Anime/manga megathread

bouVIP

Reaction score
oh also forgot to mention

@Alberto7

I'm planning to transcribe the band score of unravel (Tokyo Ghoul opening) so I'll share when I finish :D

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
NO WAY! If it's anything like your No Game No Life one, then horee shitto! :eek: I've sat down to learn it quite a few times (EDIT: both your NGNL transcription and Tokyo Ghoul's OP), but I always get carried away playing something else. EDIT: Catching up no Psycho-Pass's new release of its first season I realized that its OP is performed by TK as well; same people who did Tokyo Ghoul's OP.

Oh, and I just finished G no Reconguista's first episode. Boy, was I out of my comfort zone! :lol: Obviously, I can't say anything about the plot, but the setting is interesting. The writing of the episode itself was pretty mediocre by my standards, but, then again, this is Gundam, and I have no idea how I should judge it. I came and stayed just for the art though. I LOVE how much style it has. That mix of CGI and old school animation should not work, but it does. And the art and character design are crazy beautiful! The OP was great.

Last edited:

wat

Reaction score
Just finished Welcome To The N.H.K. :bowdown:

Soooo good. I honestly didn't even know anything like this existed

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score
just got into those episodes in Steins;Gate. Alberto, thank you SO much for insisting me to see it (now we have to convince Vito :D), it really changes the pace around the 7th-9th ep (yes, it has taking me this long, exams inbound :( )

major spoiler
got into the EP where Mayuri dies in the metro, my head is about to explode

mrdm53

Reaction score
NO WAY! If it's anything like your No Game No Life one, then horee shitto! :eek: I've sat down to learn it quite a few times (EDIT: both your NGNL transcription and Tokyo Ghoul's OP), but I always get carried away playing something else. EDIT: Catching up no Psycho-Pass's new release of its first season I realized that its OP is performed by TK as well; same people who did Tokyo Ghoul's OP.

Oh, and I just finished G no Reconguista's first episode. Boy, was I out of my comfort zone! :lol: Obviously, I can't say anything about the plot, but the setting is interesting. The writing of the episode itself was pretty mediocre by my standards, but, then again, this is Gundam, and I have no idea how I should judge it. I came and stayed just for the art though. I LOVE how much style it has. That mix of CGI and old school animation should not work, but it does. And the art and character design are crazy beautiful! The OP was great.

what do you expected from the director who previously created Original Gundam?

well i laughed at that slap scene, reminds me of Bright Noa's bitchslap to Amuro :D

Skyblue

Reaction score
Fate/Zero's first episode is quite something. It's quite an info dump with some really cool scenes, but it provides all the necessary information to follow what's coming. It tries to explain the Nasuverse in a nutshell (the chunk pertaining to the Fate series anyway), and that's a huge challenge. If I were to give any advice while you're still on the very early episodes, it would be to remember names and associate them with each character, and try to remember their motivations as the story develops. The earlier you have a clear image of who's who, the better, because there are a lot of characters and they are all developed extensively, so it can be a little hard to remember everything.
Yeah, I was just a bit confusing with the names and who's who, but I'm at ep4 already and I think I'm ok. First fighting scenes, looking awesome :D
The more I watch the more I get reminded or MMORPG's :lol: But that's a good thing in my book~

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score

well i laughed at that slap scene, reminds me of Bright Noa's bitchslap to Amuro :D

I don't know, I've never watched any Gundam before! :lol: Also, the parts where the commander hit the girls sat really terribly with me. I hated those two parts.

Yeah, I was just a bit confusing with the names and who's who, but I'm at ep4 already and I think I'm ok. First fighting scenes, looking awesome :D
The more I watch the more I get reminded or MMORPG's :lol: But that's a good thing in my book~

Haha I had never thought about the MMORPG thing, but it does kinda feel like one, now that I think about it. :lol:

----------

Continuing on with the Fate/Stay Night news... 14 hours till release!! :scream: I feel like one of those rabid iPhone fans that viciously wait with frothing mouths for midnight on the day of release to buy the new phone.

Also, it seems as though the first two episodes (dubbed #00 and #01) will be one hour long each! :scream::scream:

And here are some comments I read on YouTube from people who allegedly attended the private screening of the first episode in LA:

YouTube user said:
Well, first off seeing ufotable quality animation on the big screen with surround sound is marvelous. Now down to the episode. I've never played the visual novels so I can't say how well it adapted the original material. I do know the general story of all three routes of Fate/Stay Night and have seen Fate/Zero, though. But it turns out I don't think I'll be needing that info. Like Fate/Zero's first episode, this first episode was slow, but(in my opinion) in a good way. The first half was very slice-of-life, visual novelish showing Rin going to school. To some it might be stupid or unnecessary, but to me it is well needed, because it showed a lot about her character and the life she lives. The 2nd half of the episode though, was full of the magic stuff, and some very, very well crafted actions scenes. It started off slow, but gradually eased into the more fast paced content. Overall, I think it was a very nice way to start off a series.

the same YouTube user said:
...At the preview, we actually got a short commentary from the producer, director, and animation director regarding the series. They said that usually for a series they will cut, edit, or alter scenes and plot points to make the series(in their eyes) more enjoyable and allow it to fit the time restraints. However, they do NOT want to do this with the new Fate/Stay Night because they want to fully flush out the series/characters and because there is already a very loyal fanbase attached to the original material. And they are treating this more as a sequel to Fate/Zero rather than Deen's adaptions. In the commentary, they said that they are approaching the series is a little differently because the characters aren't middle-aged adults like in Fate/Zero. Which is why I think it was important for them to have kept that first half of the episode with Rin going to school. It clearly showed that these characters in Fate/Stay Night are not serious, cold-blooded adults, but are rather high schoolers still growing up.
Oh, and I'm pretty sure I saw 1 or 2 throwbacks to Fate/Zero in the 1st episode, and I have a feeling that they weren't in the original VN.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score

Just for reference guys, do know that Yoshiyuki Tomino's nickname is "Kill em all Tomino."

You'll be happy for just a standard Gundam 'disciplinary' scene towards the end. Of course, on occasion, Tomino doesn't kill all the main characters in every series he does...just most of them.

mrdm53

Reaction score
Just for reference guys, do know that Yoshiyuki Tomino's nickname is "Kill em all Tomino."

You'll be happy for just a standard Gundam 'disciplinary' scene towards the end. Of course, on occasion, Tomino doesn't kill all the main characters in every series he does...just most of them.

i do remember V's mass kill though :bowdown:

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
i do remember V's mass kill though :bowdown:

Damn, I really need to finish V. Think I got about halfway through and just lost interest. Still need to dig out ZZ at some point too.

Too much Gundam man...just too much

bouVIP

Reaction score
I can already claim Fate Stay Night is amazing because of Rin focus!!!

Also started watching denkigai no honya-san. It's a comedy anime so far and so far it seems like one of those animes you just turn your brain off, sit back, relax and enjoy which is my favorite kind of comedy anime.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
I can already claim Fate Stay Night is amazing because of Rin focus!!!

Also started watching denkigai no honya-san. It's a comedy anime so far and so far it seems like one of those animes you just turn your brain off, sit back, relax and enjoy which is my favorite kind of comedy anime.

Yep, the Unlimited Blade Works route is focused on Rin, Shirou, and Archer. Also, apparently the first episode (#00) tells the prologue from Rin's point of view, and the second episode tells it from Shirou's point of view. That's what I understood from what I read anyway.

I just finished Terra Formars episode 2. I know two episodes is usually very little, but I don't know if this can even be made right even with 20-something more episodes to come. I don't think I've ever seen such a terrible manga-anime adaptation ever, and I haven't even read the manga. I feel like the anime is trying too hard and is epically failing at it. I don't even know who's who, and characters that I did recognize from episode 1 are like completely different people now personality-wise, or show up for like two seconds. The writing was abysmal, and the "slice-of-life we're just killing time awaiting the horror" mini-plot was handled absolutely terribly. I would stay for the gore and the blood, but it doesn't even have that; it's censored to hell and back. Let me know once the uncensored DVD is out and I might watch this just for the guts. I'm normally not this blunt when giving an opinion, but that shit fucking sucked so many bags of dicks, you don't even know. The first episode made me kind of skeptical, but I was willing to give it another shot. Now, I couldn't have more negative things to say about that second episode. Third time's a charm, or so they say; I'm willing to test that, because I believe this thing really has a lot of potential, but I really, really doubt they'll pull it off.

Don Vito

Reaction score
Man, I don't know anything about the Fate series, but you guys are making me want to watch it. I've mentioned it waaaaaayyyy back in the thread, but I did try to watch Fate/Zero once about 3 years ago now, and I got really hooked on it, but ended up dropping it because I was so confused. I knew they were fighting for monty python's holy grail, and I knew the historical backgrounds of the erm.. "summoned" characters?.. but I still felt like I was missing something. There were many character relationships and interactions that seemed totally alien to me. The fight scenes were the only thing interesting me. Then I found out that this was the second anime adaption following Fate/Stay Night, a visual novel I had no clue existed. What do I need to understand the characters better? I guess I should just watch the first anime series, because I do not have the patience for visual novels, unfortunately.

mrdm53

Reaction score
Damn, I really need to finish V. Think I got about halfway through and just lost interest. Still need to dig out ZZ at some point too.

Too much Gundam man...just too much

a little bit spoiler thought

first half of ZZ story is just utter crap, falling downright from ultra serious Zeta into kid's prank using hi-spec robot

then we have Ple two, and things started to be good. especially after colony drop arc

Fat-Elf

Banned
Reaction score
....ing yay.. I'm spending the weekend at our summer cottage (which is at backwoods as backwoods go). So because I have no other form of entertainment, I bought the Crunchyroll sub for my phone so I could watch anime but firstly, because of the shitty internet connection I don't have any patience to wait the (streamed!) anime to load enough so that I could watch it. Secondly and more importantly? only thing I really wanted to even watch was the new SAO episode but the latest episode they have is like a month old. "Watch anime an hour later than it was aired" my ass. Fvck Crunchyroll, I'm never giving this shitty service any more of my money even if it was the only source to watch any anime.

bouVIP

Reaction score
So got both seasons of Fate Zero and planning to binge watch them before starting the new FSN

Also just really wanted to post this cause best
96ir9hB.gif

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Guys... it's loading... guys... what do I do... I have so much work to do... but too much hype... guys... I'm about to explode... guys... GUYS.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Man, I don't know anything about the Fate series, but you guys are making me want to watch it. I've mentioned it waaaaaayyyy back in the thread, but I did try to watch Fate/Zero once about 3 years ago now, and I got really hooked on it, but ended up dropping it because I was so confused. I knew they were fighting for monty python's holy grail, and I knew the historical backgrounds of the erm.. "summoned" characters?.. but I still felt like I was missing something. There were many character relationships and interactions that seemed totally alien to me. The fight scenes were the only thing interesting me. Then I found out that this was the second anime adaption following Fate/Stay Night, a visual novel I had no clue existed. What do I need to understand the characters better? I guess I should just watch the first anime series, because I do not have the patience for visual novels, unfortunately.

You need nothing else to watch Fate/Zero. All you need is to really pay attention to that first episode and memorize the characters, events, and their names. Fate/Zero is excellent as a stand alone piece, although it does get you more hyped if you've played the visual novel before. However, you don't really need to do that. You can skip Deen's adaptation, too. I think if you start Fate/Zero again, you'll get into it.

Also, you don't need Fate/Zero, nor the visual novel, nor (God fobid) Deen's adaptation of the Fate route, to watch the one that's coming out now.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
GAAAHHH so episode #00 of Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works was endlessly satisfying. I love the way they're approaching the prologue. We get Rin's perspective of the events that happen during the prologue of the visual novel, which are never directly shown in the VN, and which pleases me greatly. In the VN we almost always follow Shirou, including the prologue, and it's not until much later that we can finish putting the pieces together and fit Tohsaka's perspective. It's really cool to see some new images. Aside from that, it seems to be following the VN identically. It is really cool that we did get a couple of blatant throwbacks to Fate/Zero (which aren't 100% necessary, but will tie things in with F/Z later on), including the episode's opening scene (don't worry, not a big spoiler for F/Z here), where we begin with a flashback of the moment when child Rin says goodbye to her dad (Tokiomi Tohsaka).

And that animation, maaaan... THE ANIMATION. Exactly like the YouTube commenter I quoted earlier said, it begins kind of slice-of-life-ish (which is important to get a feel of the context of things), and then we are treated with some absolutely GLORIOUS battle scenes. It's not just the battle scenes though, as even mundane scenes feature gorgeous sights and great detail of movement.

I cannot wait for next Saturday to get Shirou's perspective on the prologue (and, obviously, more action). :scream:

EDIT: sorry for continuous posts. I'm too excited. :lol:

EDIT 2: I just rewatched the episode. I just reaffirmed my belief that the name Unlimited Budget Works seems a lot more fitting:

(video will probably be taken down soon...)

Last edited:

Don Vito

Reaction score
....ing yay.. I'm spending the weekend at our summer cottage (which is at backwoods as backwoods go). So because I have no other form of entertainment, I bought the Crunchyroll sub for my phone so I could watch anime but firstly, because of the shitty internet connection I don't have any patience to wait the (streamed!) anime to load enough so that I could watch it. Secondly and more importantly? only thing I really wanted to even watch was the new SAO episode but the latest episode they have is like a month old. "Watch anime an hour later than it was aired" my ass. Fvck Crunchyroll, I'm never giving this shitty service any more of my money even if it was the only source to watch any anime.

Lol im also @ the backwoods summer house, but my phone's got 3g internet. Unfortunately, its an outdated samsung from like 2010, and crashes every current app, including crunchyroll and spotify. I can watch like one episode with Naruto ads every 2 secs, and then it gives me the middle finger. Fvvvvck

')