Any Martial Arts practicioners?

• Thread starter Daemoniac
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

progmetaldan

Reaction score
Fair enough. What i was doing was a modified version of "Bujinkan" as taught by Hatsumi Sensei. My sensei, Wayne Roy, learnt under him in the late 60's i believe, through to the 80's? Its not "ninjutsu" i dont think, not technically (you know, if you trace back the lineage and so forth :rolleyes:) But that's what he called it, and it was really really handy :D Good for real life application, fitness, and mental health too :yesway:

There's a couple of Bujinkan Ninjutsu places near me, where the instructors trained under Hatsumi Sensei also, I'd like to try it out at some stage in the future, how did you find it?

^ I have a boken from when i did Ninjutsu... i shall challenge you :lol:

:cool: :D

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
It was great. I believe what i was doing was, to an extent, simplified a little, with less of the showy aspects and more simple, efficient moves and so forth. Put it this way though; if it were closer, id still be doing it. Excellent martial art.

progmetaldan

Reaction score
Coolness, I'll have to keep it in mind. So many different Martial Arts to try out, so little time! I'm currently doing Krav Maga (including weapons training based on Doce Pares Eskrima, Escrido & Pangamot) and just starting getting into some Iaijutsu, but eventually I'd like to do both Ninjutsu and Hapkido as well, they both look really interesting! :yesway:

progmetaldan

Reaction score
Has anyone here used Tiger Balm or any other similar products after an intense session of Martial Arts impact, and do they work? My shins get terribly bruised and sore, will using something like that help them strengthen up sooner?

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
Tiger balm = epic win. Its really warm, and it definitely helps soothe your muscles. If its really cold, have a shower, wait until you're completely dry, then put some on. It can be a bit extreme if its too cold, or if you are still wet :yesway:

Reaction score
I have been practicing Krav Maga for 1,5 years now and I actually get scared of my own reflexes some times... It's a really effective system and without a doubt the funniest workout I have ever had.

progmetaldan

Reaction score
I have been practicing Krav Maga for 1,5 years now and I actually get scared of my own reflexes some times... It's a really effective system and without a doubt the funniest workout I have ever had.

Awesome!

Yeah it is a very effective system, and I know what you mean about the reflexes, and I've only been learning a few months! My instructor (who is the IKMF Director for Aus/NZ) was telling about how he was walking down the mall at Christmas time, holding one of those long rolls of wrapping paper which are tightly rolled up, and some guy moved quite quickly into his peripheral vision, and before he realised it, he had almost stabbed it into the guys face... :eek: luckily he was quick enough to realise there was no threat, and stopped himself. Then he started just waving it around randomly as if he was some wierdo trying to shadow spar while he was walking... :lol:

Have you been graded at all? I've got my Practitioner 1 grading in a couple of weeks...

Cadavuh

Bounce The ....
Reaction score
Heres me kicking you in the face and being generally badass

l_ea64d98c6b76ee45727302badd2a0ed6.jpg

I like to yodel as well. This ones pretty old :lol:

l_297a308a9bcfc4222817aff756730657.jpg

Cadavuh

Bounce The ....
Reaction score
:lol: nah read my earlier posts im a capoeirista! I go with a few friends to train acrobatics at gymnastics places sometimes

progmetaldan

Reaction score
haha, its cool I knew that, I was just stirring... :D

If I was gonna do something more acrobatic like, I reckon I'd probably do Wushu, but I don't think my body could handle it, I think I'll stick to small yet efficient movements...

Cadavuh

Bounce The ....
Reaction score
The problem with wushu(and most other asian martial arts imo) is that it is too disciplined and nitpicky on technique and form. There is a set number of moves and variations of those moves which you must do a certain way and its very competitive. Capoeira in the other hand is the total polar opposite, its totally free form. Anything and everything is a move, no matter what you have your own unique and original game. It allows so much more room for creativity and expressing yourself. It is competitive but in a very fun and loving way. The downside is that it takes VERYYYYYY long to get anywhere near good at it because there are so many aspects to it. Theres your basic kicks and movements which takes about a year and a half to get down solid, your florieo(fancy, more ground oriented movements), acrobatics, music(including singing, learning the songs, and playing all the instruments), and most important of all your game which takes years to develope.

progmetaldan

Reaction score
yeah, it looks super impressive, but not for me... But one of my mates does it, and I've a lot of respect for those who do well with it.

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
haha, its cool I knew that, I was just stirring... :D

If I was gonna do something more acrobatic like, I reckon I'd probably do Wushu, but I don't think my body could handle it, I think I'll stick to small yet efficient movements...

My issue too. Im way to un-flexible to do anything like Hapkido or Capoeira, even after years and years of classical dance training my flexibility was still absolute arse. :(

Cadavuh

Bounce The ....
Reaction score
Leg flexibility for kicks just comes with time from training the kicks. Same with lower back and shoulder flexibility for fancy bendy moves which takes a little more time and training.

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Flexibility isn't hard to attain, and its not as limiting as it might seem with regard to arts that would seem to demand high levels - most of them work to some extent without being able to stick your right foot in your left ear.....:)

Dan Inosanto still does Capoeria ahd he's of quite an advanced age - just depends how much training you're prepared to do in order to achieve your goals, and what those goals are.

Cadavuh

Bounce The ....
Reaction score
Also in capoeira you kicks should actually be rather low. If you throw them way high youll just get swept and fall on your ass

progmetaldan

Reaction score
Flexibility isn't hard to attain, and its not as limiting as it might seem with regard to arts that would seem to demand high levels - most of them work to some extent without being able to stick your right foot in your left ear.....:)

Dan Inosanto still does Capoeria ahd he's of quite an advanced age - just depends how much training you're prepared to do in order to achieve your goals, and what those goals are.

Dan Inosanto is awesome. :yesway:

But it's amazing, over the weekend I took it upon myself to practice my sidekicks, and especially my left side, as I just didn't have the coordination or balance to get any power at all, and from a solid hour or so of concentrated practice, both slowly for balance and more quickly to try to get some speed, I found I had a lot more flexibility than I thought, especially once I actually got the mechanics of pivoting etc. correct. It was great, and it was really encouraging to see some significant improvement, its almost as if you just have to actually try, and at home where you don't feel embarrassed when you fall over... :lol:

My legs/hips are feeling it today though...

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Its all about practice, and concentrating on technique - just like a lot of guitar. Once you can perform a technique flawlessly slow, you can work on height, speed and power. Couple of tips with side kicks:

For low kicks, you don't have to chamber all the way as you would with a more traditional Karate (or more especially TKD) approach. The average kneecap takes ~40lbs of pressure to break and even kicks chambered at 45 degrees or so and immediately sent into the target generate that with ease (a firm favourite of Grandmaster Hee Il Cho if you ever see any of his instructional literature).

That said, the way to effective side kicks is through the chamber and controlling the power and height of the kick all comes from there - differentiating it from a roundhouse kick is also essential (Bill Wallance utilises the differences even at his age, and absolutely murdered people in the ring by doing do) as while both are effective, they both serve different needs.

Just don't strain your baby-getter :)

Latest posts

')