Anime/manga megathread

Veldar

Is Post-Thrash?
Reaction score
Figured I post in here since I've been watching more anime than I usually do. I've started watching cowboy bebop after 3 years of everyone recommending it to me and it's been pretty good so far up to episode 17 and then I have the movie to watch once the series is over, I also watched most of ghost hunt but got bored and stopped and I have psycho pass on my hard drive so that'll be next.

I do have a question though, are any of the Code Geass ova's good, it's my favorite Anime tied with Evangelion but do they add anything interesting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
The only thing I know about Akihito The Exiled is that it is a completely alternate story in a different country that takes place between the events of season 1 and season 2 of Code Geass. I believe there are no common characters with Code Geass, but it takes place in the same universe.

Also, I finished season 2 of Knights of Sidonia a few hours ago (don't judge me, I'm still on vacation :lol:). Much better than season 1, I thought, and the last two episodes were great, with one glorious final battle taking place. Despite its downfalls, I've come to love the show, if only for the atmosphere and feeling of absolute isolation it gives off. And I've come to realize that this is a show that merits being watched in full HD at 60 fps. Obviously the story doesn't even remotely end with season 2, so I may just have to pick up the manga, and I think I will, because I just NEED to know now.
Tsumugi is so oddly cute, too. So friggin' creepy (not to mention she's usually in the form of an incredibly phallic tentacle in an anime that gets ever more lewd), but she's still adorable.

bouVIP

Reaction score
Anyone watch the Psycho-Pass movie? It's sooooooo much better than S2 (cause written by the S1 writer). Hopefully we get more Psycho-Pass, but not like S2.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Aaahh I need to watch it. I didn't know it had come out already! I was pretty disappointed by season 2, given how good season 1 was. I'll watch it as soon as I can. (Which will probably be tomorrow.)

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Aaannnddd watched it. Pretty awesome film! Not quite as good as Psycho-Pass season 1, I thought, but beats season 2 to hell. I just like that style of writing a lot better than what they did with season 2. I felt the actual plot and premise weren't as thought-provoking as season 1's, but for its length it did a great job.

Fat-Elf

Banned
Reaction score
This season is pretty good. I've been watching Monster Musume which is decent for an ecchi/harem anime and I'm also familiar with the source material :)cool:). Working!!(!) getting a third season is awesome. Non Non Biyori second season, finally! Also, Gangsta seems somewhat promising and I've heard good stuff about it but I haven't had time to watch more than the first episode.

habicore_5150

El Psy Congroove
Reaction score
At some point, I had to owe it to myself to watch Elfen Lied. I'm glad that I started watching it now
Only up to the end of episode 6, and there were some moments there where I almost teared up a little

BigBaldIan

Bald and gribbly.
Reaction score
On a mate's recommendation I've watched Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt, for those not in know take The Powerpuff Girls, add equal amounts of Dirty Pair, Ren & Stimpy and Drawn Together. Then give the heady brew a hefty slug of weapons-grade recreational pharmaceuticals and allow to percolate. Possibly one of the wrongest and funniest things I've seen in a very long time.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
^ Sis has it on DVD. Been dying to watch it, but I never get around to it, for whatever reason.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
And with that, Elfen Lied is finished

How'd you like it? You should read the manga. ;) It's a looooott better. I keep repeating myself by telling people that, but it's seriously a lot better, even if the anime itself wasn't too bad.

habicore_5150

El Psy Congroove
Reaction score
How'd you like it? You should read the manga. ;) It's a looooott better. I keep repeating myself by telling people that, but it's seriously a lot better, even if the anime itself wasn't too bad.

Thought it was pretty good. There were a couple of moments in the anime where I almost teared up a little because of what happened with some of the characters (in the present time or in flashbacks)
Before the end, I thought that Lucy was the raging psychopath of the anime. That was until I saw the third Diclonius

The next thing to do is for another friend of mine (who recommended Steins;Gate) - watch Black Butler

Dusty Chalk

Reaction score
Started watching Last Exile again -- watched some of it before, but forgot where I left off, so I thought I'd just rewatch the whole thing from the beginning.

Is good. Top tier.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Thought it was pretty good. There were a couple of moments in the anime where I almost teared up a little because of what happened with some of the characters (in the present time or in flashbacks)
Before the end, I thought that Lucy was the raging psychopath of the anime. That was until I saw the third Diclonius

The next thing to do is for another friend of mine (who recommended Steins;Gate) - watch Black Butler

Again, read the manga, and I guarantee you will be bawling like a child. :lol: But yes, the anime managed to capture the essence of the manga well throughout most of it, but then decided to end it at a pretty random place and in the most stellar of ways either...

My little sis was obsessed with Black Butler for the longest time, but he keeps saying it's an irrational thing because apparently it isn't even that good, just very addicting. :lol: I wouldn't know though. I'll have to watch it at some point. She also tells me that the manga is a lot better (as it usually is with manga-based anime...)

habicore_5150

El Psy Congroove
Reaction score
Again, read the manga, and I guarantee you will be bawling like a child. :lol: But yes, the anime managed to capture the essence of the manga well throughout most of it, but then decided to end it at a pretty random place and in the most stellar of ways either...

My little sis was obsessed with Black Butler for the longest time, but he keeps saying it's an irrational thing because apparently it isn't even that good, just very addicting. :lol: I wouldn't know though. I'll have to watch it at some point. She also tells me that the manga is a lot better (as it usually is with manga-based anime...)

I wanted to watch that cause I got that as a recommendation from the same guy who recommended Steins;Gate simply because J Michael Tatum is in it. But after that, it's either Tokyo Ghoul or Mirai Nikki

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
My OTHER sister (got two) is the one obsessed with Tokyo Ghoul. Again, apparently the manga is infinitely better, though I can say that the first five episodes are still pretty good. I didn't like how they ended the show though (also watched the last episode). I should also watch Mirai Nikki at some point. I keep hearing mixed reviews of it, but everyone agrees that it is really entertaining.

On another note, I just finished watching the first episode of Gakkou Gurashi! (School-Live! in English) and... I mean... nothing could have prepared me for THAT TWIST. Holy sh*t. The last two minutes of the first episode. I loved that first episode, just because of those last two minutes. It's a comedy/slice-of-life episode, but look for the signs... just look for them if you do watch it. (Which you should.) EDIT: yeah, this show is pretty f*cked. 4 episodes in. It manages to be so disturbing on a very deep level while still remaining light-hearted enough... but the more you think about it, the more unsettling it becomes.

I guess I should also mention that I began watching God Eater, only because it's by ufotable. I absolutely LOVE the character designs, and the atmosphere of it. Too bad the story and plot are nowhere to be seen. A lot of people like the animation, and, while it is pretty fluid and well choreographed, there's something off about it that I can't quite pin point. I think it's the way that characters stand out so much from their backgrounds that they seem like magazine cut-outs in some frames, and, of course, the terrible CG. Good action though. I think ufotable just want to make a quick buck with this one before spending more money on something a bit more lucrative, like the Heavens Feel movie(s).

Last edited:

Don Vito

Reaction score
I have very fond memories of watching Mirai Nikki, but I tried re-watching it last year and couldn't even stomach the first 2 episodes. It's not a good show, but as you speculated, it is entertaining for at least one watch. There are some decently memorable characters like the pink haired yandere girl Yuno. There's also a qt. terrorist who may or may not have been my waifu circa 2013.

My OTHER sister (got two)
Anime must be genetic.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
^ Kinda. :rofl: Anime is huge in South America, and most kids grow up with it to some extent. I haven't met a single person over there from my generation that isn't more familiar with Dragon Ball than with, say, Family Guy, or South Park (of which the latter is hugely popular there, too). In fact, it wasn't until a later age that I became conscious of what anime actually was. To me, they were just the coolest of all cartoons. Anime was a word/concept that wasn't in my lexicon. I knew some of them came from Japan, but that was it. My cousins, my sisters, my friends, and I grew up watching the likes of DBZ, Sailor Moon, Inuyasha, Rurouni Kenshin (Samurai X over there), Evangelion, the Saber Marionette series, Soul Hunter, Ah My Goddess! (which, to date, has some of my favorite character designs ever), etc. We used to have this trippy ass channel called Locomotion where they'd show all kinds of anime, including more obscure ones from the 80's and 90's, regardless of genre and/or maturity level (it surprises me that my mom never blocked that channel, even though she hated it...). I remember watching part of SLE upon release, not knowing what it was. That channel eventually ceased to exist and got replaced by Animax, although I think that one was removed from Venezuelan TV ages ago. However, national TV still broadcasted the main shonen anime from back then on a regular schedule (and I think they still do). Then my family and I moved, so my sisters and I abandoned anime for quite a few years (you know, growing up as a teen in an American high school and anime being uncool 'childish cartoons'... which, really, in hindsight, they kind of are, :lol: but I can't be bothered to care anymore). I reluctantly picked it back up at around 19 at a friend's request, and my sisters followed shortly.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry for spamming the thread again all of a sudden, but I think I've officially caught the bug once more, and I'm finding some pretty great anime this season.

I just finished watching the first episode of Rokka no Yuusha. It looks gorgeous, it seems interesting, and I am loving the world-building they're doing so far, and their visual influences feel really fresh. The premise seems good enough, too. Also, the score is absolutely great, with my favorite OP this season from what I've seen, and my favorite ED theme.

Love the celtic/folk vibe of the ED. It reminded me slightly of the music from Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time.

')