Any Boss OC-2 Octave users here? (or any octave)

• Thread starter 7 Strings of Hate
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
hey there guys, the xt live had a great octave on there i dug. it went one octave up and one down i believe. Anyway, i'm wanting a stand alone octave, and the boss OC-2 seems like a good canidate, i think it only goes octaves below, but i dont think its that big of a deal. I saw the oc-3 just came out too.

Anyway, what do you guys think of the oc-2, is it worth the money, does it have good octave effect?
Are there any others you can reccomend?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
i don´t like the line 6 octavers, it jumps around too much between the octaves... i´d rather get that electro harmonix thingy, the little one that only does the two octaves (1 up, 1 down)... or, seeing as i´m tuning lower than hell itself, i´d probably get a bass octaver pedal :p

Dave

Reaction score
The OC-2 works pretty well gives a nice synthy bass sound, it recommends playing high up the neck with your neck pickup with the one rolled down... which I found i needed to get a decent sound off my SG, but seems to work better with my RG2077XL even on the low frets with the bridge pick up... You get the occational glitches with it but nothing too bad usually.

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
ps-5? what did you like about it? what excatly does pitch shifting do? i would assume that octaves would be similar. is that the harmonizer too?

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
ps-5? what did you like about it? what excatly does pitch shifting do? i would assume that octaves would be similar. is that the harmonizer too?

It is the harmonizer, you select the key and interval. It sounds better in the loop of an amp, as opposed to in front of it. You can mix in the harmony level alongside the melody note. This is in my opinion, the only advantage over the whammy pedal.

The Whammy pedal tracks great, but it does not do diatonic (intelligent) pitch shifting.

The PS5 does not do pitch sweeping in real time though, that's why I have one of each.

When I upgrade my PXTL to a PX3L, I'll stick it in the loop instead of in front like I have it now.

psychoticsnoman

Reaction score
Boss OC-2 !!!! :hbang: my woman bought it for me, and its awesome, I haven't tried any others tho so i can't really compare but, i think its worth it

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
i ended up grabbing up a electro-harmonix octave multiplexer, i saw the youtube video and it looks like excatly what i want. i dont want any fuzz, just a clean reproduction at the step down and up octaves, pretty much for single note solo runs.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I have a Whammy II, Oc-2 and A Boss Super (Pitch) Shifter.

The OC-2 tracks the best, but it only does one or two octaves down. The best octaver I've tried was the one built into the Ampeg B5R.

The Whammy II tracks about the same as the original Whammy. Not perfect, but pretty well.

My Super Shifter kind of sucks. I bought it after trying the HR-2 Harmonist, but it doesn't even track as well as the pedal it was supposed to be an improvement on.

But yeah, if you just want one octave down, get the OC-2 or you can make your own with standard components you can buy at Radio Shack or a competitor.

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
i ended up grabbing up a electro-harmonix octave multiplexer, i saw the youtube video and it looks like excatly what i want. i dont want any fuzz, just a clean reproduction at the step down and up octaves, pretty much for single note solo runs.

Thats an epic pedal. I love it.

jllozano

Reaction score
i'd like a pedal that produces an octave down for my baritone guitar, would the boss do that? i need a clean reproduction of the notes that i play as well as fast tracking....does that exist?

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
well, i dont know about the boss, but the E-H multiplexer i just picked up pwns! it tracks quick as fuck, goes an octave up or down, and has a switch that is labeled sub, but when its off you get kind of a fuzzed up octave, and when its on, its clean.
check out youtube for a great demo from the e-h guys

question, typically, should you run an octave infront or in loop?

HammerAndSickle

Guitar Comrade
Reaction score
This one's a little expensive for what it does, but the electroharmonix Micro POG (stands for Polyphonic Octave Generator) is one of the best octavers I've tried (didn't buy it :p). It has three knobs to mix dry (standard frequency), Up, and Down octaves. The best part is, you can turn Dry and Up all down and have one octave down, Dry and Down all the way down and have an octave up, or you can mix all three in a bunch of different combinations. The tracking was excellent from what I saw, played clean through a Fender amp, but it's over $200 (US).

jllozano

Reaction score
i wanna run a distorted guitar trough this,tuned to Bflat,one octave down.....which one is better: boss oc-3 or the electro harmonix multiplexer?:hbang:

by the way i would be playing CHORDS not just single note licks.....

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
well, in my experience at least, octavers arnt going to do chords, they are made for single note runs, i see a bunch of guys on reviews saying that the octave pedal they reviewed sucked, but thing i realize that they dont know what they are talking about because i havnt come across an octaver that actually does chords, and besides, it does its job on the single notes. if you did chords, on a low b, with octave engaged, it would probably max out most if not all amps with bass

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
This one's a little expensive for what it does, but the electroharmonix Micro POG (stands for Polyphonic Octave Generator) is one of the best octavers I've tried (didn't buy it :p). It has three knobs to mix dry (standard frequency), Up, and Down octaves. The best part is, you can turn Dry and Up all down and have one octave down, Dry and Down all the way down and have an octave up, or you can mix all three in a bunch of different combinations. The tracking was excellent from what I saw, played clean through a Fender amp, but it's over $200 (US).

yea, that one looked great, but i just couldnt spend the dough, i was debating if i wanted to even spend the money at all, but for 50 bucks new, i couldnt pass it up

')