Any cheap but good luthiers in UK/EU?

• Thread starter SweepsMT
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Lettsbasses :) Haven't got mine yet but everything I see is solid and the prices are unbelievable. He makes guitars too.

cult

Reaction score
Skervesen or Blackcat are a good choice. For a semi-custom RAN would be a great option as well.
If I had the choice right now, I'd go for a flat top Crusher from RAN.

BouhZik

Reaction score
I've heard some pretty bad stuff about RAN on French forums. Quality going down. price, delays and flaws going up....
I was ready to pull the trigger, but I don't and I'm pretty happy now.

I can link a French thread that I can call "the RAN version of the black friday BRJ thread"... Pretty sad. It starts with hopes and excitement, and at the end it's general désillusion and hanger for Dariuzs.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Cheap but good...

All too often an oxymoronic request I'm afraid. There are a few 'decent for the money' lutheirs around, but I think you need to answer UnderTheSign's question first.

jfrey

Reaction score
I've heard some pretty bad stuff about RAN on French forums. Quality going down. price, delays and flaws going up....
I was ready to pull the trigger, but I don't and I'm pretty happy now.

I can link a French thread that I can call "the RAN version of the black friday BRJ thread"... Pretty sad. It starts with hopes and excitement, and at the end it's general désillusion and hanger for Dariuzs.

any links for that thread?

ihunda

Reaction score
Loic Lepape is a great perfectionist and guitar nut but you have to fancy steel guitars.
2200 gets you a full guitar with schaller hardware and bkp/sp custom pups.

[Loïc Le Pape]

BouhZik

Reaction score

patata

7 heaven
Reaction score
RAN is very cool but with the smallest upgrade he charges 1/3 of the total price more.

crazygtr

Reaction score
I'm shocked that no one has come to tell you the TRUTH, when talking about luthiers and custom builds, you can't have cheap and good at the same time.

capoeiraesp

Reaction score
Well, the OP's question is still somewhat limited. He hasn't even stated if he wants to get a guitar built.

OWHall

young scoundrel
Reaction score
Darren hit the nail on the head there.
Marty Siggery is fantastic, I just got my guitar from him last month and it's amazing. I did have to wait about 2.5 times the original estimate though.
He is a great luthier with extremely competitive prices, based in Sussex I think.

SweepsMT

Reaction score
pretty much after something like that RAN Crusher 8 FT but with an alder body. I have emailed RAN about one, but not sure if to go with him with a few bad things that I've heard of.

Cloudy

Pacific Wood Lab
Reaction score
I imagine if Ran was truely in the gutter like you say it would have probably been spewed all over this forum already (I could always be wrong though as I've never actually played one/bought one :( ).

I've seen a few recentish NGDs with Ran and they all look/sounds top notch.

They're definitely a good bang for your buck from the looks of it.

MetalDaze

Repless in Seattle
Reaction score
One option to consider is getting a cheap production guitar and then modifying it. It gets you a guitar now and lets you spread out the costs by upgrading components as you can afford it.

You may be surprised how well you can get a low end guitar to sound/play if you put a little money into pickups/hardware and some good fret work.

')