Anti-baritone - String suggestions for 24.75" scale / B-standard

• Thread starter Fathand
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
Oh, while I'm at it do NOT buy EBs "Not Even Slinky", that 24p is unplayable.

It's genuine garbage, it's easier playing with a 26w than that thing.

FWIW on 6s I use a set of Hybrid Slinkys, throw away the high E (9) and use either a 60 for B or a 62 for A.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
I like 13-59 (10-59 set minus the 10) for BEADF#B on 25.5" scale. D'addario makes a 14-64 set that would work really well on a 24.75" six string for baritone B tuning.

Depending on the tension preference and play style, 13-56, 13-62, or 14-64 are all possibilities.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Djep

Reaction score
I got some Ernie Ball 12-56 strings years on Peavey Vortex V 24,75" in C-tuning and just got the Amott 12-59 set which has nicer g-string. Has been in A# with that 56 gauge. A bit sloppy but you just have to try. I wouldn't go for 13-14 gauge at least not 14.

Last edited:

exo

Reaction score
D’addario Exl158 set is almost perfectly suited for Explorer/LP in B.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
D’addario Exl158 set is almost perfectly suited for Explorer/LP in B.
That's the "baritone light pack" I was talking about before. Honestly, I use this for C standard, but I'm sure it would be a-okay a half step lower. I understand that seeing a low B in the mid-upper 50s is pretty normal for a 25.5" scale guitar (or especially longer), but when you get to the Gibson scale I really feel like 60 is the minimum for anything resembling "normal" string tension. I wish Daddario made a NYXL version of this pack...

To my ears, I feel like a wound 3rd is really important for a detuned guitar. Plain 3rds sound weird when they start getting too thick. I can't explain. BUT, if you ever detune your guitar and find yourself thinking what is up with this 3rd string I highly suggest looking into a wound 3rd.

Last edited:

Fathand

Tube Snake Boogie
Reaction score
A little change in the plan, I decided to put the guitar to C standard in the end. So I got an Ernie Ball 12-54 set which is pretty nice. The plain 24 is a handful, though. I think I'd prefer a 22. Otherwise it's fine.

Chris Bowsman

Nu-Metal Apologist
Contributor
Reaction score
Josh Smith, who’s a killer blues player if you’re unfamiliar, uses 13-58 in standard with a plain 26 G. He makes it work, but otherwise, I agree anything over 20 plain is a nightmare.

After years of the 10-59 D’Addario set, I just switched my B to a 62. WAY better.

Bones43x

Reaction score
I have an Ibanez FR1620 tuned to B with the D’Addario .013-.062 Baritone set. I still feel like the low B is a little floppy, but I’m gonna wait till I get it back from a fret level and setup.

I can’t imagine how loose they’d feel on a 24.75” scale.

Cynicanal

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the Dunlop Heavy Core Heaviest set for this kind of thing (they're what I use on my Kiesel, 25" scale which I keep tuned to B standard). 12-54, but the construction gives the wound strings more tension than those numbers would indicate.

alessandroarzilli

Reaction score
This forum needs new threads, so:
I've got a Dean Z (Explorer) which I want to put in B standard.
Just my two cents: the easiest way to Iplay in B standard is to buy a seven string, or you could have big troubles in setting the trussrod/action correctly.
Otherwise, have you ever tried Blacksmith strings?

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
A little change in the plan, I decided to put the guitar to C standard in the end. So I got an Ernie Ball 12-54 set which is pretty nice. The plain 24 is a handful, though. I think I'd prefer a 22. Otherwise it's fine.

Try the d'addario 11-54.

Fathand

Tube Snake Boogie
Reaction score
Just my two cents: the easiest way to Iplay in B standard is to buy a seven string, or you could have big troubles in setting the trussrod/action correctly.
Otherwise, have you ever tried Blacksmith strings?

So far I haven't got any issues with the action, but the intonation with this TOM-bridge is a bit tricky (the room for adjustment is relatively small). But I won't start tweaking that properly before I decide on the final set.

And the reason I won't get a seven string is that I like the feel of a six-string more. The wider neck throws me off.

Try the d'addario 11-54.

I think I will, this G-string is a bit too much for me.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
You could always change out the third on its own :) It's pretty hard to find the perfectly designed set off the shelf in these mid-heaviness gauges. But 11-54 is certainly better balanced

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
So far I haven't got any issues with the action, but the intonation with this TOM-bridge is a bit tricky (the room for adjustment is relatively small). But I won't start tweaking that properly before I decide on the final set.

And the reason I won't get a seven string is that I like the feel of a six-string more. The wider neck throws me off.

I think I will, this G-string is a bit too much for me.

Just a slight correction on what Budda said. I think he meant the 11-56 set (specifically the EXL117 set) and may have gotten it mixed up with the Ernie Ball 11-54 (which also suffers from a too big plain G,
The 11-56 set has the 0.019 G string, which sounds MUCH nicer.
C standard was a good choice I think, a bit easier to work with at that scale length.
That being said, here's some reading you might find interesting :

https://atomiumamps.tumblr.com/post/69001614337/guitar-setups-making-low-tunings-work-in-short

I saw Rosetta live a few years back and they just crushed it and his guitar and rigin general sounded amazing, zero issues with the short scale length despite what some of the zealots around here on SS.org claim about NEEDING a baritone scale for anything lower than C

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
zero issues with the short scale length despite what some of the zealots around here on SS.org claim about NEEDING a baritone scale for anything lower than C

Yeah, I think it comes down to context. If say 27" is considered fine for F#, then by default a 23" should be fine for A (capo etc..). Thing is, that A is going to have the gauge of and be tonally like an '8th string', rather than a 7th so may not sound how you expect. But certainly, things can be pushed pretty far. Short 6s can be downtuned plenty, they just start to sound like a 7 which may or may not be what you are going for

Edika

Reaction score
I have a 24.75" I tuned to B with a 13-62 set and a wound G. For my playing style it sounded and played flabby. I tuned up to C# and the guitar sounds tight and plays better. The tension is a bit too high but it doesn't go out of tune if I hit the strings a bit hard. Maybe I can try it on C and see how I like it. I wouldn't expect it but I#m actually considering a thicker set or just even a thicker lower B if I downtune again.

gujukal

Reaction score
D'addario 11-56 or 12-60 will work well, depends on how stiff you like it

Fathand

Tube Snake Boogie
Reaction score
Playing around with the tuning continues - dropped the entire guitar down to B with the same set. Feels more natural (to me) tension wise, the G (or the D in this case) is now also nicer to play. I think this tuning and this string set will now stay.

I will have to confess, though, that I cheated and bought a Yamaha AES520-6D baritone as a pair for the Dean. The Yamaha has some super thick set on, but the tension is still manageable, which is weird. I think I'll have to dig out the Caliper gauge to check what they actually are. Otherwise it's a pretty nice guitar from the old Korean factory.

Latest posts