Any Martial Arts practicioners?

• Thread starter Daemoniac
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Yeah, its fine to do two at once but Lau Gar (speaking as someone who's done it) whilst fine for sport applications left a lot fo be desired for self defence - depending of course on your Instructor :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah the whole 2 at once thing is fine, as long as either 1. you can seperate yourself easily enough to do the 2 arts (mainly an issue with 'traditional' martial arts) though it isnt too hard, or 2. the martial arts are modern/flexible enough to not have to worry about including other martial art elements in there.

You'll be fine :)

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
Very nice :yesway: I hear massively good things about Brazilian Jiu Jitsu... as you can probably see if you've read the rest of the thread :D

progmetaldan

Reaction score
I just bought a stand with a 5 ft punching/kicking bag on one side and a speed-ball on the other. Should help with the Krav Maga, as well as just my fitness in general...

What I was wondering, is it a good idea to use gloves initially so I don't damage my hands? Is there some sort of glove which will give a bit of protection, but isn't a completely padded boxing glove, as alot of the Krav stuff is open hand technique, and bare-handed...

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
I think there is yeah. Go into any big sporting store (A-Mart All sports would be a good starting place i think) and you should be able to find something. Theres the full boxing gloves, light boxing gloves, and then there are smaler gloves without the complete shaping as well. I think it probably would be a good idea to buy them initially, it always surprises me how hard punching bags are...

progmetaldan

Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I've found as well... :lol:

In my lunch break I just went down to Amart, but they had none, and Rebel Sport, who had some 'Kostya Tszyu' fingerless boxing-gloves which looked like they might be an option, padding over the knuckles and a little bit on the side, but still can easily hit open-handed... I might see if the local Martial Arts supply store (Tan's) has anything like that also...

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
I generally just taped my hands up whilst training on the bag - but a good pair of gloves is far more advisable unless you want hands you can break bricks with (hint: you don't) :)

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Depends if you have a pressing need to break bricks and don't have a chisel and hammer I guess :)

(I value mah hands too much these days, breaking is really hard on your knuckles if you get it right, let alone wrong.....)

progmetaldan

Reaction score
Yeha man, Martial Arts stores are the best place to check first :yesway:

I just discovered there's one just a short walk from my house, and they sell so many awesome weapons as well! Ronin Martial Arts Supplies I think I'm gonna be spending some time there in the future... :D

I generally just taped my hands up whilst training on the bag - but a good pair of gloves is far more advisable unless you want hands you can break bricks with (hint: you don't) :)

haha, no I don't think that would be quite necessary... I'll probably get some fingerless boxing gloves and some tape and experiment with both until we've been taught to strike properly at class. :yesway:

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Aye, that sounds like a far more sensible suggestion - its all too easy to hurt your hands whilst training as it is so definately take care of them :)

progmetaldan

Reaction score
Yeah, especially being into guitar as well, damaged fingers and wrists would be quite a nuisance I'd say...

progmetaldan

Reaction score
Just got back from my most intense Krav Maga session so far. We were doing groundwork, defending yourself on the ground etc. It certainly takes a lot more out of you, and my shins are going to be terribly bruised tomorrow... And invariably when there's 20 pairs of people rolling around kicking and grabbing legs and trying to generally keep their opponent in front of them, collisions are predictable. Hence why I also have a cut and swollen lip/cheek, courtesy of the back of someone elses head...

Yet it was so much fun!

jaxadam

Reaction score
Ground is definitely a lot of endurance.

You'll notice a lot of those pains, i.e. your shins, will start to go away after a while.

progmetaldan

Reaction score
Yeah exactly!

It's strange how refreshing a bit of contact is every now and then... :nuts: :D

Ground is definitely a lot of endurance.

You'll notice a lot of those pains, i.e. your shins, will start to go away after a while.

That's what I figure, its gotta do something for toughening me up, so it'll be definately worthwhile in the long run.

progmetaldan

Reaction score
I went along to the Eskrima (stick fighting/weapons) class after Krav Maga last night, so much fun! Possibly even more fun than the Krav Maga, though not quite as useful perhaps. Anyone else done any Martial arts weapons training?

Latest posts

')