Anime/manga megathread

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Also started Fate/Zero and now I remember how depressing Sakura's life is. God damn you Matou family. T_T

Wait until the Heavens Feel movie gets released (or play the visual novel). Just uttering the word "Matou" will fill you with tenfold the disgust and blind rage that F/Z makes you feel.

I just found out there is a Sword Art Online movie...

WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME?! :scream:

I didn't even know this existed o_O... although if it's just a recap of season 1, then screw it. I think I had enough of season 1, :lo: and season 2 I'll watch eventually... some time.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bouVIP

Reaction score
I know vaguely what that bastard bitch ass ....er Shinji does to her!!!!!

So finished episode one. I remember not finishing episode one before because I thought it was going to be full of talking and be boring, but boy was I wrong.

The 1st episode is so great. I thought all of the exposition would be too much for me to pay attenion, but it really keeps you interested and locked in with how things began and develop. It explains the Holy Grail War and everyone's motivation well too. There was never a dull moment even though there weren't any fighting scenes or anything. Also the end of the episode holy crap was so freaking awesome!!!!

I didn't know about Kiritsugu being Ilya's father either...and her mom is pretty <3

and bonus adorable kid Rin

BzmqgxbCIAAbwaC.jpg:large

BzmsDulCUAApYqA.jpg:large

edit: Forgot to mention but I hated it when they showed adorable Rin scene and then right after they showed super depressing Sakura scene :/

Don Vito

Reaction score
Wait, is that Fate Zero? I don't remember that episode. I just watched the first episode of the new one whatever it's called, still dunno who anybody is but I liked it. Wat do

Fat-Elf

Banned
Reaction score
SAO 14.5

Does Japanese people have a memory of a goldfish or why the fug they keep making these pointless recap episodes? :squint:

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
^ They either a) need of some extra money for the following episodes, b) want to build up on hype, or c) all of the above. It's really shitty when that happens, especially where there is literally no break from one half of it to the other. Same thing happened with Attack on Titan. I totally skipped that episode. :lol:

I know vaguely what that bastard bitch ass ....er Shinji does to her!!!!!

So finished episode one. I remember not finishing episode one before because I thought it was going to be full of talking and be boring, but boy was I wrong.

The 1st episode is so great. I thought all of the exposition would be too much for me to pay attenion, but it really keeps you interested and locked in with how things began and develop. It explains the Holy Grail War and everyone's motivation well too. There was never a dull moment even though there weren't any fighting scenes or anything. Also the end of the episode holy crap was so freaking awesome!!!!

I didn't know about Kiritsugu being Ilya's father either...and her mom is pretty <3

and bonus adorable kid Rin

BzmqgxbCIAAbwaC.jpg:large

BzmsDulCUAApYqA.jpg:large

edit: Forgot to mention but I hated it when they showed adorable Rin scene and then right after they showed super depressing Sakura scene :/

Yeah, that first F/Z episode is fantastic. It's understandable why a lot of people don't like it though; it can feel like a huge info dump if you're not expecting it, but it does such a great job at giving out a lot of information while still keeping it interesting. Also, I can never get over the Saber twist by the end of it. :lol:

Wait, is that Fate Zero? I don't remember that episode. I just watched the first episode of the new one whatever it's called, still dunno who anybody is but I liked it. Wat do

Yep, that's from F/Z. I think it's from the first episode, but I could be wrong. It's from the scene where Kotomine is seeing little Rin and her mother off from the Tohsaka household.

bouVIP

Reaction score
Yea first episode closer to the end of the episode.

I've watched a few more episodes today (thank you slow day at work) and I love this series so much. The fight scenes are so awesome and the characters are great. F/Z Rider is so awesome! Way cooler than the 1 from F/SN.

mrdm53

Reaction score
Yea first episode closer to the end of the episode.

I've watched a few more episodes today (thank you slow day at work) and I love this series so much. The fight scenes are so awesome and the characters are great. F/Z Rider is so awesome! Way cooler than the 1 from F/SN.

Come on, Iskandar was a BRO. Personally i like him because he was more humane than other character, including Masters. i laughed lot during early episodes with Waver in his supposed-to-be parents.

wat

Reaction score
I LOOOOOOVE F/Z. :bowdown: Currently watching it a second time and picking up a lot of thing I missed ther first time around.

Rider is the man. I thought he was going to be annoying at first but he ended up being great. He has so many awesome quotes in this show. "If I defeat an enemy...you will buy me pants?" :lol:

Not a rider quote but one of the most moving "war is hell" type quotes I've ever heard and it came from this show:

"And there you go. You heard her, Iri. Our Heroic Spirit over there considers a battlefield to be better than Hell. What a joke. A battlefield is Hell itself. There's no hope to be had on one. There is nothing but unspeakable despair. Just a souless crime we call victory, paid for by the pain of the defeated. But humanity has never recognized this truth. And the reason is that, in every era, a dazzling hero has blinded the people with their legends, and kept them from seeing the evil of bloodshed they bring. True human nature has not advanced a step beyond the Stone Age."

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
This thread is very Fate-oriented these days.This pleases me.

But yeah, Fate/Zero has some great quotes and dialogue in general. I also find that particular quote you posted to be one of the best ones in the show, if only because I do think it tries to address a real issue. I loved Rider's
"I did say this drink is as your blood. If you insist on spilling it..." and then proceeds to wreak havoc.
Not to mention the whole of the Grail Dialogue episode (episode 10 or 11, not sure).

Come on, Iskandar was a BRO. Personally i like him because he was more humane than other character, including Masters. i laughed lot during early episodes with Waver in his supposed-to-be parents.

Broskandar is the shit. Other than being a coolio character (and perhaps the only little bit of comic relief in the entire show), I found his "let me convince you to make love, not war, or I'll f*ck you up" sort of thinking pretty interesting.

wat

Reaction score
^^I absolutely loved the contrast between Rider's and Saber's ways of thinking.

Saber believes the ruler must sacrifice every bit of their self for the people and that a happy life is a privilege a good ruler doesn't get to enjoy.

Rider says it's not only a king's right, but a king's duty even, to live more vividly and shine brighter than anyone else. And that a king who doesn't live life to the fullest is a fool.

Two ideals that are completely at odds with one another, yet both utterly convincing.

Saber's and Kiritsugu's clash of ideals is really great, too.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
^ You got that exactly right. Honestly, the clash of ideals is the backbone of the entire Fate franchise (of the core franchise anyway). I'll spoil a good chink of the ending of F/Z and some of Fate/Stay Night (all routes, but mainly Heavens Feel) here, so don't open if you don't want to read it, but, regarding contrasting ideologies,
the change in Kiritsugu's way of thinking after the Lesser Grail is destroyed is the biggest philosophical foil to Shiro's ideals in Fate/Stay Night. He starts off similarly to Kiritsugu: trying to save everyone (with the difference that Shiro is our typical shonen hero who refuses to kill anybody). However, in the Heavens Feel route, he turns around that ideology completely in order to save what he finds most important, much like Kiritsugu after the Lesser Grail is destroyed).

If the current Unlimited Blade Works plays out well, and the dialogue is kept intact, there's a really interesting ideological battle coming.

PS: also, I just noticed we've made it 50 pages! :woot: It's a proper megathread in true SSO fashion. :) Thanks everyone for keeping this thread alive for so long, even though we're not too many. :D

EDIT: I'll add onto this post this article that I found today, where the author briefly breaks down F/Z's 11'th episode, The Grail Dialogue. Honestly, I found it even better reading it than watching it, especially with all of the possible philosophical and political references that the author pointed out (some of which I had to look up, but were interesting nonetheless). That episode is such a great piece of writing.

(Beware of spoilers, obviously)
http://crusader888.blogspot.ca/2013/04/when-i-watch-anime-especially-classics.html

Last edited:

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
I just found out there is a Sword Art Online movie...

WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME?! :scream:

I didn't even know this existed o_O... although if it's just a recap of season 1, then screw it. I think I had enough of season 1, :lo: and season 2 I'll watch eventually... some time.

It's a recap with some extras, worth watching if you're a complete-ist, but that's about it. This and the recent 14.5(ugh) would be good for fast forwarding someone you want to watch new episodes with though, without having to wait for them to catch up. :lol:

Here's hoping the next villain isn't so cliche.

ferret

Reaction score
Kill la Kill done.
Gurren Lagann done.

What's next for me, gentlemen? On Netflix, original audio, decent subtitles, and preferably completed.

Don Vito

Reaction score
I've been playing Assassin's Creed 3 lately, and now I'm looking for anime with Native American themes. I've only found one series from the early 80's so far, and I remember seeing something called "Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet" that had some native looking character, but it's more of a sci-fi. Other than that, I've been re-watching Haruhi(as you could probably tell by my recent avatars), and damn, it's hitting me hard with nostalgia. Bad day? Just throw on some vintage Aya Hirano and put a smile on your face. Might have to re-watch Lucky Star next.

And I might have just gotten the new Levi Ackerman Figma for FREE. I'm pretty sure my situation is legal and 100% the dealer's fault, but my guilty conscious will probably end up returning him.

If not, pics soon lol.

Kill la Kill done.
That reminds me, I still need to check out the OVA.

edit: omg that ova was so stupid but awesome. only in anime can you see this kind of stuff.

Last edited:

Fat-Elf

Banned
Reaction score
"fatelfwillneverfinishklk"

Lol, I just noticed that and finished it today. :rolleyes:

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
And I might have just gotten the new Levi Ackerman...

I'm gonna come back to this later since I'm on my phone, but... why did you just say Levi 'Ackerman'...? ._.

ferret

Reaction score
Cause that's his name. They've never explained why he and Kenny share it though, other than the fact Kenny trained him.

bouVIP

Reaction score
So just watched episode 11 of Fate/Zero - Grail Dialogue and holy .... is it the best episode ever or what!?

It was mostly talking between Archer, Rider, and Saber but it was so awesome haha. I especially loved the part where Rider just bitchslaps Saber's ideals for a king. This episode made me like Gilgamesh a lot more too, and the exchanges between him and Rider were so funny.

also the end where Rider shows off his epic Noble Phantasm was so sweet

Anyone watching anything in the current season?

I'm watching a bunch, but so far my favorites are Amagi Brilliant Park and Inou Battle Within Everyday Life. Plot for both of them are pretty run of the mill, but they're funny and I love the art for them. I especially like Inou Battle because adorable characters with epic super powers is always win for me.

tumblr_ndhn1otwUk1rrr564o1_500.gif

Bz4NRpDCEAAeikn.jpg

tumblr_ndeyzpeNu41sc66cvo1_r1_500.gif

tumblr_nd1e4vLOTj1qh6swzo1_500.gif

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
I haven't watched any of those two, but I hear Amagi Brilliant Park is decent enough, though extremely different from anything Kyo Ani has done before. Inou Battle... I'd only watch it because it's Trigger, but I don't think I'd be very interested. I might give them a shot next time me and any one of my roommates are bored.

This season, my mains are Fate/Stay Night UBW (duh), Parasyte, and Shingeki no Bahamut. They all rock like you don't even know. Parasyte (Kiseijuu, in Japanese) is exactly what Tokyo Ghoul should have been like.

I've watched the first episode of quite a few, but I haven't been a fan of most.

I watched Gugure! Kokkuri-san and didn't really like it. Recycled jokes get old fast.

Watched the first of World Trigger. It didn't pique my interests one bit.

Watched the first of Cross Ange, and I feel it had A LOT of wasted potential.

Watched the first one of Garo, and it was alright, but I don't think I'll follow it religiously.

Watched the first of Grisaia no Kajitsu, and, while it wasn't my favorite, it feels like there could be something big brewing in there. Also, I'm following bouVIP's recommendation on this one.

Gundam G-Reco looks absolutely gorgeous with its old school style Eureka 7 vibe, but I'm just watching it because of visuals.

I also watched Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso (a.k.a. Your Lie in April) and, while it wasn't bad, nor was it badly done, it was too cheesy for me to really care enough. The art and animation are wonderful though.

Terra Formars f*cking sucked, bad. I watched the first two episodes and that was it.

And that's it for this season. Still gotta watch Shirobako though!

Worth mentioning is that I watched the first 3 episodes of Gekkan Shojo Nozaki-kun (even though it's from the summer 2014 season) and... I just don't understand why people rave about it so much. It's not terrible, but there's just nothing to keep me there, and I wasn't a fan of the humour (I'm generally not a fan of anime humour anyway). I was bored out of my mind. Only reason I watched 3 episodes was because my roommate was watching with me, and she wanted to give it a chance. We both dropped it. The OP song freaking rules though!

Cause that's his name. They've never explained why he and Kenny share it though, other than the fact Kenny trained him.

He's an Ackerman, man.

I literally had no idea that was his last name. Mind you, I have only watched the anime; I haven't read any of the manga. The fact he shares the same name as Mikasa is mind-blowing to me. Also, I have no idea who this Kenny dude is :lol: first thing to pop into my mind was South Park, but that obviously doesn't belong in this thread... :ugh: (unless we're talking about FLCL :lol:)

Latest posts

')