Any examples of low C# tunings?

• Thread starter OzoneJunkie
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OzoneJunkie

Reaction score
Anyone have any examples (audio or video) of some low C# (or lower) tunings? Really want to hear what a 9 string sounds like...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Scarpie

Reaction score
meshuggah tune to low D on a few songs. only a half step difference but you get the gist of it. a 9 string doesn't sound any different than an 8. you can tune the F# to C# and play octaved notes REAL EASY. Here a few mesh examples of low D tuning

this spiteful snake
the end of obsodian

but there has to be someone on here who's got a nine in that tuning, for i doubt HIGHLY that i was the first to think it up.

Sorry it's only an 8 but tuned to low C.

dude i am so glad you posted that again. i love this clip!! done real well.

Reaction score
Anyone have any examples (audio or video) of some low C# (or lower) tunings? Really want to hear what a 9 string sounds like...

Ehhh, you mean to tell me, you don't listen to Re-Nothing every day? Spasm is a drop Bb 9 string tuning.

OzoneJunkie

Reaction score
Thanks all.

Actually, have to confess, haven't listened to much Meshuggah. Anyway, haven't even received my Sherman 8 yet, and already GASing little bit for a 10-string (low C#, high A)...

Reaction score
Thanks all.

Actually, have to confess, haven't listened to much Meshuggah. Anyway, haven't even received my Sherman 8 yet, and already GASing little bit for a 10-string (low C#, high A)...

lol, but why would anyone want an 8 string if they don't listen to Meshuggah? :nuts: .......... lol

To be honest, a high E is just about useless, let alone an A! You'll find that it's better to have one guitar as your main lead guitar, and one as your main ERG. And I wouldn't worry too much about a low C just yet, at least not without finding whether or not a low F is or isn't low enough for you. :)

I mean, it's fun to dabble in here and there (I play Spasm on my 8 string every day), but I think F is a nice base. :)

GazPots

Is A Complete Idiot.
Reaction score
I dont listen to Meshuggah and i got an 8 string. :lol: Infact i don't even like the chugfests that many people use their 7/8's for but i'm still in the low F club. :yesway:

I'm of the petrucci 7 sort of style of playing and i thought an 8 would be a cool thing to try out and i loved it. I think anyone who likes 7 string progressive rock/metal would enjoy or at least want to try out an 8 at some point. And as for the high e being useless, its all to do with the context in which you play.

If you are like me and you love low B riffage but keep your top end for masive solos and the ability to still play full and extended chords then an 8 string is just the next step. No 7 string detuning needed either and you still retain any ability to play solos/chords as any 6 stringer will have. Thats a golden ability in my book.

I mean, fair play if you dont like the high e or a orthat on an 8/9 but there are plenty of people who do and there are also a few who think a low F is useless too. I used to think low F was a waste of time. How times change.:lol:

Which brings me to my concluding point, diffferent strokes for different folks. :)

However, its all good so don't mind me. :wavey:

OzoneJunkie

Reaction score
lol, but why would anyone want an 8 string if they don't listen to Meshuggah? :nuts: .......... lol

To be honest, a high E is just about useless, let alone an A! You'll find that it's better to have one guitar as your main lead guitar, and one as your main ERG. And I wouldn't worry too much about a low C just yet, at least not without finding whether or not a low F is or isn't low enough for you. :)

I mean, it's fun to dabble in here and there (I play Spasm on my 8 string every day), but I think F is a nice base. :)

I have been listening to Meshuggah - but only recently. But of what I've heard between them and others here - that's what got me going towards the 8. I do like the low chugga stuff :)

High E is far from useless for me. Plus, with a fanned 8 25.5 to 28 scale, I'm expecting that my future Sherman will still have the high string dynamics as my 6ers and my 7... possibly making them obsolete (with the exception of doing whammy bar gymnastics...)

Reaction score
bu...bu...but....... n.....no shugg? :scratch: :flame:

lol, guys, no I love playing lead on high E, too, but I typically swap out my lead 7 (with .008s!!) when I do that. It's much easier to grip. It's much faster, too. An 8 string neck just feels too fat for me! You can do piano-style stuff, yes, but, for me, I just can't grip the damned thing. What's funny is, I felt that way when I first got my 7; but after I got my 8, the 7 felt almost too thin! lol The perfect lead guitar! :)

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
To be honest, a high E is just about useless, let alone an A!

Haha, are you an actual guitar player? Of course the high E is useful as all fuck or else none of us here would even care about 8 strings. 7 strings would do the trick.

Edit: Nevermind, I read your response. I also remembered that I dig Baritone 6's too hahaha

Reaction score
Haha, are you an actual guitar player? Of course the high E is useful as all fuck or else none of us here would even care about 8 strings. 7 strings would do the trick.

Edit: Nevermind, I read your response. I also remembered that I dig Baritone 6's too hahaha

Not even a 7 would do the trick. Pickups don't work at that frequency, or something. Sounds crap once you hit F. Not to mention scale. Baritone I wouldn't know much about.

My point was, the lead strings on an 8 string guitar are useless. You have one guitar for low end, one for lead. Trying to mix them is a bad idea. For lead, you'd have to give up playability for only a touch of added range. I don't think that's worth it.

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
Not even a 7 would do the trick. Pickups don't work at that frequency, or something. Sounds crap once you hit F. Not to mention scale. Baritone I wouldn't know much about.

My point was, the lead strings on an 8 string guitar are useless. You have one guitar for low end, one for lead. Trying to mix them is a bad idea. For lead, you'd have to give up playability for only a touch of added range. I don't think that's worth it.

If your personal preference is to have separate guitars for rhythm & lead that's a perfectly respectable opinion, but please stop with the nonsense comments about playing both rhythm and lead on the same guitar. Not only is it perfectly reasonable to do so, but it's an absolute necessity if you need to play both roles within the same song in a live performance. I play a 9-string tuned low F to high A and I use every string during our set.

Your post about the Meshuggah song Spasm is right on. If the O.P. is interested in low tuned distorted metal tones then this song is the proof that low Bb and low A can sound great on a 30.5" scale 8-string.

Scarpie

Reaction score
If your personal preference is to have separate guitars for rhythm & lead that's a perfectly respectable opinion, but please stop with the nonsense comments about playing both rhythm and lead on the same guitar. Not only is it perfectly reasonable to do so, but it's an absolute necessity if you need to play both roles within the same song in a live performance. I play a 9-string tuned low F to high A and I use every string during our set.

i love you leo :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::agreed:

My point was, the lead strings on an 8 string guitar are useless. You have one guitar for low end, one for lead. Trying to mix them is a bad idea.

ugh dude what planet are you from? the more you go on about this, the more you reveal how UNeducated you are on the subject. take durero's polite suggestion and quite while you are ahead.

Reaction score
Wow, some of u ppl are borderline braindead or something lol. I play lead on my 8 string all the time. I never said you can't play lead on an 8 string, or even that you shouldn't. The fact of the matter is, you can't SHRED on an 8 like you can on a 6 or even a 7.

Anymore questions? ;)

Gonna check out Spasm tonight when I get home. Bought ObZen this morning :)

That's good to hear :) literally!

I wouldn't listen to Spasm (or anything on the Nothing album, for that matter) unless it's on the BLUE re-release; not the orange one. It was great at the time, but it's so horrible to listen to by today's recording and mixing standards. Re-Nothing sounds sooo good, tho :wavey:

Reaction score
Yeah, I got one, have you heard of Rusty Cooley??

r u kidding me? good for him.

look at how much he's struggling to do simple shreds. and he's hitting all sorts of wrong notes. And I didn't see him grip the neck once.

Any others?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

')