Another Gibson (and Epiphone?) Kirk Hammett sig coming

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score

I'm uhh gonna have to eat my hat. It looks like it is an exclusive deal? Or am I misreading the video? Watching it now.

Zado

Reaction score
Again?

aaa.jpg

He's likely gonna have a double partnership tho

Shredrrr

Reaction score
This makes more sense to me more than the Mustaine thing. He's got history with the brand and he's been playing a ton of LPs the last few years. Interested to see what they produce.

Adieu

Reaction score
Gibson already did a Kirk Hammett V in the past, and Kirk never dropped his ESP endorsement because of it.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HammettVAged--gibson-custom-kirk-hammett-flying-v-aged

Unless Kirk is *actually* dropping his ESP endorsement for this (high doubt), it's probably just another Kill 'Em All V reissue. ESP has been *extremely* lax with the Metallica guys using whatever they want, although Gibson pissed off Papa het enough for him to go back to being a (mostly) strictly ESP guy in 2009. Honestly I think the only Gibsons Hetfield plays now is his vintage late-'50s Gibsons.

So... it's a Faded V with an EMG swap?

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
His Instagram post mentions he is with both ESP and Gibson. When it comes to Metallica, companies don’t have to compete with each other, they’re all going to make money, they just need to get them onboard. I like to think at this point Metallica approaches all negotiations a la Les Grossman.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
It’s an exclusive interview. On the new exclusive Gibson/Epi Les Paul. Because ESP can’t make a Gibson/Epi Les Paul. The words still work.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
To be fair, Metallica albums are more Gibson than ESP anyhow.
Get the Authentic™ studio tone!

Lets be honest here... James plays 90% of the album and Kirk comes in when they need a solo. Kirk's tone isn't 'desirable' by any stretch really. It works for him. But I don't know anyone that would volunteer to have his sound. That said...

Its an "Exclusive Partnership". That means Kirk gets a sig LP, and maybe another V. ESP doesn't give two shits, because his MII sigs are minting fresh currency for them every year. When you get to THAT level of notoriety, every company on the planet could make you a sig and no one is going to care because everyone wins. Especially Kirk.

That said, I'd buy an Eclipse every time over a Gibson. Lighter. Better made. No nitro. And better pickups.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
Lets be honest here... James plays 90% of the album and Kirk comes in when they need a solo. Kirk's tone isn't 'desirable' by any stretch really. It works for him. But I don't know anyone that would volunteer to have his sound. That said...

Its an "Exclusive Partnership". That means Kirk gets a sig LP, and maybe another V. ESP doesn't give two shits, because his MII sigs are minting fresh currency for them every year. When you get to THAT level of notoriety, every company on the planet could make you a sig and no one is going to care because everyone wins. Especially Kirk.

That said, I'd buy an Eclipse every time over a Gibson. Lighter. Better made. No nitro. And better pickups.

Still, the tone of Metallica is Papa Het's Gibsons. Always has been and probably still will be. I don't care what they play. I'm not a big enough fan to go tone hunting for their sound. A custom shop Eclipse or a custom shop Les Paul will both be insanely good. Kirk isn't getting the same axe you are getting off the rack.

Accoun

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
With the companies being together now, I'm kinda surprised Mesa didn't poach him from... whatever's left of Randall. Like, are they even alive enough to contest it?

I guess it would collide with KEA-related marketing from Gibson, tho.

protest

Reaction score
With the companies being together now, I'm kinda surprised Mesa didn't poach him from... whatever's left of Randall. Like, are they even alive enough to contest it?

I guess it would collide with KEA-related marketing from Gibson, tho.

He's already a Mesa artist from back in the 80s/90s

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score

Meanwhile no nitro is a hard pass for me in a high end LP (depending on finish aesthetic of course).

And "better" pickups is subjective. I'll take Gibson tone over ESP all day every day for all things but modern metal. And even then my 496/500 run circles around most of these $$$ aftermarket pickups. YMMV

')