Any CCNA/IT Guys Here?

• Thread starter Code001
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Code001

Reaction score
I saw a few threads on this topic when I searched, but was hoping to get a little more information.

Quick background: My degree is pushing me towards a B.S.N., but the pre-reqs are starting to really get to me. Couple that with my interest in college at an all-time low, and you're basically at my state of mind. My hobbies lie towards a few things: Cars, Computers, Guitars

I hate working on cars because something always goes wrong, plus is very labor intensive. You can't do much with a degree in music...so that brings me to my interest in computers. I've been involved in computers since I was 5 years old, surfing comcast on my old, trusty MacSE (which still works, btw. 9600 baud, FTW!). It's a good hobby that I think I can really get into. I took a CCNA course in college just for fun. I didn't have the book, never studied, rarely took notes and passed the course with a B. Everyone always says I should go into computers, too....

I never gave it much thought until now because every time I think of working on someone's computer, I get annoyed. I've done small jobs for people in the past, figuring out virus problems, blah blah blah. It's just boring, but then again, I never really got paid much either. However, if I think about what I'd rather be doing (working with computers vs working as a nurse), I keep moving towards computers.

From what I've been gathering, CISCO seems fairly stable, even if you are forced to only learn how to program CISCO's way. A+ seems to be completely outdated from some of the questions I've seen. I've done pretty much everything there is on computers from desktop publishing, programming, graphic design, website design, spreadsheet accounting, building, networking, etc. but I think I enjoy networking the most out of all of these. Plus, it seems to pay well. I'm pretty confident that I could pass the CCNA test and get out in the field in less than 6 months. Also, I wouldn't stop there. I'd probably get into CCNP/CCSP/CCIP (depends on my interests). Any tips would be immensily appreciated.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I have my CCIE for Routing/Switching, CCSP for Network Security and CCNA for Network Design. While Cisco's IOS is _kind of_ proprietary, in my opinion they're the best certs to get. The base CCNA for networking isn't too difficult, and it a very good resume builder and stepping stone to more advanced network architectures.

The IOS has a lot of commands that are Cisco only, but like anything else if you're working on a Nortel switch (etc) what you'll be doing is the same thing, there's just a slight difference in the commands you'll use to get there. Adding a route or segmenting a vLan is the same thing regardless of which platform you do it on. Cisco's also in the majority of networks you'll lay hands on, so it'll always be a relevant skill to have. It is a common gripe though among network dorks that there's no standardization in the actual CLI.

I wouldn't dive right into the CCNA test though. Pick up a book and cram for a couple of weeks if you don't want to take a class, because just like the Microsoft certifications, the "right" answer is the answer that solves the problem the way Cisco wants you to go about it. It's a pain in the ass.

Go for it though bro. :yesway:

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
You're CCIE? How old are you? :lol: I took a CCNA course in school and aced it, but I havn't taken the cert yet, just because I'm a desktop guy, and it expires in 2 years, so I doubt I'd be working with it, and I can use that voucher for something else.

Code001

Reaction score
I have my CCIE for Routing/Switching, CCSP for Network Security and CCNA for Network Design. While Cisco's IOS is _kind of_ proprietary, in my opinion they're the best certs to get. The base CCNA for networking isn't too difficult, and it a very good resume builder and stepping stone to more advanced network architectures.

The IOS has a lot of commands that are Cisco only, but like anything else if you're working on a Nortel switch (etc) what you'll be doing is the same thing, there's just a slight difference in the commands you'll use to get there. Adding a route or segmenting a vLan is the same thing regardless of which platform you do it on. Cisco's also in the majority of networks you'll lay hands on, so it'll always be a relevant skill to have. It is a common gripe though among network dorks that there's no standardization in the actual CLI.

I wouldn't dive right into the CCNA test though. Pick up a book and cram for a couple of weeks if you don't want to take a class, because just like the Microsoft certifications, the "right" answer is the answer that solves the problem the way Cisco wants you to go about it. It's a pain in the ass.

Go for it though bro. :yesway:

Oh, I'd most certainely be studying. I'd be studying for quite awhile, actually. I wouldn't just go out today and take the test. :lol: I'd probably study up for a few months and go take the test. I hear you about solving problems "the CISCO way," especially with those questions like, "choose 3 out of the 5 ways to xxxxx." Thanks a bunch Chris!

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
I went through the CCNA and NP classes at St Petersburg Cisco Academy, but kind of lost interest after awhile. The lab fees were astronomical. Cisco's got a lot of hoops to jump through, but it's probably as good as any cert you can get. If you like a challenge, it's for you.

Ha, everyone in the tech management program sort of has the impression that the Cisco people are assholes because we think we know everything. ;)

Plus, there are certain days to take the cert that are easier than others. You can look that up and ask people (I think Wednesday morning is good?) Also make sure you put "no experience" when they ask your background on the test. They claim the tests aren't interactive, but a lot of my friends swear that once it hits a weak spot, it will just keep pounding away on it. So, when you see a question on a concept you know, answer the first one wrong, then you should get a whole bunch more questions like that.

huber

Contributor
Reaction score
I took Cisco classes in high school and hated it a ton but I couldn't drop the class so I cheated like a madman :rolleyes: I still have all the answers to the tests. I saved them in a gmail account.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
So, when you see a question on a concept you know, answer the first one wrong, then you should get a whole bunch more questions like that.

I wouldn't recommend getting ANY wrong on purpose. That one question could be the difference between a pass and a fail.

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend getting ANY wrong on purpose. That one question could be the difference between a pass and a fail.

It's just not the way tests work. They're adaptive. There are definite strategies that can be used to improve the chance of passing. There are different question pools... all kinds of stuff.

But, like I said, you need to ask around. Ask instructors. They're usually the best source of info, because they usually retest more than anyone.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I took Cisco classes in high school and hated it a ton but I couldn't drop the class so I cheated like a madman :rolleyes: I still have all the answers to the tests. I saved them in a gmail account.

That's not going to do anyone any good, considering they'll need to actually know the information once they get into the field.

Samer

Dybbuk
Reaction score
I am studying for my CCNA right now,

i want to get my CCNA and then my MCSE

I figure if i have the hardware and software certifications it will be easier to find a job.

Chris, do you know any good books for CCNA or MCSE?

')