Anime/manga megathread

Skyblue

Reaction score
So, Zankyou no Terror...
haha yeah, things like that have apparently been the downside of the show, and a lot of people have overblown those tiny issues and completely missed the point of the show. What you said about Twelve is funny: I thought he had been shot, but that they went with the stylistic/artistic approach of not letting us hear the gunshot but to instead letting the music shine through to intensify the scene (kinda like in the Cowboy Bebop episode "Ballad of the Fallen Angels" when Spike falls through the church's window and we don't hear the grenade explosion but rather the song "Green Bird." One of the most iconic scenes in anime, directed by the same guy from ZnT and the music composed by the same person. I have my reasons to draw that conclusion :lol:). Someone pointed out to me that he just kinda died of his illness there, much like you said, which is perfectly plausible as well, but that's not how it initially came across to me, and I prefer to think that he was shot. Regardless, it doesn't make the situation any different.

The one thing that bothered me the most was Five. She had so much potential as a character, but she just turned out to be a mere foil for our protagonist. If you think about it, the only thing she was useful for was for getting our antagonist (US government) in contact with our protagonists. Anything else she might have done, was quite useless in terms of story, aside from being a mere plot device to highlight Sphinx's nature. Take her out of the picture, and her actions would be irrelevant to the ending of the story. In other words, more than a character, she was a plot device. It's not like that is a bad thing in and of itself, but I thought she could have been so much more, while still serving as a foil.

Lisa also gets a lot of shit, but I actually really liked her character. She is the most relatable of all, given that she's the only main character who is just a regular person with her own set of issues. Issues which, if perhaps more severe than that of the average person, are a lot more relatable than, say, idyllic memory, or incredible crime and puzzle-solving analytical skills. I see her as the viewer's anchor with reality, in some sense. I do wish she had been fleshed out a little bit more, but I attribute that to the low episode count. She's also super kawaii and moe, and I just love that; bite me. :lol:

There were more things that bothered me a bit (note that all of these "flaws" could have been made better had there been more episodes to flesh things out), but none of them bothered me enough to stop me from enjoying how great it was.

Direction, art, and animation are some of the best I have ever seen, and dat score... DAT OST MAN. It is so stupidly good; Yoko Kanno solidifying my belief that she is the best thing to have happened to music in anime.

I can't really be bothered to write a review of this anime even though I really like it - I've written enough about it that I don't feel a need to review it - but if I were to rate it on a numerical scale...

8/10. It was f*cking amazing, and easily my favorite anime of the year so far.

So...

I'm guessing you mean Nine? As Twelve is clearly shown being shot... Anyway, I actually haven't considered the fact Nine might have been shot, interesting. Still would have made it a bit weird for the US Army to wait though. I Also totally agree with you about Five- In the end, her sole reason for trying to capture Nine was what, to show him she can catch him? a rather weak plot point... And what did the whole scene in The Settlement when they ran away meant? You see Five going after them, but was she trying to stop them? Join them? One time you see her laughing maniacally, but it might have been a twisted memory... They didn't really explain that, and that made Five unclear as a character I think. As for Lisa, her character was great. They really pictured the fact that she's a lost teenager, that stumbles into 2 terrorists, who finally give her a sense of belonging, something she never had, and she decides to help them, yet she's still a normal teenager- no super powers or anything...

And just to be clear- Flaws or w/e, I absolutely loved that show :wub: Easily one the best I've seen. The OST was absolutely amazing, Yoko Kanno is divine.
Definitely 8/10.

Now, any recommendations for a new anime? :lol: Anything that resembles in style, general vibe, or simply anything awesome. (Yes, I've seen Cowboy Bebop)
I've been out of the anime loop for a while so I have no idea what's up...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TaP

Genin
Reaction score
I loved: Death Note, Code Geass, Gundam Wing, AoT, Samurai Champloo, Shippuden before I realized I have to be stupid to keep watching/reading.

Suggestions pl0x. I looked up "Zankyou No Terror" it looks like exactly what I like off reading "psychological thriller" Japanese writer KILL it with the smart ass mind games.

glassmoon0fo

Some Say...
Reaction score
NOT happy with the way Deadman Wonderland cut short like that. The show is killer, but there are just too many unresolved story lines to deal with and it looks like they wont be finishing the TV show. Just a heads up, don't get too attached =/

Skyblue

Reaction score
I loved: Death Note, Code Geass, Gundam Wing, AoT, Samurai Champloo, Shippuden before I realized I have to be stupid to keep watching/reading.

Suggestions pl0x. I looked up "Zankyou No Terror" it looks like exactly what I like off reading "psychological thriller" Japanese writer KILL it with the smart ass mind games.

While Zankyou No Terror IS awesome, it's not the same kind of psychological thriller such as CG and DN. It is, still, highly recommended. You also might like Kaiji- It's an anime about a guy that has a big debt to pay to some mobsters if I'm not mistaken, and they invite him to a gambling night in which he could pay off his entire debt. I watched it about 5 years ago, but I remember it was insanely suspenseful.

Ikiharmaa

It's all white.
Reaction score
Just recently started watching Sankarea. Still feeling it out.

I remember watching that. Or well, can't remember much from it, but back then I hadn't really seen too much anime to begin with. I guess it wasn't absolutely horrible since I didn't drop it? Not a very memorable one for me it seems. Then again our tastes might not meet anyways, so yea.

Sometimes I'm not completely sure why I even post in the first place.

I'll probably watch Nodame Cantabile next, if the art is decent enough that is. Judging from the little picture on mal I might have some trouble adjusting.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
So...

I'm guessing you mean Nine? As Twelve is clearly shown being shot... Anyway, I actually haven't considered the fact Nine might have been shot, interesting. Still would have made it a bit weird for the US Army to wait though. I Also totally agree with you about Five- In the end, her sole reason for trying to capture Nine was what, to show him she can catch him? a rather weak plot point... And what did the whole scene in The Settlement when they ran away meant? You see Five going after them, but was she trying to stop them? Join them? One time you see her laughing maniacally, but it might have been a twisted memory... They didn't really explain that, and that made Five unclear as a character I think. As for Lisa, her character was great. They really pictured the fact that she's a lost teenager, that stumbles into 2 terrorists, who finally give her a sense of belonging, something she never had, and she decides to help them, yet she's still a normal teenager- no super powers or anything...

And just to be clear- Flaws or w/e, I absolutely loved that show :wub: Easily one the best I've seen. The OST was absolutely amazing, Yoko Kanno is divine.
Definitely 8/10.

Yeah, sorry, I meant Nine, not Twelve. I keep getting their names mixed up. :lol: Which brings me to
their "names." I don't know why people keep saying they have names. As far as I know, the names that we are shown are only the names that they used to register at school. I doubt those are their actual names. They're orphans who were taken in by some shady organization before the age of 5 (much like another super smart character in another mega popular anime, if you know who I'm talking about :lol:) and were given numbers as names. So their real names are just Nine and Twelve. That's I get from it anyway.

Also, I did think of what you're saying about the sniper taking too long to shoot Nine. Maybe they wanted to see what Shibazaki was going to do to see if they'd let him live or not, but "epic threatening speech time" sounds like a way simpler and more fitting explanation. :lol:

Now, any recommendations for a new anime? :lol: Anything that resembles in style, general vibe, or simply anything awesome. (Yes, I've seen Cowboy Bebop)
I've been out of the anime loop for a while so I have no idea what's up...

Suggestions, hhmmm... I mean, I can't deny that Fate/Zero has been my "favorite" anime for the last 11 months, or so. It seems to be the most complete anime that I have seen so far, in the sense that it has just a little bit of everything; from straight up magic, to psychological drilling and conspiracy stuff. The only thing lacking is comic relief; it has literally zero comic relief. It's just dark, gritty, depressing, and honestly quite shameless, but it is SO INTENSE. I'll leave this fan trailer here (for like the 37th time :lol: it's my favorite trailer ever) to let you judge:

Aside from that, if you have the time and the patience, another gritty and dark-as-phuck anime is Kara no Kyoukai. It's an experience in and of itself. It's different from any other anime I've watched. It's hard to get into, if only because of how confusing and long it is the first time you watch it (it's a story told out of chronological order across 10 movies), and how big of a mindf*ck it can be, but it is so, so, so worth it. It feels like animated literature. It's about murders and detectives to some extent, too, but it's a lot more "metaphysical" than DN and CG, and has a lot of magic stuff going on. Same universe as the Fate franchise, too.

Watch Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. nao. If you haven't, you owe it to yourself.

Black Lagoon. It's, simply put, the most badass anime I've ever seen. Everything just kicks ass in that show.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (plus The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya film) to completely contrast my previous suggestions in terms of tone. Also, Melancholy is worth watching (in chronological order as opposed to the order in which it aired, for God's sake) in its entirety just to be able to experience the masterpiece that the Disappearance film is.

Planetes is REALLY cool as well. It's some very hard sci-fi and a great plot line. Extremely underrated anime, too.

No Game No Life, for some Death Note/Code Geass-ish action and some seriously otaku-nerd fun.

Usagi Drop, since it is, to this day, my favorite slice of life.

Clannad + Clannad: After Story (particularly the latter, although you NEED the first season to watch After Story) if you like getting stabbed in the heart repeatedly. I feel evil just recommending this anime. :lol: It's one of my favorites though.

Trigun, for some more old-school, Western-styled action. I don't remember that much from it, except that I really dug it.

Rurouni Kenshin. It's hard to recommend it, because it's very expansive, with a long manga (the length of which I forget), a 95-episode anime (the first 60-or-so episodes of which are the only ones truly worth watching), two 2-hour OVA's depicting Kenshin's past (the first part of the manga's third arc, i.e. his violent past as an assassin for the Meiji government during Japan's Bakumatsu period) and his life after the events of the manga, and three live-action films retelling the first two arcs (not to mention that the manga is being re-written and the Kyoto arc of the anime has been re-animated). It is, however, super worth it. If you're into historical anime, Japanese history, and exaggerated samurai fights, this is right up your alley. It is my favorite story ever told, just because of how gripping it is. Also, the manga is a lot more engaging than the anime. The anime is aimed at a younger audience, whereas the manga, despite having a ton of comic relief and being a straight up shonen manga, feels a lot more serious in tone (not to mention that the last arc, which has never been adapted to a screen in any form, is super dark and depressing most of the time).

Hopefully, among those, you'll find something to your liking. I'd recommend more, but I need to work, and the amount of shame I feel is directly proportional to the length of my posts, so yeah. :lol:

And here goes to getting carried away with anime recommendations instead of working. :drew:

Last edited:

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
^ Only in the manga. And we don't speak about the manga. :squint:

Don Vito

Reaction score
Pedobear.png

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
that's why i regret the fact that i read the manga after watched Usagi Drop anime because of my curiousity :squint:

awesome drama though, cute rin is cute

Yeah, I read about the manga afterwards, since I had decided I wasn't going to read it anyway, and I decided to pretend it doesn't even exist. :lol: As far as cute anime characters go, Rin is probably my favorite. Rin is also one of my favorite names.

Also, I just finished Barakamon... SO WARM AND FUZZY I want more. :'( I don't know how to review a slice of life/comedy anime, since I usually focus on plot and what not, but it was damn near perfect for me. It has a kind of humor that I haven't really seen much in anime before, it came across as very original, its themes hit home on a very deep and personal level, it forges and develops characters perfectly as well as their interactions, and it had all the warms and the fuzzies you could ever ask for. Not a tear-jerker, but it definitely hit home hard enough to make my face swell up and make me eyes feel like wrinkly raisins afterwards. I can't compare it directly with Usagi Drop, since I haven't watched it in so long, but I hold it, for now, as my favorite slice-of-life along with UD.
That last episode when Sensei came back through the door and Naru jumped on him with the biggest smile on her face made me all fuzzy and my eyes watery.

Straight 9/10 for me.
I'd give it 10/10, but somehow I don't feel right giving a perfect rating to something right after having finished it, especially when I wouldn't give a perfect score to anything I've watched so far (even though I might have in the past... that doesn't count; I act on impulse some times). :lol:

I need to watch some manly shit now. My testosterone is running low.

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, Karen Senki EP1 was a bit of a let down. Under 12 minutes? The show feels like cut scenes from a JRPG strung together, no real plot, just one disjointed piece after another.. I expected more from ex-Sakura Taisen staff, though I can't fault Fujishima, his character designs are always nice. :( EP2 will have to a complete turn around to get me to continue.

Fat-Elf

Banned
Reaction score
Just finished the Watamote anime for the second time and this time Tomoko just made me feel like punching her in her face and tell her to man the fvck up instead of whining around and blaming everyone else on her shitty life unlike the first time when I actually felt bad for her to some extent. :mad:

Man, I need something less aggravating to watch now. Barakamon seems interesting. I think I saw couple of minutes of it in army when one of my friends was watching it from his laptop.

Skyblue

Reaction score
So I'm starting Fate/Zero :D I'm just at the beginning, and it's a bit confusing, but it'll probably be easier once I get into it. Looks awesome so far anyway~

Don Vito

Reaction score
Just finished the Watamote anime for the second time and this time Tomoko just made me feel like punching her in her face and tell her to man the fvck up instead of whining around and blaming everyone else on her shitty life unlike the first time when I actually felt bad for her to some extent. :mad:

Man, I need something less aggravating to watch now. Barakamon seems interesting. I think I saw couple of minutes of it in army when one of my friends was watching it from his laptop.
I still feel bad for her in the anime and early chapters of the manga because A. She's only 15 and 15 year olds are stupid that is a FACT B. She has no friends, and only talks to cake-chan every now and again.

But in the current manga, I'm pretty sure she's almost 17, maybe 16 1/2. She also has 2 friends she regularly hangs with, which is fine, but she treats them like shit sometimes. And cake-chan puts up with this. >_<

bouVIP

Reaction score
Man I need to start watching Fate/Zero again, but I'm pumped for F/SN soon.

Also just watched the new Gundam and it's way too early to decide how good it is, but so far I like it. Really love the art and music so far.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
^ Fate/Stay Night on Saturday at 11am!!!!! :scream::scream::scream:

Also gotta get onto watching that new Gundam. It looks so cool.

Well, Karen Senki EP1 was a bit of a let down. Under 12 minutes? The show feels like cut scenes from a JRPG strung together, no real plot, just one disjointed piece after another.. I expected more from ex-Sakura Taisen staff, though I can't fault Fujishima, his character designs are always nice. :( EP2 will have to a complete turn around to get me to continue.

Karen Senki... I guess it looked sort of cool from the trailer, but the exclusively CGI animation makes all of my red flags go up. It's good you're telling us that though, because I can change my expectations whenever I go into it, if I ever do.

So I'm starting Fate/Zero :D I'm just at the beginning, and it's a bit confusing, but it'll probably be easier once I get into it. Looks awesome so far anyway~

Fate/Zero's first episode is quite something. It's quite an info dump with some really cool scenes, but it provides all the necessary information to follow what's coming. It tries to explain the Nasuverse in a nutshell (the chunk pertaining to the Fate series anyway), and that's a huge challenge. If I were to give any advice while you're still on the very early episodes, it would be to remember names and associate them with each character, and try to remember their motivations as the story develops. The earlier you have a clear image of who's who, the better, because there are a lot of characters and they are all developed extensively, so it can be a little hard to remember everything.

Latest posts

')