Another Economy picking question...

How would you pick the sequence in the OP?

• Total voters

billinder33

Reaction score
Though this one was worthy of a different thread, since it's actually about a technical scenario....

I'm working on this arpeggio exercise that's basically 3 repeating notes on strings 4, 5, and 6 (G,B,E)... just a repeating 3-note arpeggio pattern 4,5,6; 4,5,6; 4,5,6; 4,5,6;... etc.

Obviously the first stroke on the 4 string would be down, but trying to determining if when repeating the pattern, should I upstroke or downstroke the 4 string.

So question for the economy masters... would you typically play this exercise like:
down,down,down; up,down,down; up,down,down; etc...
or like:
down,down,down; down,down,down; down,down,down; etc...

I'm finding down,down,down; up... to be harder than all down strokes. But when played right it seems smoother, more able to keep steady 16th notes.

Just curious what you guy's typical approach is? Hoping to get some feedback before I try to commit something memory via repetition/practice...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

billinder33

Reaction score
Just noticed the "Popular Sweep-Picking Exercise", I guess it sort of addresses this question as well...

Rawkmann

Reaction score
Took me a second but I THINK I understand what You are talking about now. A good example would be the arpeggio sequence at the end of the solo of 'Child in Time' by Deep Purple. In that case, I would use all down strokes personally, of course letting the momentum of the pick do most of the work. Getting back into position every time can be tricky but if u practice you'll get pretty fast at it.

Rawkmann

Reaction score
I'll say another good way to play that sequence would be using hybrid picking which would have You pick the first note then use Your middle and ring finger to pluck the next two strings. That would actually be the most efficient way of playing it I'd think.

jaxadam

Reaction score
On the repeat, I would do up down down, so that would make me actually start up down down. So from start to finish the whole time I would be doing up down down.

')