Any accidents with your gear?

• Thread starter Brett89
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron

Reaction score
I stored my live rig which was a marshall half-stack and various pedals at
this recording studio for quite some time, went to get it back and the owner
of the studio had sold everything, i comfronted about it and threatend legal
action, so he gave me free studio time whenever but i havent been back there since, i guess it was partly my fault seeing that it was there for so long and i never came back for it, but i did learn a lesson.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Azyiu

Triad Hitman
Reaction score
The worst accident that ever happened to my gear was... gosh, I really don't want to remember it, but...

Back in 1995 I was on my way home for X'mas (NO LESS) by plane with my first ever electric guitar, a Fernandes made Randy Rhodes-looking flying V. Well, for the first leg of my trip I kept the guitar with me, but I was asked to have it kept in the cargo area for the second leg... I just KNEW something bad was going to happen, but I've got no choice...

My guitar ended up being in THREE frigging pieces when I got home... and did I mention it was my first frigging electric guitar?! :wallbash: No joke, I STILL want to cry when I think about it some 12 years later...

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Only banging a headstock into the ceiling a few times really. I did nearly take my eye out restringing a Roswell Rhoads though. I tightended the high E instead of loosening it and it snapped. Just caught my cheek about 1/2" below my eye. Enough to cut me, but not enough to scar. I've been VERY careful restringing guitars since.

My old band's bassist had a big incident with his gear though. He didn't drive so got a lift with the other guitarist. Unfortunately he drove into the back of our drumer's car. The bass amp shot forward, landed on the bass and virtually severed the headstock.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Only banging a headstock into the ceiling a few times really. I did nearly take my eye out restringing a Roswell Rhoads though. I tightended the high E instead of loosening it and it snapped. Just caught my cheek about 1/2" below my eye. Enough to cut me, but not enough to scar. I've been VERY careful restringing guitars since.

Haha I had the same thing happen to me too! :ugh: I wasn't paying attention to the tuner and definitely went way too high and the string popped right up and caught me in the cheek. :flame: I learned to be super careful about overtightening after that experience. Ouchies.

kevenmo

Reaction score
I think the worst I've done was bang the headstock on the ceiling while take the guitar off. This was probably back in high school but I'm still paranoid about doing that now.

I tend to do that a lot:wallbash:
I`m 6'3", so the guitar doesn`t have a long way to travel.
It`s even worse with my bass, because of the longer neck.

neon_black88

Reaction score
I blew up a ds-1 by using the wrong power adaptor, it made funny noises then emmited black smoke. I promtly took it back to the store I bought it from and told them it never worked in the first place (im a bad boy).

Also I put my v-amp pro on top of my computer tower (i knew something bad was going to happen but I did it anyway) walked away with my guitar still plugged in, it fell and completely crushhhed a glass filled with coke. The v-amp was fine exept for a broken knob, exept strangely the sound dimished very slowly untill eventually it started sounding like farting and makes more pitches than a guitar could possibly have.

For the first week after i bought my schecter I kept hitting the headstock on doorways when I walked through them.

skinhead

Manager / RHLC ©
Reaction score
I had the UV in the hardcase on my bed, but the case was open. Then i jumped into the bed and hit very hard one of the locks of the hardcase, i fucked up that lock with my leg. And my dick hit on the Lo pro, shit, that hurted!

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
i stupidly lent my jem to a ''mate'',who needed a second guitar for a show.i didnt see him till 2 days after the show when he stopped by home to return it to me .he was very nervous and wanted to get out of my place in a hurry.didnt seem odd to me at the time.so another 2 days pass and i finally take my jem out of the case only to find that the head stock was just hanging on and was on even more of an angle than it should have been.not happy jan.:mad: .to make matters worse he had left town for work the day after returning it and wasnt due back for some time.:mad: :mad: .was only after another mate[yes he actually was]came round and told me what had happend then showed me a video of the gig.the dumb fuck[who used my axe]got all fuckd up on beer and god knows what else and climb up onto his rig then jumped of it into the crowd,who must have been thinking YOU IDIOT WE ARE NOT GOING TO CATCH YOU.well use your imagination as to what happend next.:flame: :wallbash: .yea it is a true story,it really did happen.:scream: :rant:

I'd have killed him. Did he buy you a new one? It's the least he could do, seriously. Otherwise death, or small claims court for negligence and damage.

ANd he's a bit of a c**t for not owning up to it in the first place. When i set up a friends guitar it was awkward telling them, but i did pay for it to get fixed properly, new trem post and insert. And THEN it fell out of the soft case he'd given it to me in, and hit the pavement, just as i walked out the shop. Talk about bad luck :(

I've never trusted soft cases since.

i_love_tazzus

Out For Lunch
Reaction score
I've had my Ibanez RG560 fall out of a guitar stand twice... one time, it hit a pole, but not too hard. At least it wasn't too high off the ground, or else, you'd have one pissed dude. This happened around my senior year of high school, in 1994.

And I've snapped one trem arm from that same ax. Luckily, the "crack" that appears around the heel joint of the 560 is just a common paint problem that occurs on some older Ibanez RG's and UV's, and not a real crack.

I don't think I'd ever use a soft case for that guitar, or my RG7321. I don't care if I have to ride the subways of New York City with a hardcase... at least it gives me some exercise.

Eric

Reaction score
I think the worst I've done was bang the headstock on the ceiling while take the guitar off. This was probably back in high school but I'm still paranoid about doing that now.

I had a buddy who took off his RG and his headstock was introduced to the ceiling fan :noplease:

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
i stupidly lent my jem to a ''mate'',who needed a second guitar for a show.i didnt see him till 2 days after the show when he stopped by home to return it to me .he was very nervous and wanted to get out of my place in a hurry.didnt seem odd to me at the time.so another 2 days pass and i finally take my jem out of the case only to find that the head stock was just hanging on and was on even more of an angle than it should have been.not happy jan.:mad:

That man would no longer be my friend. Mistakes are one thing, but come on, man, own up to it and pay for the damage. I can't believe he skipped out on you like that. :noway:

This is why I don't lend out guitars, not even to friends. Too many things can go wrong. Mike is probably the only exception, because I'm in a band with him.

Hexer

Contributor
Reaction score
I have borrowed a guitar from a friend (and ex-bandmate) a few times. I like trying out a different guitar and all, but I didnt really feel well about taking it to shows. I tuned it and got it all ready for using but basically kept it in the case all the time because I'd have hated to fuck it up. only reason I borrowed his 7321 was that I dont have a backup 7 so far. lets just hope my RAN is finished soon, then I'll have 2 7s of my own :)

yea I've banged heastocks into things a quite a few times, too but so far I managed to cause nothing more than a few little chips that are barely noticable

one of our last gig was in a small crowded rehearal-room where there was no real stage so we were on the same level as the audience. you can probably guess what happened: some drunk guys started a moshpit and someone (or two or three or whatever) tripped over my mic-stand, knocked it over and pulled all the cables out of my floor-tuner by stepping on them in mid-song so I had to get down and rewire everything (IN FUCKING MID-SONG!!!) while a friend who was in the first row managed to find my mic and put the stand back up.

another time during rehearsal with my ex-band we (the 2 guitar-players) had the idea of standing in front of each others amps to hear more of each other. my friend (same one I borrowed the 7321 from) stepped on my guitar-cabel and ripped it out of the amp... ripped half of the input-jack out with it, didnt realise it and pushed the other half of the jack back into the amp trying to plug back in:mad: :mad:

my other bandmate got his bass (Warlock 5-string) knocked out of the stand on stage by some other guy and the headstock broke. he and a friend fixed it, but it broke another few times after that. it still works though without big problems, he sold it to our new bassist (because he didnt have a bass of his own....) for 100 bucks or so (he has a Soundgear 6-string and a HK 7-string now)

Rayder

Reaction score
hearing all these horror stories of jacks being ripped out of amps.... lucky i use a wireless unit :)

pyroglyphix

Mostly harmless.
Reaction score
Back in '98, I was restringing my brand new 7620 after I had just cleaned and polished it. Mistake. I had it sitting on my lap, and was sitting in a chair. Well, apparently I had done *too* good a job polishing it, as it just -swoop- fell right off my lap, and pancaked on the concrete floor!

I think I was actually pretty lucky...the damage was minor, only lost some paint. And actually, ever since then, the paint seems to flake off just for looking at it wrong.

Think one of these days I'll refinish it.

Dnasurfer

Reaction score
i had 2 incidents:
*first girl burnt my jem 7vwh along with my car!!!!
*2nd girlfriend, chucked my other jem into a wall and snap'd the neck!!!

the moral of this story, dont tell your missus you love guitar more than them:bowdown:

')