Another new guy here

• Thread starter kmanick
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
Just got the 7 string bug about 2 months ago (thanks to Loomis,Smythe/Broderick and company) :hbang:
I've been on a tear trying to learn every Nevermore song from their last 3 albums that I can.
my 7 weapon at the moment ESP M-207. found it for dirt cheap in a daddys.
Not bad, great rhythm guitar , the previous owner put in a real duncan at the bridge so it sounds great, but it doesn't feel great to play lead on.
It also does feel kind of cheap to me, but it did make me realize that I love playing 7's so I am trying to figure out where to go from here.
Ibanez necks are a little too thin for me. I've been looking at the Caparison Dellinger 7, the Boel Marcel Coenen model, or maybe having GMW make me a custom, since I actually like maple boards better than Rosewood or Ebony.
A hellraiser 7 is definitely an option too (if I could ever find one to try) :rant:

DSCN0262.jpg

my 6 string set up GMW charvel clone (killer guitar) 5150 , B-52 At 212 Marshall 1960Ax cab , Avatar 2X12 hellatone V30's cab.
DSCN0145.jpg

2001 USA SL2H Jackson soloist.
DSCN0147.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Welcome :wavey:

Well, depends how much you've got to spend. An M-307 is the next step up and is neck-through with EMG-HZ's. Replace those with real EMG's and you've got a killer guitar. Obviously there's the ESP Carpenter's and if you've got lots of money you could always get an ESP custom shop.

Otherwise a Schecter Hellraiser or Blackjack is a good option.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
The hellraiser 7 is on my list as next to check out, but ideally I'd love a maple board neck thru 7 with a floyd.
I'm probably looking at a custom shop aren't I?

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Probably. I've seen very few maple boarded 7's, the only "common" one that comes to mind is the old green Universe. If you want a neck through 7 with a fatter neck, try a Carvin. They have a maple board option.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh yeah. If soneone made a 7 with those specs, I'd own it. ;)

Oh, and welcome. Nice top on the GMW.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
thanks
that GMW is an amazing player. :hbang:
Not a top it's a solid maple 2 piece quilted body.
here's what the back looks like
2005-02-08022.jpg

If I could get this exact guitar in a 7 (strathead and all) I'd be in heaven.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
metalfiend666 said:
Carvin have the 727 with 2 humbuckers or the 747 with a single coil in the middle.

...but without a real Floyd - just the loTRS crap - and you can't drop one in without re-routing. ;)

kmanick said:
thanks
that GMW is an amazing player. :hbang:
Not a top it's a solid maple 2 piece quilted body.

Yeesh. I bet that hurt the wallet a tad. :lol:

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
I actually got it on an even trade for a Ratt Bomber Graphic GMW that I had
and I won that one on Ebay for $1,200.00, so not too bad.

this one
myJapbomber2.jpg

that was a cool guitar too, but the blue one was calling my name.

7slinger

wake up dead
Contributor
Reaction score
kmanick said:
2001 USA SL2H Jackson soloist.
DSCN0147.jpg

Welcome...I used to own this exact guitar, it was my dream guitar for a long time. The one I had I don't think had as nice a top as that one though. I sold it because I never touched it after I got my first seven string.

...I don't even own a six string anymore

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
It's funny you say that, mine hasn't seen much play time either. My GMW has a D-tuna on it and I've been on a Nevermore tear lately so the 7 and the GMW have been getting all my attention lately.
I ususally use this for Satch,Vai and Greg Howe stuff.

Black Watch

Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to the boards, I am new here myself. Nice choice in amps!

If you have a moment to comment on your opinions of ESP guitars, I would love to hear it. I had a negative run-in with ESP back in 97 and have not given them much thought since. I would be interested to hear opinions of them.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks!
I have always been a Jackson/Charvel/GMW player. I found that M-207 in a daddys for dirt cheap so I decided to give it a try.
It's not bad, a little hard to play lead on because for me the frets feel a little small (I think they had been ground down by the previous owner), this one has got a real duncan at the bridge so it sounds great. the neck pickup is a duncan Designed and it's a little weak so I don't use it much.
Below the 12th fret I love it, it's a great feeling rhythm guitar, above the 12th fret is where it loses me.
If it was a little easier to play lead on, I would probably change out all the cheap hardware and upgrade it to top notch stuff and use it as one of my main players. the neck shape on it is really nice, it's a very comfortable switch from a 6 string to this. If you have never played a 7 before , this is a great first one to try.
It's made me a complete 7 string convert :hbang:

Seedawakener

ouh...
Reaction score
NEVERMORE NEVERMORE NEVERMORE!!! Welcome dude, and u sure have a great taste in music!

whats ur favorite nevermorealbum btw?

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
thanks!
I've been learning (trying to learn anyway) everything I can off of Dead heart in a Dead World, Enemies of Reality and This Godless Endeavor. I don't know if I have a favorite, it seems like I go back and forth between these 3 cds constantly, I love all 3 of them, if I had to pick one it would probably be DHIADW. I love Jeff's guitar tone an that CD the best and I think Warrel sounds great on that CD, but ask me this tomorrow and I may say TGE :hbang:
I had been listening to and playing nothing but shred for the last couple of years and about 6 months ago someone on the Jackson/Charvel forum turned me onto the remix of EOR and that was all she wrote.
Finally some real kick ass technical metal with a real singer.
Nevermore f'n rules !!!! :shred:

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
:wavey:

nice stuff! man, you Boston area 7 stringers are multiplying! is Chris putting out flyers or something?

Latest posts