Any metal bands you don't get?

• Thread starter /wrists
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

/wrists

enthusiast
Reaction score
Are there any metal bands that appear to be highly recommended or you see other people who love them and you just can't groove to? This is one of mine. 10-12 years ago or so, I bought their CD at a Secondspin (CD store) and I listened to the album a few times. After spending money on it, I had a personal objective of at least listening to the album a few times before I can make a decision. In any case, I had paid $10 and that was around how much CD's generally costed so I chose this album over another album which meant I had to give it a fair chance. Anyways, after listening to it, I really wanted to like it. The riffs were very metalcore, but I couldn't get with the vocals. Around 3-4 listens at the time, I gave up on the band and the album.

But I like rediscovering music over time and when I age, I find that maybe some of my tastes mature and some of the stuff I liked, I don't anymore. So fast forward five years...I try Shadowsfall again. Listened to the full album, couldn't fucking do it. Still something about the vocals. The rest of the band - amazing. The vocals got me fucked up again.

Fast forward another 10 years, here we are today, I still can't do it.

Anything like this for you guys?

There's a lot of stuff I used to listen to that I outgrew and don't listen to, but I find that to be more common than bands that I continuously don't get.

I think it bothers me because I really give the music a fair shot and I just don't get a certain aspect of it.

EDIT: I thought maybe it was just this album when I was trying to get into it, but the vocals was persistent. That never changed.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

/wrists

enthusiast
Reaction score
Coheed and Cambria.

Whatever In Flames has been for the last 15 years.

Babymetal.

I think In Flames is another one of those ones for me too actually.

I did like their Pendulum collab though.

I think Babymetal might just be fan service or something idk.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Another vote for Coheed. Not my jam son.

Sleep Token: there's things I like about them but I can't get through an entire song.

Sepultura after Max.

Ghost: maybe I haven't given them a fair shake but I can't get over the vocals. It sounds like a wimpy James Hetfield impersonation.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
@evade I kinda get what you mean with Shadows Fall. On paper I should like them but prefer Killswitch Engage.

Reaction score
Ghost for sure.

I would say Periphery and other dental bands but honestly I never hear about them outside of this forum and among gear needs who spend more time obsessing over specs than they do actually playing.

Honestly I'm not really fond of most modern metal. It's squeaky clean, djenty, polished to fuck, and just kinda boring.

John

New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh
Reaction score
Potentially hot take, but Slayer.

Drummers aside (ie- Lombardo made Metallica's Battery much more listenable when he briefly filled in live and that's awesome), the same old atonal guitar solo + riff formula got boring, really quickly.

that short guy

Reaction score
Potentially hot take, but Slayer.

Drummers aside (ie- Lombardo made Metallica's Battery much more listenable when he briefly filled in live and that's awesome), the same old atonal guitar solo + riff formula got boring, really quickly.

Yeah.... I can't stand them. Respect the hell out of them, but can't get into them at all

John

New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh
Reaction score
Nah...Slayer sucks

Fair enough. At times from what I've seen, it's led to some superfluous 'Navy Seal Copypasta'-esque tirades from their more diehard fans among music groups, forums, etc. not unlike this one.

Werecow

Reaction score
Babymetal - Everything about it just seems weird to me, audio and visuals.

Ghost - people still keep calling them metal, but they just sound like bland pop music to me.

Meshuggah - bit of a weird one... i absolutely love their 7-string era, and their 8-string era just bores me. It doesn't help that i don't really like the tone of 8-strings (playing nearly everything on single strings, with a scratchy tone to make it work), but their songs also became a step too repetitive and not enough flow for me.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That would be most metal bands. But specifically bands with scream vocals. Most of them to me just sound terrible, and ruin some pretty badass music under neath.

LostTheTone

Elegant Djentleman
Reaction score
I guess it depends what you mean by 'get' exactly. I find a great many bands to be terrible, but I understand what people enjoy about it. I basically dislike all things that that could be described as 'virutoso' music and techdeath and mathcore, but there's obviously a great deal of skill it just doesn't resonate with me.

The thing that stands out to me as music that I simply don't understand is deathcore. Haven't found a single band I liked. And I specifically don't understand why so many people out on vocalist forums think Bozeman from Whitechapel is good. I just... Do not get it.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Mastadon. I borrowed a few albums of my mates and have seen them live 3 times but I don’t get them at all.

Def Lepard are another one. Saw them live and tried their greatest hits but couldn’t get into a single song.

Blink 182. I loved punk and ska when I was younger but I could never understand everyone’s obsession with Blink 182. I had to listen to them endlessly at my friends houses and on Kerrang but I could never get into them.

LostTheTone

Elegant Djentleman
Reaction score
Blink 182. I loved punk and ska when I was younger but I could never understand everyone’s obsession with Blink 182. I had to listen to them endlessly at my friends houses and on Kerrang but I could never get into them.

I have to second this one, at least to a reasonable degree. Blink 182 seemed to just be popular because their lyrics had a really crude fratboy sense of humor in them. And yeah, that was sometimes funny when I was 14 or so. But then I found the Bloodhound Gang who were funnier and also had a much darker sense of humor. And then the Offspring wrote better songs, and even Sum 41 were more polished and musically literate.

')