Any Brits here?

• Thread starter hairychris
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
That's the softest least Brexit-y Brexit imaginable, right? Two more years where we're in the EU without any say while we negotiate another deal, after which time we can extend the transition period. And all we get is fishing?

Well done Brexit

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Well, the UK governement got two years to say what kind of link they wanted to the EU, with 6 or so possiblities offered (norway style, switzerland style etc). Brits didn't pick any and continued to clamor for bespoke stuff that would give them an advantage over the EU. What you are getting now is the result of this.

I'm very fond of Brits, I work with Brits every day, but to the British governments: good riddance. We have been wondering for decades how to get rid ow Washington's trojan horse and you gave us the opportunity. I can pretty much guarantee you won't make it back in next time you try.
I feel sorry for the people that the UK government are taking down with them but I don't see any better alternative.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I have nothing to add besides Frankie Boyle's depressingly apt description of Borris Johnson, "a cross between an unmade bed and a head injury".
I take back my earlier comments. There are only two things the British Empire has contributed to society of any value; the gin and tonic, and a knack for pithy aphorisms.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I take back my earlier comments. There are only two things the British Empire has contributed to society of any value; the gin and tonic, and a knack for pithy aphorisms.

Silly walks? Chicken Tikka masala?

r33per

Reaction score
Well, it's been a fun week - and it's only Wednesday!

Something straight out of Python to cheer us up:

ImNotAhab

ChronicUnderachiever
Reaction score
This is from an Irish Simpsons Meme page and it unfortunately sums up the state of current British politics.
47685845_2206426222709434_7822019470544601088_n.jpg

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Was really hoping May would lose that, to be honest, and whoever replaced her would have the good sense to call a fresh referendum.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Good. Now we can get back to the important things, like deciding on a leader 2 months before a constitutional crisis.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Ah, I wanted the pound to stay low for forever.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
So it's Brexit basically finished at this point?
I don't think anyone knows at this point.

May and Parliament have ruled out a "no deal" exit, and May's negotiated plan is now dead, too. She's ruling out a second referendum, but it's awfully hard to see what sort of room is left for negotiation to make a deal more palatable to the UK, or what sort of concessions the EU is going to be willing to make that they haven't already made or ruled out.

She's said, prompting comparisons to Churchill's quip on Americans, that they'll always do the right thing, but only after they've tried everything else, that she'll work with opposition groups to draft her next deal, but I think the probability is a little higher than it was that either she gives in and puts the final plan to a referendum where they either remain or take that deal, or Parliament unilaterally acts to overturn their declaration of Article 50 when they're only weeks to days from a deadline with no deal in sight.

That said... Yeah, the whole thing falling apart and spiraling into a no deal exit because the government can't get their shit together is definitely as possibility.

thedonal

Reaction score
What a real sh*t show. Total C*nts in power and a bumbling, misfiring opposition.

I knew the no confidence vote would fail but I'm still gutted about it. If Jeremy Corbyn knew how to play the game a bit- while retaining his moral compass- things might have changed some time ago.

We've got a system that is truly broken and represents the British People in no way whatsoever.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Well, the impression I got was, nobody wanted the vote to pass because nobody wants May's seat at this point in time.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Well, the impression I got was, nobody wanted the vote to pass because nobody wants May's seat at this point in time.
:rofl:

So, non-Brit here... But from the outside I really don't see a path forward where the UK can actually hope to negotiate a better-enough deal with the EU before the end of March that will have enough votes to pass in Parliament. And, with a no-deal Brexit now blocked....

I mean, it seems like this is going to have to end with the UK eventually realizing they have a shitty negotiating position, can't pass a deal, and cobbling together the least-awful Brexit deal they can negotiate and then sending it to a second referendum, except this time instead of "should we stay or should we go" it'll be "should we accept this specific Brexit deal, or should we reverse course and remain in the EU," and once the voting public actually has to consider specific terms rather than an idealized pie-in-the-sky deal, the Brexiters will get voted down, and the UK will remain a full EU member state.

Anyone in the UK want to weigh in - is there something I'm missing?

Chiba666

Reaction score
Does seem that way and I hope so. I'm due to move back to the UK his year when my Government job ends and they send me back but I'm doing what I can not to go back to avoid the shit storm thats approaching. Lets put it this way I'm currently in the med and am pretty much considering going down to the bottom of the world

zappatton2

Reaction score
Does seem that way and I hope so. I'm due to move back to the UK his year when my Government job ends and they send me back but I'm doing what I can not to go back to avoid the shit storm thats approaching. Lets put it this way I'm currently in the med and am pretty much considering going down to the bottom of the world
I've heard it said that New Zealand's a good place to be, post-apocalypse.

_MonSTeR_

Reaction score
:rofl:

Anyone in the UK want to weigh in - is there something I'm missing?

You're missing the overarching stupidity of the British general public! If we're lucky enough to get a second chance at a vote, there'll be enough old folks who haven't anything better to do than turn out to vote in droves and harp on about the "good old days" when Britain ruled the world, combined with a large contingent of benefit scrounging scumbags who think Polish people are"stealing their jobs" when they themselves haven't worked a day in years if at all, meanwhile the younger, better educated folks who understand the importance of the EU and who will have to deal with the next 20 years of utter crap will be screwed over by folks who will be dead by the time the effects of their decision really bite or who are too stupid to know what they've actually done.

Apparently if the reported demographic of the last vote is extrapolated into today's terms though, the UK "should" vote remain if the vote is held today, simply because more young people have come of age and are now eligible to vote and are likely to vote remain, whereas enough old folks, statistically more likely to vote leave, have now died... I just think that leavers will turn out with their dying wish and too many remainers will leave it to someone else to save all our asses...

Not that I'm biased in favour of staying in the EU or anything ;)