Anime/manga megathread

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I was a fan of it until two things:

A. The characters are incapable of delivering dialogue like actual human beings; IE, they either scream it in anger or deliver it while sobbing like bitches

B. The big plot twist which denied me the show I wanted which was seeing how human ingenuity overcomes these giant titan motherfvckers, but instead there's magic and typical anime-ness to it

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Don Vito

Reaction score
Space Dandy premieres on Toonami tonight. I have no idea what it's about, but it looks colorful and loud.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I'm pretty pumped for Space Dandy. It seems like it'll be a fairly casual but still enjoyable anime; not trying too hard to be something its not.

Don Vito

Reaction score
Space Dandy premieres on Toonami tonight. I have no idea what it's about, but it looks colorful and loud.
Posts reminder; totally forgets to watch.

Okay, I had some late night errands that got in the way, but I should have re-scheduled. Did anyone catch it?

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
so after watching the inital d for the 4th time...

...i started in on the "gotchaman" series. quite a bit different from the "g-force / battle of the planets" i watched when i was a kid. still diggin it tho.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
"Space Dandy! He's a dandy guy... in space."

:rofl: I think I'm really going to like this. Good music, hilarious narration, and breastaurants. What's not to like? :lol:

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Okay, right, so I just finished Kara no Kyoukai: Garden of Sinners... I liked it A LOT, so I think I'm gonna break my spell and go into a bit more detail about it (spoiler free):

Kara no Kyoukai: Garden of Sinners

Oh boy. That was BRUTAL. I have no idea why that series isn't more popular, because it is pure genius and it is absolutely beautiful to behold.

I'm going to refrain from going into detail about the story and characters, as a good deal of the fun of watching Kara no Kyoukai was finding out what was going on, and understanding the characters' psyche. Put very simply, the show focuses mainly on the two protagonists, Shiki Ryougi and Mikiya Kokutou, as they solve crimes that have little rational explanation, thus resorting to the supernatural. Sounds fairly standard, buuuuut it's anything but. I'd say why and how, but I'd probably get into spoiler territory, and I do not wish for anybody to go into this awesome show with any kind of spoilers. Character and plot development are heavy, so expect your fair share of talking and a reminiscence. The script and dialogue are really engaging though, so that's not a problem at all. It has such a dark and heavy atmosphere, and the story can be as gruesome and f*cked up as it can be endearing and touching (there's a few instances of eye-bawling moments). And that seems to be a theme within this show, as it ranges from really sweet interaction between characters and deep emotions, to really messed up twists in the storyline, not to mention how utterly insane and f*cked some of the characters are.

Following this sort of "theme," the visuals can get to be as gruesome and disturbing as they are completely gorgeous. I wouldn't say it's a gory show per se, but when there's gore and it wants to leave an impression... it quite does. I was constantly pausing the film just to look at the backgrounds; it was all so beautiful and detailed, and I found character design to be really likeable (I love the way they drew the eyes). I think it's safe for me to say that the animation is, along with the art, some of the best that I have seen so far in anime, coming head to head with that of the Rebuild of Evangelion films. The fight scenes are just... well, jawdropping. Literally. It's not an action anime though, and I can probably count all the fight scenes with just the fingers of my hands, but they are all SOO worth it. Overall, the production quality of this show has left me almost speechless.

It also has an incredible soundtrack by Yuki Kajiura (Fate/Zero, .hack// franchise, Sword Art Online, Madoka Magica, basically one of my favorite anime composers), which, again, ranges from upbeat epics with string and choir arrangements to downright beautiful and soft piano tunes.

One of the more curious aspects of the show is its presentation. It's comprised of 7 films that, in total, add up to about the same running time as a regular 24-episode show, giving it a lot of time for development. Each film is anywhere from 45 to just a little over 60 minutes long, with two films being around the 2-hour mark. Each film has its own focus on plot, while touching on issues brought up in past films, and presenting new ones.

The other peculiarity is that the films aren't shown in chronological order, much like Haruhi Suzumiya. HOWEVER, it is done solely for narrative purposes, and, while you could watch it in chronological order, I'd strongly recommend watching it in broadcast order, because it is just so much more fun that way. Things get confusing, but not so much that the viewer won't understand, or in a way that too much time passes and one forgets all the details. That's where a big chunk of the genius of the film was put into. The narrative is just so exquisitely done.

All in all, and I will repeat myself, the fact that this anime is not more well-known kind of baffles me. It is completely brilliant, and, as of yet, I haven't found a flaw in it. Perhaps that fact that it's somewhat confusing in the beginning will throw some people off, as it does answer all the questions, but it does so in a very slow and progressive kind of manner. There are very few deus ex machina moments where many questions are answered at once, but I'd say not to worry; everything gets tidily resolved and tied with a bow so beautiful you'll want to see how it was tied several times over. At this point, I feel that saying it's "one of my favorites" has lost a lot of meaning as there is so much good anime out there, but I do think that this one will remain as one of the most memorable for me, if only for its sheer brilliance of execution and production values.

TL;DR go watch it RIGHT NOW because it is amazing.

EDIT: I forgot to put in there somewhere that the show actually reminds me a lot of a much more mature, much better executed, much less creepy (though it admittedly has a hint of a "moment"), much more atmospheric and a tad darker, and infinitely more gorgeous Elfen Lied (not to put it down, but I found it so much better). The plots don't resemble each other a lot, but it somehow feels very similar.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
So I made a bad decision earlier today and marathoned School Days... I REALLY wish I hadn't watched that abomination of a... thing...

KJGaruda

Likes a good riff
Reaction score
I got started with Sword Art Online a couple days ago, but I didn't realize it had a romance sub-theme until halfway through.

I'm now on the 16th episode and it all feels... distracted for some reason. Like, there was a story, a set goal, and then it just sorta peters off into something else. My girlfriend loved it, but I'm just sorta feeling like :rolleyes: now.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
I swear I will stop posting here so often as soon as university work really kicks in, but I'm just cramming in as many anime shows as possible before that happens, and I feel like I have to write the things I like somewhere in the form of recommendations. Which leads me to say that I started watching Aku no Hana (tr. The Flowers of Evil) yesterday. Shit is WEIRD, but if you're able to get used to the rotoscoped art and animation, you should be able to really feel how raw, unpredictable, and ultimately real it is. The rotoscoping gives it that sensation of it being more of a live-action show than an anime, and makes it feel a lot more real. It's kinda psychologically messed up. It's actually really creepy in a strange way. And the ending music. Oh, that ending! Not only is it great by itself, but it suits the mood of the anime perfectly. I love how it begins playing by the end of each episode before it actually ends, and how it compliments the situation. So good. But really, it's kind of understandable why someone wouldn't want to watch it. The art is REALLY weird and kinda choppy. Experimental, but perhaps too experimental. As far as story, script, and mood go, though... .... me, it's almost perfect.

bouVIP

Reaction score
Nisekoi finally aired! It's a typical shounen jump romantic comedy, but the art is beautiful and characters are likeable!

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
^ Thanks for pointing that out! I went and watched the first episode. Thoroughly hilarious, and the characters seem great. Of course, it's as stereotypical as it gets in anime, but it's really enjoyable anyway; the love triangle is set up nicely and quickly (though very predictably), and it isn't trying to be something it's not. It doesn't feel forced. The art is great with vibrant colors and likeable character designs, and the animation is great; not perfect, but quite good. Of course, we're still barely on the first episode, so a lot of these things are likely to change - for better or worse. What really has me worried about it is the fact that it's an anime based on a manga that hasn't yet come to a conclusion. I'm fearing either fillers or distasteful cliffhangers, or both. Regardless, the first episode was well worth the watch.

EDIT: forgot to make mention of the music. I liked the main theme of the show, and the opening music is performed by ClariS, who also performed the opening for Madoka Magica. While it isn't anything to write home about, it's quite pleasant.

bouVIP

Reaction score
^ Thanks for pointing that out! I went and watched the first episode. Thoroughly hilarious, and the characters seem great. Of course, it's as stereotypical as it gets in anime, but it's really enjoyable anyway; the love triangle is set up nicely and quickly (though very predictably), and it isn't trying to be something it's not. It doesn't feel forced. The art is great with vibrant colors and likeable character designs, and the animation is great; not perfect, but quite good. Of course, we're still barely on the first episode, so a lot of these things are likely to change - for better or worse. What really has me worried about it is the fact that it's an anime based on a manga that hasn't yet come to a conclusion. I'm fearing either fillers or distasteful cliffhangers, or both. Regardless, the first episode was well worth the watch.

well the manga is 100+ chapters in and the anime will probably be like 20 or so episodes. No spoilers or anything, but manga isn't anywhere close to a conclusion haha

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Well then, I hope they find a way to wrap it up nicely haha. It's not impossible to do, that's for sure. Haruhi Suzumiya did it very well with the Disappearance film. I guess I'll wait and see, and enjoy the ride meanwhile :)

Raaaaal13

Reaction score
bouVIP: I'm really glad I'm not the only one excited for Nisekoi(digging the fact that your avatar is Tsugumi btw). Loved all of the manga so it being a show makes me so happy. Dug the first episode and really glad that ClariS did the theme. Also I believe the show will be 26 episodes. I think I read somewhere that it will reach the "Romeo and Juliet" arc but don't quote me on that one.

While keeping up with this current season, I decided to watch a show I never had the chance to watch before: Outlaw Star. So far I'm digging it. Its pretty weird to be watching current stuff while watching this show as well though considering the age gap.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Re-watching "Attack on Titan" and I've gotta say, the dubbed version really ruins this show and it shouldn't have EVER been dubbed. The Japanese voice actors emote the characters way better; namely Eren, as in this case he actually speaks not just YELLING AT MAX VOLUME WHILE CRYING or whispering like a little scared baby. I'm now on episode 7 and I started just last night from episode 3.

bouVIP

Reaction score
bouVIP: I'm really glad I'm not the only one excited for Nisekoi(digging the fact that your avatar is Tsugumi btw). Loved all of the manga so it being a show makes me so happy. Dug the first episode and really glad that ClariS did the theme. Also I believe the show will be 26 episodes. I think I read somewhere that it will reach the "Romeo and Juliet" arc but don't quote me on that one.

oh Awesome! Tsugumi is the best <3

Finally caught up with Log Horizon and the story has become intense! I'm loving it.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
Re-watching "Attack on Titan" and I've gotta say, the dubbed version really ruins this show and it shouldn't have EVER been dubbed. The Japanese voice actors emote the characters way better; namely Eren, as in this case he actually speaks not just YELLING AT MAX VOLUME WHILE CRYING or whispering like a little scared baby. I'm now on episode 7 and I started just last night from episode 3.

I thought the Japanese voice actors were awful too. Overall, I hated that series.

Of the new stuff out this season I've been enjoying Kill la Kill at least 10,000 times more. It's just so ridiculous and over the top and hilarious, with some pretty cool fight scenes too AND some cool twists without that Lost kinda feel, like how Attack on Titan keeps throwing all of these curveballs at you when I don't think there is any way for them to give a good explanation for them.

like... seriously... :lol:

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
I love anime, but.. just... what...? :ugh:.... :rofl:

I cringed so hard it broke my spine.

')