Another cab thread? Jawesome!

• Thread starter Guitarmiester
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Guitarmiester

Awesome-O
Reaction score
Yup... one more thread about cabs to add to the hundreds of existing threads, you're welcome!

I've done some serious downsizing due to my move to CO that past October. I had a Mesa Triple Recto, Marshall JCM900 SL-X, Mesa Stiletto Deuce, Orange 4x12, Orange 1x12, Peavey JSX 4x12, and Marshall 1960. I sold everything but the Mesa Stiletto Deuce and am in the process of getting back into getting a band going/joining a band. I'm not totally sure what kind of cab I want to get.

I'm leaning toward another Orange since it sounded great with the Stiletto and I found a guy selling one, but they're so bulky and I'm on the 3rd floor of my apt. building. I've been wanting to try out cabs but the Guitar Center near me is probably the worst GC I've ever been to. It's a really small store and their amp selection is extremely small and consists of nothing but Vox Valvetronix, Peavey Vypers, and Line6 Spiders and a 6505+ sitting on top of a cheap Peavey 4x12.

The Stiletto is a bright amp so I need something that has a tamed high end. I've heard a few people tell me C90's sound great with the Stiletto, but I'm not aware of any cabs, other than some older Mesa's, that have C90's. Suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
What about an Avatar Contemporary 2x12? Same dimensions/qualities as the Orange, but way cheaper. I've got one with V30s and have played a couple others and I could see myself sticking with Avatar cabs indefinitely.

You could always buy an unloaded cab and get some C90s, or buy one with the speakers of your choice and try out C90s down the road.

EDIT: www.avatarspeakers.com

Guitarmiester

Awesome-O
Reaction score
I almost forgot about Avatar cabs. Before moving, I came across an Avatar Vintage that I almost bought but decided to wait. I'll have to look into them again, thanks!

Brian D

Reaction score
The Avatar Contemporary's are pretty damn awesome -- that's probably your best bet.

Personally, I hate the sound of C90's. They really don't complement the transparent Mesa Boogie mid range character of any Boogie I've ever played or heard, including the Stiletto. I would just go for V30's -- you can never go wrong.

Guitarmiester

Awesome-O
Reaction score
The Avatar cabs aren't badly priced at all, I thought I remembered them being a little more expensive. If I can't score this guys Orange 4x12 then I'll most likely order an Avatar. Thanks for the suggestions and input everyone!

Garrett

Blinded By Ibanez
Reaction score
The avatar cabs are absolutely rock solid. They are mroe then worth the price. My contemporary 2x12 with v30's just sounds amazing.

')