Any experience with custom cabs?

• Thread starter rug
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rug

Reaction score
Has anyone here ever owned or played through some of the custom cabs like Emperor or Atlas? I currently play a Engl Powerball through a Mesa 4x12, and with my sludge side project, I have the volume at 10 just to hear myself over the bassist (yes, I use earplugs :D). Anyway, I've wanted to get a new cab for years, I was totally in love with the Orange cabs, until my bassist showed me Emperor cabs out of Chicago a couple years back.

It's looking like I'll have the money to buy a nice custom cab in January or February, and I've got my eyes on a 6x12 for a little more volume. :hbang:

Living in Minneapolis, I really can't just test out Emperor out of Chicago, or Atlas from Boulder. Anyone played any of these, or other, custom cab companies? I've got a real hard on for the shit that those 2 companies do, but I'd be open to other suggestions. Check out the links here if you want to drool a bit...

Emperor
Atlas Cabinetsis - The Pursuit of Tonal Perfection

I'm probably leaning towards Emperor at the moment...even though they're a little more expensive for the cab, it's easier for me to drive to Chicago than Boulder to save on the shipping costs...and I'd rather spend money on the cab than on shipping. Oh, and my bassist is going to get a matching bass cab as well. We're thinking Red Mahogany with the Wheat grill.:D

http://emperortone.com/cabs/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/emp.cab_.612.212.redmahogwheat.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just adding a couple more speakers isn't going to greatly increase your perceived volume, it will a little, depending on the speakers you use of course, but you're still going to be powering them with the same amount as before. While array (the speakers) is an aspect of volume and being heard, if you don't then add some more power to push those speakers efficiently, you're not going to gain a whole ton of volume, especially if you think that you'll be gaining 50% more volume by adding 50% more speakers.

If you're not being heard there's a few things that might be at play:

1) Your current cab's speakers aren't very efficient.
2) Your amp's EQ needs some tweaking to cut through.
3) Your bassist is using WAY too much gear, or volume.

It could be a combination of all three.

I'd recommend sorting out your EQ, and trying to figure out why you're not being heard. If it's just an issue of your bassist being too loud, then I suggest you talk to him, as someone with live sound experience, I can tell you that sound guys at venues will HATE him, and either not mic him properly, or just say "fuck it" and not mic him at all, because if he's pushing the kind of air needed to completely drown you out on "10", then he'll be causing some series damage to their gear.

If all you want is a cool new cab, having played a few Emperors while living in Chicago last year I can greatly attest to how fucking awesome they are, then both companies will probably make you some great gear. Being custom, you can pretty much tell them what you're looking for and they'll hook you up. If you want some more volume, then there are other avenues worth taking that potentially will give you far better results than just speaker stacking.

rug

Reaction score
Ok, I probably worded it a bit poorly...I can definitely hear myself when playing with the bassist (my volume *is* at 10, after all :D)...and yeah, we are stupidly loud. We haven't played our first show yet, but we've played together a bunch in our regular band, so we know how all that goes...it's just fun as shit to crank everything and rock the fuck out in practice. I'd been GASing for a new cab, originally to do a full stack, but that seemed a bit overkill...and, I didn't want to have a Mesa cab that's all beat to shit right next to a really nice Emperor one, so that was the reason I was going to go with a 6x12 - it's a little louder, my ears are a little closer to the speakers height wise, and I can push the Mesa cab to emergency use only.

It's good to hear about the Emperors...I haven't heard anyone say anything bad about them yet!!

rug

Reaction score
They can put the kickback casters and handles on there, similar to the Ampeg 8x10 cabs. I'm about 95% certain that's the route I'll go, unless I magically find an extra $700 to get a live in road case for it. :D

RichIKE

Warforged
Reaction score
I have played an atlas. They are Amazing. The guy who builds them is actually a friend of mine and guitarist for blackmetal band "velnias" He does amazing work.

teqnick

The only person that liked the new Faceless album
Reaction score
I have nothing but great things to say about Emperor. The cab I have looks fantastic, and soundwise, it's phenomenal. The 2x12 I have seriously delivers, and sounds bigger than my old 4x12. The bass is big, but not boomy- very well defined. The mids and highs all cut well, especially against a mesa that I played it next to. I can only imagine that the quality carries along their whole model range.

deathjazz89

Reaction score
311021_279096058767080_100000000656326_1191479_1430732_n.jpg

:hbang:

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
Emperor... how fucking awesome they are

I have nothing but great things to say about Emperor. The cab I have looks fantastic, and soundwise, it's phenomenal. The 2x12 I have seriously delivers, and sounds bigger than my old 4x12. The bass is big, but not boomy- very well defined. The mids and highs all cut well, especially against a mesa that I played it next to. I can only imagine that the quality carries along their whole model range.

I can also vouch for Emperor being simply the best cabs I've ever used. They have a really great bass, deep and powerful yet articulate. The highs and mids are very present, and it's raunchy as all hell. The constructions is rock solid and it looks simply stunning.
I use a 2x12.
All you should really need is a 4x12. I'm serious. If you want a 6x12 then go ahead. They look monstrous. There won't be too much of a difference in volume though and I think it'd be more trouble than it's worth. A 4x12 would be plenty.
I have nothing but good things to say about Emperor. They're a pleasant bunch to deal with - helpful and informative, and they work quickly too. I'll be looking to them any time I need a new speaker cabinet.

What speakers do you plan on getting?

Also, if you tell them that you and a friend are ordering at the same time you should get a discount. At least that's what I've heard. Worth a shot.

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
I currently play a Engl Powerball through a Mesa 4x12, and with my sludge side project, I have the volume at 10 just to hear myself over the bassist (yes, I use earplugs :D).

:scratch: Without wanting to repeat what the other guy said....why not just turn down your bassist?

I've played through a lot of mesa 4x12's and engls. I was in a band a few years ago with someone with that exact same setup. If you are genuinely serious about having to go to 10, and your bassist is playing at a normal level, then I'd recommend you get your amp looked at. I've never had a powerball past 4 at practise or at a live show. They are VERY loud. No amount of cabinet changes are going to fix what seems to be a selfish bassist or broken gear.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Earplugs or not, just don't even think about playing that loud when you get a gig :lol:

Smallz

Reaction score
Rug is putting to much blame on his bassist (me). My rig sits about half the distance to our drummer and has way less obstruction and it's mostly the drummer's comments about the mix that have fueled his notes from above. I'm not really pushing things though and am just at the point where my SVT breaks up. I don't think Rug has any actual issues hearing himself when he stands in front of his amp. There is probably a ton of tweaking we can do to make things better. We're aware of where we need to be in a live settings and a simply a sludge band that is following a trend of really loud bands (i do know that actual volume application depends entirely on circumstance and that bands that insist on being loud just for loudness sake end up pissing off sound guys more often than they dont.)

Thanks to everyone for the practical suggestions though. They are appreciated but we have been at this for a while now.

I mostly think his comments were just there to justify this crazy expensive cab purchase, which he and I both really want to do. Dig Emperor. We're close enough to Chicago here in Mpls to have witnessed the flood of their cabs being used by every regional heavy band you can think of. They are just absolutely beautiful. I'm looking at a matching 6x12 with the Weber Bass 12s they recommend.

Anyway, hi Rug!

S-O

t(-.-t)
Reaction score
Go for it! haha, I'd say emperor, been to a few shows of sludge rock and metal where they have been used and sound great. And look amazing.

Also, get a Sunn model T head :squint:

:

rug

Reaction score
I could get by with a 4x12, sure, but nothing exceeds like excess.

I wish I could just fast forward to January/February so I can play it NOW.

Latest posts

')