Any Black Metal Fans out there?

Vhyle

Jackson Shill
Reaction score
What are some black metal bands with odd time signatures?

This might not quite be what you're looking for, but the opening riffs and chorus are in 5/4. This particular track isn't as fast-paced as typical black metal, but Mork Gryning was very much a black metal band.

This one is a 3/4 waltz, essentially. Does that count? Regardless, this album is incredible.

The intro riffs on this track could be counted in a 9/8 swing beat, if that makes sense.

Or, you could listen to Emperor's Prometheus album. It has a few odd-time moments here and there.

But your question brings up a good point - there isn't honestly many black metal bands that explore really odd time signatures. But once you start delving into the more jazz-oriented or experimental bands, it becomes a bit more common.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

EmaDaCuz

Brutal yet soulful
Reaction score
Here I am.
Even though my interest shifted to gore and industrial lately, I am a long time black metal fan. I still think that the "old" stuff is better than the "new" stuff. With some exceptions, the newer material is nothing more than a polished remake of oldies with bombastic productions and thick synths/keys or fast-technical death metal.
My favourite bands, anyway. In no particular order.
-Abigor
-Marduk (up to Panzer Division Marduk)
-Dimmu Borgir (first 3 albums and some songs in Spiritual...)
-Emperor (up to IX Equilibrium)
-Dark Funeral (up to Vobiscum Satanas)
-DarkThrone
-Immortal
-Behemoth
-Dissection
-Mayhem
-In Battle

mgh

Betwixt and Between
Reaction score

this one starts off in 4/4 but after a minute or so goes into something a bit more weird...and any excuse to post Ved Buens Ende, right?!

blaaargh

Git Fuuuuuuuuuuucked
Reaction score

this song is in 5/4 for most of the time, with a few parts in 3/4

Vhyle

Jackson Shill
Reaction score
Here I am.
Even though my interest shifted to gore and industrial lately, I am a long time black metal fan. I still think that the "old" stuff is better than the "new" stuff. With some exceptions, the newer material is nothing more than a polished remake of oldies with bombastic productions and thick synths/keys or fast-technical death metal.
My favourite bands, anyway. In no particular order.
-Abigor
-Marduk (up to Panzer Division Marduk)
-Dimmu Borgir (first 3 albums and some songs in Spiritual...)
-Emperor (up to IX Equilibrium)
-Dark Funeral (up to Vobiscum Satanas)
-DarkThrone
-Immortal
-Behemoth
-Dissection
-Mayhem
-In Battle

:hbang:

spn_phoenix_92

The Black Winter
Reaction score
I'm not much for the true purpose & meaning for black metal, but I totally love the sound & style of it. Usually I try to go for instrumental versions of songs, but here's a few I like.

Defi

Reaction score
*raises hand*

I will be checking this thread when I have more energy, as well as posting my own EP in a week or two hopefully. whether or not it's... "black" I don't know, but it was inspired by the likes of DSO, blut aus nord, enslaved, agalloch, nightbringer. Probably my top 5 creators ever.

Immortal is awesome. If anyone hasn't watched abbath's guitar world videos please do.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
*raises hand*

I will be checking this thread when I have more energy, as well as posting my own EP in a week or two hopefully. whether or not it's... "black" I don't know, but it was inspired by the likes of DSO, blut aus nord, enslaved, agalloch, nightbringer. Probably my top 5 creators ever.

Immortal is awesome. If anyone hasn't watched abbath's guitar world videos please do.

They are pretty hilarious. Are Immortal working on a new album anytime soon?

Blood Tempest

Eschaton Mémoire
Contributor
Reaction score
The new Bastard Sapling is incredible:

Track 7, "Lantern at the End of Time," is one of the best songs I've heard in a long time.

neurosis

Reaction score
This thread is so full of win.

I just listened to Leviathan's The Tenth Sublevel of Suicide album again, and I absolutely love that album. It's very powerful and eerie. Sometimes, it's just exactly what I need to hear in that exact moment in time.

What about Striborg, anyone? Another one-man band, and the dude has put out tons of albums. Very low-fi, super creepy ambient stuff. A lot of it is hard to listen to, but once you get past the bizarre production, you learn that the production contributes a lot to the atmosphere in a very strange way.

And I mentioned him before, but here's Alrakis. Ambient atmospheric black metal, written on a space and universe theme. Such great stuff.

I am listening to Alrakis thanks to your post. I love this kind of open stuff. Do you have more recommendations?

Vhyle

Jackson Shill
Reaction score
I am listening to Alrakis thanks to your post. I love this kind of open stuff. Do you have more recommendations?

Hmm, in the vein of Alrakis? Not quite yet. I've been on a quest on finding stuff like that. I would say Xasthur, but I'm sure you already know about them. Alrakis is pretty unique, though.

I'll post up if I find more stuff like this.

On a side note, I just recently discovered ColdWorld, another ambient black metal one-man band. His only album was made back in 2008, and I heard it last night. It's amazing.

Don Vito

Reaction score
Anyone listen to the new Mayhem cd? I think it's probably the best thing theyve done in a while. It reminds me a lot of Keep of Kalessin's EP that has Attila on vocals.
Sounds like Ordo ad Chao, but less damp. The dampness is what made that album good, so idk what I think about the new one yet.

Anyway, I've been digging some Leviathan lately, trying to open up my taste to stuff that isn't drenched in happy melodies. Speaking of happy melodies, Satyricon finally put their old stuff on Spotify for US/North America.

I've always wanted to write black metal, but it's like "okay here's some cool riffs whatever, oh yeah can't do black metal vocals, but my death metal growls sound too much like the guy from Behemoth... okay fine, but now it will sound like half assed Behemoth with more Darkthrone riffs. fml"

Herrick

Hello Mangs
Reaction score
yup, ever since I discovered Emperor at age 15 I've been hooked. Been getting into some of the weirder bm bands recently, like Blut Aus Nord, Deathspell Omega, Oranssi Pazuzu etc. Also dig Twilight, Leviathan, Shining, Paysage d'Hiver, and way too many others. Don't have any bm projects of my own, but my other guitarist is in a sweet band called Heron Sacrifice | Heron

I don't listen to much Black Metal only because I haven't taken the time to delve into the genre. Butt I do like Blut Aus Nord. Ultima Thulee & The Mystical Beast of Rebellion are my favorites.

Jakke

Pretty wisdomous
Reaction score
Huge fan here, mainly of the Swedish stuff with Dissection in the forefront.

Huge Mayhem fan as well, Ordo Ad Chao might be one of the best modern metal albums released in my opinion..

')