Another Technical Death Metal Thread - Recommendations?

• Thread starter Vyn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
I've been using the search function to have a look to see if I could find some new stuff to listen to. Few of the threads were quite old and had the usual offenders in them, the history thread was interesting but there wasn't anything really 'new' in it.

To give you an idea, I've had Rivers of Nihil "Where Owls Know My Name" and Archspire "Relentless Mutation" spinning lately as well as Psycroptic, Nile, Beyond Creation (it's just been one massive tech death boner lately). Any cool/new/weird recommendations guys?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cip 123

Reaction score
I've been having fun going back instead of looking for new actually. If you haven't already give stuff like Monstrosity a listen -

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
Weird and Cool:
Augury - The Illusive Golden Age
Sarpanitum - Blessed Be My Brothers
Sutrah - Dunes
Artificial Brain - Infrared Horizon
Inferi - Revenant
Ulcerate - Shrines of Paralysis
Abhorrent - Intransigence

Early 90's Throwback:
Skeletal Remains - Devouring Mortality
Defeated Sanity - Dharmata

Brutal:
Defeated Sanity - Disposal of the Dead
Putridity - Ignominious Atonement
Wormed - Krigshu

Last edited:

TheArsonistsDaughter

Reaction score
+1 on Decrepit Birth and Wormed. Been rocking Krigshu and Exodromos a lot lately.

I'm obsessed with Artificial Brain.

For tech death weirdness check out Gigan. Best song titles ever...

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
For me, recently, I'm all about Slugdge and Defeated Sanity

Also if you like Nile I'd say you should definitely check out Sutrah. It's actually not really so much like Nile, but it has the sort of ... non-western folk music motif?

I fucking do not understand why people (or is it only just you, silver? and you've written it somewhere else also?) keep saying that Defeated Sanity sounds like old school death metal. It maybe, maybe almost sounds like older Cryptopsy. But I feel like at that time in the 90s Cryptopsy was inventing the future of death metal, way ahead of their time. The other day when someone said Dharmata sounded like Death (I think it was still silverabyss lol) I did the full on Jackie Chan meme face.

Last edited:

gunch

Reaction score
For me, recently, I'm all about Slugdge and Defeated Sanity

Also if you like Nile I'd say you should definitely check out Sutrah. It's actually not really so much like Nile, but it has the sort of ... non-western folk music motif?

I fucking do not understand why people (or is it only just you, silver? and you've written it somewhere else also?) keep saying that Defeated Sanity sounds like old school death metal. It maybe, maybe almost sounds like older Cryptopsy. But I feel like at that time in the 90s Cryptopsy was inventing the future of death metal, way ahead of their time. The other day when someone said Dharmata sounded like Death (I think it was still silverabyss lol) I did the full on Jackie Chan meme face.

Iirc Kevin Heiderich said Lille was going for the Cynic 91 demo as a reference point

I don’t understand how you could listen to Dharmata and not immediately get the old Athiest/Cynic/Human vibe

:shrug:

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Iirc Kevin Heiderich said Lille was going for the Cynic 91 demo as a reference point

I don’t understand how you could listen to Dharmata and not immediately get the old Athiest/Cynic/Human vibe

:shrug:

I just figured out where we're having our disconnect :lol: I mistakenly thought that Dharmata was the subtitle of the album Disposal of the Dead, I hadnt realized that you were only talking about the "second half", which as I now realize is just a separate EP but released together with the other one. You're totally right, it's quite obviously incorporating that old school sound.

gunch

Reaction score
I just figured out where we're having our disconnect :lol: I mistakenly thought that Dharmata was the subtitle of the album Disposal of the Dead, I hadnt realized that you were only talking about the "second half", which as I now realize is just a separate EP but released together with the other one. You're totally right, it's quite obviously incorporating that old school sound.

It’s all good dude :yesway:

Grumul

Reaction score
Not really my kind of jams but I guess I have not delved deep enough because there are some really interesting suggestions. The only track that comes to mind that isn't from the usual suspects:

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
')