Any Love for Aesop Rock?

• Thread starter BlackMastodon
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Not exactly guitar related but I thought I'd throw up a thread to see if there's any other fans of his on here, especially since he just put out a new album (which is awesome and a really cool watch if you pay attention to the video, I won't spoil it :cool:):

I only started listening to his music last summer when I started getting into a bit more hip-hop (thank you Run the Jewels). I love how lyrically immense he is, and his music videos are always artistically interesting. Can't stop listening to his work in Hail Mary Mallon, either.

Honestly, I've liked his music more than almost any metal release in the past year or so.

So, anyone else a fan of alternative hip-hop on here? Throw out some suggestions, I'd love to listen to some new stuff.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Yeah, I like Aesop Rock, but I only ever find myself listening to one track called "I've died 1000 deaths" (?) or at least, those words are in the song as a refrain

Here, have you heard Dalek?

Also I know that Death Grips is pretty famous, but their discography has quite a bit of variety and I don't like all of it. So even if you think that you don't like Death Grips, you may still like this track which is one of my favorites!

piggins411

Reaction score
Trying to get more into hip hop. This guy is one my list to look into. Some of my favorite alternative hip hop acts are WHY?, Sage Francis (maybe not alt but still great), and Astronautilis. I'd check those out and see what you think.

mrspacecat

Reaction score
I am a huge fan of alternative hip hop. I’ll post some of my favorites, and I’ll try to not make it too long.
CunninLynguists

If you like Aesop Rock, you will LOVE these guys.

Del the Funky Homosapien (also Deltron 3030)

I just love Del’s lyrical delivery and his flow. I’m pretty pissed that I’ve missed him both times he was playing near me. Really anything Hieroglyphics and Del is guaranteed to be great.

MF Doom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRHyBwNtkLA

A Tribe Called Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIah18jcJko

RIP Phife.

Talib Kweli

Mos Def
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFL0e24GeYg
Def and Kweli have done a lot together, and are great to listen to if you are angry.

Blackstar (collaboration with Kweli and Def)

Earl Sweatshirt

I don’t really like Odd Future at all, but I really like this guy. His new album is also really, really good.

Gang Starr

Then there’s De La Soul, The Pharcyde, Eyedea, Blackstar, Digable Planets etc.. Sorry for the long post guys.

kevdes93

Sassy
Reaction score
Love aesop rock, cool to see him mentioned here. None shall pass is probably my favorite and the new album is amazing too

mrspacecat

Reaction score
I forgot Kool Keith/ Dr. Octagon.

I'll be seeing him in a few weeks. Then Psycroptic and Beyond Creation the week after that. :hbang:

rokket2005

Reaction score
Yeah, Aesop is awesome. I haven't listened to the new one yet but Labor Days, Bazooka Tooth, None Shall Pass, and Skelethon are all great. Hail Mary Mallon with him and Rob Sonic has some really good stuff too, though their albums are more hit and miss than Aes' solo albums.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Oh man, I'm loving the suggestions in this thread. Gonna have lots more to listen to now. :yesway:

zappatton2

Reaction score
Man, I love this thread!! I picked up Aesop's Float back when it came out as a totally blind purchase (I needed variety in my collection and wasn't quite yet internet savvy, so I took the plunge based on the hype stickers). Been addicted ever since, though I do gotta grab the new album. Love the whole album Shining video (though I doubt I'll be watching the whole thing, that's pretty damn cool).

Just got into the Death Grips about a year ago, they're pretty addictive as well. Was kinda ambivalent at first, but now I can't stop listening to them. I'm gonna be watching this thread and checking out suggestions. Been listening to some of the more laid back stuff like J-Live, stuff that reminds me of the hip-hop that was big when I was in high school (Tribe, De La Soul, etc.), and I've really been exploring the super-old stuff like Treacherous 3 and the Funky 4+1, but I haven't been keeping up with the modern alt rap thing, so I'll be checking out pretty much everything posted here :)

EDIT: Oh, and Dr. Octagon, another blind purchase I made back in the day and fell in love with. He kinda reminds me of Deltron 3030, I should take two seconds on Google to see if they're the same dude. Maybe later.

mrspacecat

Reaction score
EDIT: Oh, and Dr. Octagon, another blind purchase I made back in the day and fell in love with. He kinda reminds me of Deltron 3030, I should take two seconds on Google to see if they're the same dude. Maybe later.

Dr. Octagon is a side project of Kool Keith. His spacey vibe is just so trippy. On a related note, I'll be seeing him in a few weeks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlYkKZsXGl0

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
I've been an Aesop Fan since Bazooka Tooth came out, and I have to say that he's probably the only rapper in the history of the genre who gets better with age.

His production has gotten so good, and he has such a pure artistic vision.

His rapping gets better with every album. His flow gets tighter, and his lyrics are always amazing.

The best thing about him is that he doesn't try to chase fans or do anything to follow any kind of trends or appease any critics. He writes about his life and writes stuff that appeals to him. Whether it's a song about his personal demons or about pirates and doughnuts, it's all executed with the same amount of conviction.

The new album is fantastic. I think his lyrics are a lot more streamlined on this album, much more direct.

Definitely a once in a generation type artist.

bloc

tha vagina finda
Reaction score
I tend to like the beats, but I am not a fan of his rhymes. His voice is annoying and I'm not into that abstract-ish brand of hip-hop all that much except for a few choice albums.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
I've been an Aesop Fan since Bazooka Tooth came out, and I have to say that he's probably the only rapper in the history of the genre who gets better with age.

His production has gotten so good, and he has such a pure artistic vision.

His rapping gets better with every album. His flow gets tighter, and his lyrics are always amazing.

The best thing about him is that he doesn't try to chase fans or do anything to follow any kind of trends or appease any critics. He writes about his life and writes stuff that appeals to him. Whether it's a song about his personal demons or about pirates and doughnuts, it's all executed with the same amount of conviction.

The new album is fantastic. I think his lyrics are a lot more streamlined on this album, much more direct.

Definitely a once in a generation type artist.
I agree with all of this. He really does just get better and better. My favourite songs of his are when someone else produces for him but The Impossible Kid is incredible and really shows how much he's improved in producing. I still have to give props to DJ Big Wiz for his beats on Bestiary.

Some of my favourite tunes of his:

@bloc, I can see that, especially with his earlier work re: his voice.

')