Any free drum programs out there?

Gmork

Reaction score
im hoping to find a free drum program for PC. doesnt have to be anything fancy. its not like im using it for an album or anything. i just want to make simple drum tracks for rough song ideas without spending anything if possible. i would love to have ez drummer/superior/steven slate drums or something but i dont need all of that and cant afford it anyway. thanks for any suggestions folks :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Aymara

Reaction score
One of the best free ones is Sennheiser DrumMic'A ... though it contains only one drum set, it comes with tons of beats of all genres ... search Youtube for reviews.

drumwerks

Reaction score

Sickboy

Reaction score
Hi Guys . I have a question because I'd love to start playing drums, but i have no idea where to start ( besides buying new drumms) .

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Guys . I have a question because I'd love to start playing drums, but i have no idea where to start ( besides buying new drumms) .
Do you know anyone who plays drums?
If so, hang with them and try to get some information.
I started by hanging around with a drummer. Then I took lessons and learned a bunch of rudiments, and went through the book "A Funky Primer".
It mostly depends on where you want to go first. Do you want to play rock songs for a band? Then I'd start with the basics, like how to hold a stick and how to hit a drum and a cymbal properly, then work on patterns with bass and snare and try to work hihats in as a backbeat, then get more advanced patterns once you're bored with the basics.

Sickboy

Reaction score
that;s the problem. I don't have anyone who play drums. I want to start from basics. I never hold sticks in my hand , but I want to give it a shot

Aymara

Reaction score
I never hold sticks in my hand , but I want to give it a shot

First step, buy some sticks and play Rock songs on a pillow by simulating, what the drummer plays on hi-hat and snare. That's how I started at the age of 11. 4 years later, I sat at a drum set for the first time ;)

Next step ... enter a music shop and tell them, you want to buy drums ... that's the chance for a first real experience.

Or try this in the meantime ;)

Take your time and enjoy the journey.

Sickboy

Reaction score
I saw this video. This guy is awesome. I have seen this video so many times. I was thinking about that. It's good idea to start :) Its sounds really good :)

Aymara

Reaction score
I saw this video. This guy is awesome. I have seen this video so many times. I was thinking about that. It's good idea to start :) Its sounds really good :)

It's a good start for your arm technique, which is the first step. Next step is adding simple bass drum techniques. Hand / foot coordination is not easy in the beginning. Over time you need to learn to move arms and feet complete independently from each other.

PS: But for a complete rookie ... the first own sticks will be soooo great. But start with a pillow ... your neighbours will love you ;)

Sickboy

Reaction score
that will be the hardestr part work with foot. Its really hard to synchronize hands with even one foot. I have tried (ages ago) on Band hero :)

Aymara

Reaction score
that will be the hardestr part work with foot.

When talking about detailed foot work, yes, but first thing is keeping beats simple and train on timing. You need to be like a human drum machine, precise. When your timing is consistant, you can start with more complex beats.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I think the first drum beat I tried to tackle was "Who Made Who" by AC/DC. If you can hold a drumstick and you can tap your foot, then you can get the bass and snare pattern down in a minute flat. Bass - Snare - Bass - Snare. Just like a clock going tick - tock - tick - tock. Bass - Snare - Bass - Snare all in rhythm. It's called a "fake beat" and it's in a lot of songs. It's in more songs than any other beat. The tricky part, though, for me, was adding in the hihat going chick - a - chick - a - chick - a - chick - a. Harder hits "chick" and softer hits "a" on the hihat, while you are holding the hihats closed with your foot. Chick - a - chick - a - chick - a - chick - a , like a heart beating. But your goal is to do both at the same time....

chick+bass - a - chick+snare - a - chick+bass - a - chick+snare - a ...repeat and repeat and repeat. Until you've got it and then keep repeating it until you want to bash your head into the snare, then don't, and instead take a break. :lol:

Sickboy

Reaction score
I will keep trying I will start with something simple and we will see. Thank you guys for your tips. I hope it will work for me. I really want to do this :)

Aymara

Reaction score
I really want to do this :)

Get your first sticks and enjoy the journey ... the motivation is already there ;)

Regarding sticks choice it would help, if you have a shop near you, where you can try, which size feels best in your hands.

Sickboy

Reaction score
thank you I will get back to you soon to ask what about first real drums set :)

')