Another "i need pickups" thread...mahogany jackson kelly

• Thread starter Sdrizis89
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sdrizis89

Reaction score
SO im thinking about swapping the bridge pup (for now) on my Jackson Kelly. I have a custom shop kelly made of all mahogany. Here are the exact specs on my guitar:

Mahogany Body
3-Piece Mahogany Neck
Ebony Fretboard
24.75" Scale Length
Standard Jackson .790-.850 Neck Profile
Pearl Block Inlays
24 Jumbo Frets
Tune-o-matic bridge
Stopbar Tailpiece
Seymour Duncan Pearly Gate Humbuckers
2 Volume, 2 Tone Controls
3-Way Toggle Switch

I already own a BKP ceramic nailbomb in a les paul axcess and love it. I also have a Dimarzio Crunch lab in a Jackson SLSH_MAHQ and love that as well. Now i def would use one of these pickups again as i really do like them both. Tones i love and have influenced my tone are killswitch engage, parkway drive, and revocation. Im looking for thundering lows but tight, with a healthy amount of mids, and smooth highs (not shrill or harsh). Any other recommendations besides what i have in my other axes or should i use the C-bomb or Crunch lab again after deciding what i like better...really would not mind using of of them as i love their tones. As for the neck pup, i really like the pearly gates neck that i have in it. But i am open to suggestions. I have the liquifire (love it, fav neck pup) and the cold sweat (dont like it as much). Thanks for the input in advance!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Parkway and KsE use EMGs and Revocation uses D-Activator in the bridge, so the DA may be worth a shot :2c:

If you've already got the CL and Nailbomb in other guitars, why not just swap the pickup into the Kelly to see how you like each of them?

Itchyman

Reaction score
You might consider BKP Aftermaths. I would place them close to a 59/JB set, with more output and a little more geared toward metal, than hard rock.

Sdrizis89

Reaction score
EMGS...dont really want them, ive had them, liked them, but their not exactly what i want. I have a dactivator 7, great pup but i feel it might have a little too much output for me. I'd have to pay to have my own pups swapped from guitar to guitar bc ive never done it myself and id rather not try for the first time on these particular guitars...

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the DA7 and 6 are pretty different. But if it's still too much output, maybe look into a Dominion, Breed or Gravity Storm

clintsal

Humbub
Reaction score
+1 for dominion in mahogany, and would also throw a painkiller into the mix, shorter scale plus mahogany would be a MONSTER combination

5150time

Now with Vitamin R
Reaction score
Ever thought about Duncan Distortions? I've always liked them, but once I tried them in my own all mahogany Jackson they've become something I love. Could be a winner for you, too.

Sdrizis89

Reaction score
Ben from bkp has recommended the painkiller bridge...anyone have experience with it? Thanks for all of the help and input in advance!

5150time

Now with Vitamin R
Reaction score
That's a solid choice. I've had Painkillers in 6, 7, and 8 string varieties and they deliver. They've got a definitive British tone that has a lot of thickness and mids if that's what you're looking for. Personally, I prefer Aftermaths a little more over Painkillers in mahogany because I find them to be a little more nasty, but either one will be worth the experience.

Sdrizis89

Reaction score
That's a solid choice. I've had Painkillers in 6, 7, and 8 string varieties and they deliver. They've got a definitive British tone that has a lot of thickness and mids if that's what you're looking for. Personally, I prefer Aftermaths a little more over Painkillers in mahogany because I find them to be a little more nasty, but either one will be worth the experience.

They looks very interesting. How do they compare to a ceramic nailbomb?

5150time

Now with Vitamin R
Reaction score
I don't really think they're the same animal at all. After two ceramic Nailbomb sets in different guitars, they just weren't for me, although it's been a year since I've last tried them.

The biggest thing I noticed is that the mids aren't there. The ceramic version is much more scooped and trebly than something like a Painkiller. I remember distinctly thinking 3 years ago that they sounded sort of like D-Activators - although tone is so subjective that I'm sure others haven't thought that at all. Even though I'm generally a "Mids? What are those?" type of player, these were a little too scooped for my taste. I know it's backwards that I like to scoop mids yet enjoy mid-heavy pickups, but that's just what I like.

Sdrizis89

Reaction score
narrowing it down to the C-bomb, Painkiller, Crunch lab, SD Custom sh-5 and d'activator.

Just A/b the C-bomb and Crunch lab for a while, both are in mahogany guitars with maple tops. C-bomb has a little more thump in the bass and lower mids, good highs and clarity. The crunch lab has more mids and is amazing for leads. not sure what the painkiller will be like as i love a good thump...wish i could combine the crunch lab with the c-bomb

')