Another New Trivium Song

• Thread starter nikolazjalic
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

FarBeyondMetal

Reaction score
Not a fan of this song or In waves......this band has been on a downward spiral (imo) after Ascendancy was released.

Rest assured knowing that if a metal band is out there making music, Trivium will be there to copy it.

I don't understand why Trivium get so much shit...Shogun was fucking epic. I guess when you get popular people think your selling out...pure jealousy that their not selling out their tickets at their shows. Don't get me wrong I love all death metal, but it seems that some people think that a band is only good if their vocals are so guttural it sounds like the cookie monster choking on a mouth full of marbles, the guitars play 400bpm tremolo picked riffs so they all sound the same like a swarm of bees and the blast beats never stop to allow variation in their riffing...they are sticking to their core audience and never releasing anything better. They are awesome?:nuts: To each his own

Murmel

Reaction score
^
This a fucking million times. I'm so tired of the 'selling out' shit that I could violently sodomize it.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
I don't understand why Trivium get so much shit...Shogun was fucking epic. I guess when you get popular people think your selling out...pure jealousy that their not selling out their tickets at their shows. Don't get me wrong I love all death metal, but it seems that some people think that a band is only good if their vocals are so guttural it sounds like the cookie monster choking on a mouth full of marbles, the guitars play 400bpm tremolo picked riffs so they all sound the same like a swarm of bees and the blast beats never stop to allow variation in their riffing...they are sticking to their core audience and never releasing anything better. They are awesome?:nuts: To each his own

Why bring death metal into this?

Murmel

Reaction score
Why bring death metal into this?

Because the majority of fans of extreme metal seem to think that just because something has a remote sense of melody, or doesn't sound brutal as fuck, or sounds just remotely like something that is played on the radio today they come to the conclusion that they are sellouts.

:lol:

If that's the case, then I'd say that Trivium were sellouts from the start with Ascendancy (because metalcore is the sellout of sellouts, right? :lol:). Then started selling out less with The Crusade and Shogun. Now they're going for a mix of Ascendancy and Shogun, which should then mean that they are semi-sellouts now?

FarBeyondMetal

Reaction score
Because the majority of fans of extreme metal seem to think that just because something has a remote sense of melody, or doesn't sound brutal as fuck, or sounds just remotely like something that is played on the radio today they come to the conclusion that they are sellouts.

If that's the case, then I'd say that Trivium were sellouts from the start with Ascendancy (because metalcore is the sellout of sellouts, right? :lol:). Then started selling out less with The Crusade and Shogun. Now they're going for a mix of Ascendancy and Shogun, which should then mean that they are semi-sellouts now?

Exactly what he said:yesway:

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score

I'm not bothered whether they are selling out or selling in for that matter, and there is no need to have a sly dig at extreme metal. I generally prefer my music heavier than Trivium, but I like bands lighters than Trivium too, so don't try and pull that one on me. I'd imagine that most metal fans (extreme or not) who don't like Trivium don't like them for the same reasons as me; mainly in that I find their music to be dull and generic.

Murmel

Reaction score
I'm not bothered whether they are selling out or selling in for that matter, and there is no need to have a sly dig at extreme metal. I generally prefer my music heavier than Trivium, but I like bands lighters than Trivium too, so don't try and pull that one on me. I'd imagine that most metal fans (extreme or not) who don't like Trivium don't like them for the same reasons as me; mainly in that I find their music to be dull and generic.

I never said that you only listen to extreme metal, I was referring to that a lot of the fans think the way I said. It's true for any kind of metal really. You could put it in a scale. (This scale will vary from person to person how the perviece it, this is how I've experienced it).

These are just examples of bands, to get an overview.

Bullet For My Valentine fans on power metal; "This is gay, listen to real metal".
Children of Bodom fans on BFMV; "Fucking scene kids and their emo music, go cut yourself".
*random death metal band* fans on CoB; "How can you listen to that fake ass thing that you call CoB? It's not nearly brutal enough".

And it just goes on and on and on and on.......

Everyone percieve music differently, I can understand if you find Trivium dull, I find a lot of bands that are renowned here dull. I'm kinda falling away from metal right now, and most of the stuff I listen to is way softer than Trivium, and musically, often even duller than them :lol:

I just think it's sad that often times the less brutal you get, the more of a sellout people make you out to be.
I would never make death metal music, I'd much rather play metalcore. Does that make me a sellout?

arkohors

Reaction score

Your analysis of my comment is completely wrong....

"some people think that a band is only good if their vocals are so guttural it sounds like the cookie monster choking on a mouth full of marbles"

I actually prefer heafy's clean vocals compared to his growls (which i think are some of the worst in metal), so that argument is completely invalid towards my comment.

I have all of trivium's albums, and to me, their music has become boring and cliched. Sure, Shogun was a departure from what they've done on their previous 3 albums, but it's is a completely forgettable album. I spun it a few times, but it just sits on the shelf collecting dust now.

My music tastes range from classical/baroque to 70's rock, 80's rock, hair metal, power metal, extreme metal, djent, death, pop, prog metal, etc. The list goes on. So basing an argument about songs having melody and not just being 3-4 minutes of blast beats doesn't apply to all fans of trivium and/or extreme metal.....and i could care less if the majority of people think a band are sellouts. That has no affect on whether i enjoy a band or not

Also, i should iterate this: I don't get upset when a band evolves or tries new approaches/different ideas when writing new albums. Music is a subjective experience, everyone hears and likes different music.
You two are falling under the availability heuristic (you're generalizing opinions you heard from a few trivium haters to everyone who criticizes them).

I'm not trying to start an argument or troll, only get across that you can't generalize opinions to everyone who disagrees with your tastes.....

My opinion is that the past couple of trivium albums did not suit my tastes, and i feel that the new trivium songs, especially In Waves are absolute garbage.

Murmel

Reaction score
^
This is a good answer :yesway:

I can only go from of my own experience, and that's pretty much what I have done. It's a big generalization, but from what I have experienced, it's been mostly true.
Clearly, you're not one of the retarded haters, and I respect that, I pretty much lost this argument because I have nothing else to say :lol:

Let's all be friends :wub:

K3V1N SHR3DZ

Reaction score
I hated Ember to Inferno.
I thought Ascendency was OK (I hated how ALMOST EVERY SONG had a super saccharine choruse that totally destroyed the momentum. It was like Arch Enemy Frankensteined to Bon Jovi).

I fucking LOVED the Crusade, mainly due to the choruses being more cohesive with the songs, and Heafy not doing his TERRIBLE harsh (hardcore) vocals.

I thought 3/4 of Shogun was boss. (but I discovered The Faceless's Akeldama, and it crowded out everything else that year, so Shogun got no attention)
I loved "Shattering the Skies Above", and was stoked to hear a real metal drummer on Trivium.

After hearing these two new songs and reading an interview where they talked about making sure the drummer didn't "overplay", I have NO HOPE for a good metal album from these guys.

DC23

Reaction score
I can't say I am a fan of a song. I mean it's 'alright' but I kind of expected more from them. I kinda feel like they held back just to make something simple. I guess that's not bad, but it doesn't make it memorable either.

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score
I can't say I am a fan of a song. I mean it's 'alright' but I kind of expected more from them. I kinda feel like they held back just to make something simple. I guess that's not bad, but it doesn't make it memorable either.

Yeah there's no wrong or right, people either dig it or dont (as long as the reasoning isn't "its trivium"). I find the riffing really dark, and almost eerie which I like.

jamsea

Reaction score
Trivium's the reason I started playing guitar, part of the reason I bought a seven string, and one of the reasons I bought an axe fx, so needless to say I'm a bit biased :p

Looks like this cd is going to be a mix of catchy choruses and brutal metal. I'm 100% down for this.

CrownofWorms

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong I love all death metal, but it seems that some people think that a band is only good if their vocals are so guttural it sounds like the cookie monster choking on a mouth full of marbles, the guitars play 400bpm tremolo picked riffs so they all sound the same like a swarm of bees and the blast beats never stop to allow variation in their riffing...they are sticking to their core audience and never releasing anything better. They are awesome?:nuts: To each his own
:noplease: Aw you gotta be kidding. That's a pretty ignorant statement to generalize that genre. The reason why the so called core fanbase can't stand Trivium is that to many they seem like your average metalcore band(especially their first 2 albums). Maybe people can't get into your average In Flames like riffs with poor hardcore vocals and then an extremely melodic soft chorus. The so called trve bands are more than what you mentioned

Now unto the new song(s) itself. I feel that they really matured when they reached the sound of Shogun. I didn't feel like they were an average/generic metalcore band or a wannabe thrash band(though the Crusade is great, I just felt it doesn't show their own sound and they still were looking for and lacked originality). Just the new stuff from them sounds a bit mundane.

')