mentions he needed someplace "cheap", which implies that there is rent, even if it's not much. And then there's the food, internet, electricity, ect.. Does Japan willingly give money to the unemployed? It's understandable if you were fired or had to leave, but this guy has been NEET for like what... 3 years? There's money in the US for people who fail to meet certain mental priorities, so maybe he gets money for being socially dysfunctional, or whatever medical condition that would fall under. He doesn't actually seem to have any issue talking to people though, even if he says some derpy shit every now and again.

OT: I'm glad it keeps some of the comic relief throughout. :yesway:

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
^ I don't remember if they explain that, actually. I seem to remember an episode where he gets a visit from his mother and he tries to clean up his place so that she doesn't find out he's NEET, as she is the one paying for his place, but I may actually be imagining things. I'm like 50% sure that that happens. I know it happens in some NEET anime that I watched, but I am not exactly sure which one.

If it's not in NHK, I'd be willing to live with that flaw, much like I'm willing to accept that most high school anime characters are run-away children who seemingly have no parents and do whatever the shit they want anywhere they want and at any time they want *cough*HARUHICHARACTERS*cough* :lol:

Don Vito

Reaction score
^ I don't remember if they explain that, actually. I seem to remember an episode where he gets a visit from his mother and he tries to clean up his place so that she doesn't find out he's NEET, as she is the one paying for his place, but I may actually be imagining things. I'm like 50% sure that that happens. I know it happens in some NEET anime that I watched, but I am not exactly sure which one.
Ah, that would also make sense.

*cough*HARUHICHARACTERS*cough*
Haruhi's parents are probably relieved they don't have to put up with her much as a result. I imagine raising her was a pain in the arse.

Last edited:

Skyblue

Reaction score
I just watched the very last episode of Zankyou no Terror...

tumblr_inline_n5sywkuqBK1r8x9ve.gif

... I don't even know, man. I don't even know...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Just finished it myself, it was awesome! And, and... Ahhhhhh!

small things that kinda bothered me-
In the end, the american army killed Twelve, then waited. Why? Did they know Nine would just die by himself? I mean sure, dramatic speech time, but I found that to be kinda annoyingly-weird... Second, where the hell was Lisa's mom? :lol: girl run's away from home, her mom calls her a few times and then forgets about her? can be explained but meh... I AM kinda nitpicking here so w/e. Also Yay for Twelve's Synesthesia! I've got it too :D

The relatability of that show nearly killed me :lol: I obviously wasn't a hikikomori like he was but damn, they did show some moments that had me going "FLUFF THAT SHIT I'LL GO CRY IN THE CORNER, HAPPY NOW?"
Loved that show...

wat

Reaction score

Yeah, I'm loving the show. 4 episodes left. I can totally relate to the main character as his circumstances and feelings are like exxagerated versions of theings I've been through. I'm so scared that this show is going to make me extremely sad, lol.

I got to thinking about something; how does this guy make a living? Look, I'm not far into it, but at this point, he has no job. His apartment costs money, because his neighbor mentions he needed someplace "cheap", which implies that there is rent, even if it's not much. And then there's the food, internet, electricity, ect.. Does Japan willingly give money to the unemployed? It's understandable if you were fired or had to leave, but this guy has been NEET for like what... 3 years? There's money in the US for people who fail to meet certain mental priorities, so maybe he gets money for being socially dysfunctional, or whatever medical condition that would fall under. He doesn't actually seem to have any issue talking to people though, even if he says some derpy shit every now and again.

OT: I'm glad it keeps some of the comic relief throughout. :yesway:

His parents give him allowance. They also think he's in school and have no idea he dropped out, or that he's hikikamori and NEET. His attempts to keep lies like this going pretty much propel the 1st half of the show.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
^ Finally! A post that not only deserves two likes, but is actually able to get them! :lol: Misaki is love. She was designed by Yoshitoshi ABe, the same dude who did SELain and Haibane Renmei. :D Here's the cover of the original book:

NHKlightnovel.JPG

Also, Sky, I'll get back to you on Zankyou no Terror once I get back home tonight. ;)

stevo1

ClearTrack Studios
Reaction score
Decided to check out the first episodes of Tokyo ghoul finally after seeing it pop up in hulu. I also checked out the end of the show too, as a I skipped sleep, and watched it all last night.

ferret

Reaction score
Psycho Pass done.

Kill la Kill started.

vroom.

ferret

Reaction score
Liked Psycho-Pass, but it's a little bit discolored by figuring out the Netflix subtitle thing mid-way through. I felt the ending was just a little abrupt and left some details unresolved.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Just finished it myself, it was awesome! And, and... Ahhhhhh!

small things that kinda bothered me-
In the end, the american army killed Twelve, then waited. Why? Did they know Nine would just die by himself? I mean sure, dramatic speech time, but I found that to be kinda annoyingly-weird... Second, where the hell was Lisa's mom? :lol: girl run's away from home, her mom calls her a few times and then forgets about her? can be explained but meh... I AM kinda nitpicking here so w/e. Also Yay for Twelve's Synesthesia! I've got it too :D

So, Zankyou no Terror...
haha yeah, things like that have apparently been the downside of the show, and a lot of people have overblown those tiny issues and completely missed the point of the show. What you said about Twelve is funny: I thought he had been shot, but that they went with the stylistic/artistic approach of not letting us hear the gunshot but to instead letting the music shine through to intensify the scene (kinda like in the Cowboy Bebop episode "Ballad of the Fallen Angels" when Spike falls through the church's window and we don't hear the grenade explosion but rather the song "Green Bird." One of the most iconic scenes in anime, directed by the same guy from ZnT and the music composed by the same person. I have my reasons to draw that conclusion :lol:). Someone pointed out to me that he just kinda died of his illness there, much like you said, which is perfectly plausible as well, but that's not how it initially came across to me, and I prefer to think that he was shot. Regardless, it doesn't make the situation any different.

The one thing that bothered me the most was Five. She had so much potential as a character, but she just turned out to be a mere foil for our protagonist. If you think about it, the only thing she was useful for was for getting our antagonist (US government) in contact with our protagonists. Anything else she might have done, was quite useless in terms of story, aside from being a mere plot device to highlight Sphinx's nature. Take her out of the picture, and her actions would be irrelevant to the ending of the story. In other words, more than a character, she was a plot device. It's not like that is a bad thing in and of itself, but I thought she could have been so much more, while still serving as a foil.

Lisa also gets a lot of shit, but I actually really liked her character. She is the most relatable of all, given that she's the only main character who is just a regular person with her own set of issues. Issues which, if perhaps more severe than that of the average person, are a lot more relatable than, say, idyllic memory, or incredible crime and puzzle-solving analytical skills. I see her as the viewer's anchor with reality, in some sense. I do wish she had been fleshed out a little bit more, but I attribute that to the low episode count. She's also super kawaii and moe, and I just love that; bite me. :lol:

There were more things that bothered me a bit (note that all of these "flaws" could have been made better had there been more episodes to flesh things out), but none of them bothered me enough to stop me from enjoying how great it was.

Direction, art, and animation are some of the best I have ever seen, and dat score... DAT OST MAN. It is so stupidly good; Yoko Kanno solidifying my belief that she is the best thing to have happened to music in anime.

I can't really be bothered to write a review of this anime even though I really like it - I've written enough about it that I don't feel a need to review it - but if I were to rate it on a numerical scale...

8/10. It was f*cking amazing, and easily my favorite anime of the year so far.

')