Any interesting strange tunings out there?

Reaction score
I enjoy toying with with things that are out of the ordinary on guitar, just made this account figured ill try to locate some new ideas. My favorites: GGCFAD(used by dimebag darrell on the great southern trend kill) and Drop G# (not using a 7 string) got doubts on gettin replys :wallbash: but may as well give it a go what ya guys got? :squint:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

brootalboo

My boo
Reaction score
My band just wrote a song with CADGBE. Basically standard tuning with the low string dropped 2 steps. Kinda cool!

ry_z

Ikebana Noise Club
Reaction score
C# G# C# E B E

B F# B E B E

Mattias Eklundh's C#sus4 tuning is fun too: C# G# C# F# G# C#

Bigfan

sixstringer
Reaction score
GCGCGCG and CGCGCCG are pretty interesting tunings which I've used in the past. Take away either the lowest or highest G for the equivalent 6-string tuning

Azure

Reaction score
BEDFAE, a lot of range there and I kind of fumbled across it after mixing the tuning Tool used on Parabola, and the tuning used by Opeth on most of Ghost Reveries.

Grolli

Reaction score
As the huge Freak Kitchen/Mattias IA Eklundh fan I am, I find it extremely funny to play around and write stuff in either C#sus4 tuning, as mentioned above, or the Bbm13 tuning (same as C#sus4, but with the low C# dropped to a Bb)! Try 'em out! :agreed:

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
7 string tuned to EBEBEBE (loooow E, requires baritone scale).

GDGDGBE is really nice too.

Edit: oh yeah, standard guitar subforum!

AEAEAE is awesome as hell. Completely open and "unbiased"!

Nile

Giver of the Likes
Reaction score
Do open C but make it into a drop tuning, not sure what it would be, but you would end up doing a regular chord on the E and A strings, or else it would make you do an opposite one, like fretting 4 on E and 2 on A. Would be retarted and idk if it would even work, I'm a noob at tunings.

Reaction score
ADAEGB is what I use. Oddly enough both As are the same pitch and the D is the "low string". I don't deny it makes no sense but it does when I'm playing.

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
GBEGBE is kinda seems cool but i have only tried the up to the low g. kind of interesting. very symmetrical.

')