Any metal bands you don't get?

• Thread starter /wrists
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Polyphia. The most bland, boring, layering of 6000 perfectly crisp, compressed-as-all-fuck, over-produced nothing I've ever heard. Everything just sound like white noise with sparkles.

Whoops, forgot about Polyphia. Trying to find demos for modern ERG gear sucks because everyone seems to hellbent on trying to copy their style for demos. :lol:

nightflameauto

Reaction score
There are some bands I have trouble wrapping my head around but still enjoy listening to their songs. You know, when the mood strikes that I want to be baffled and mildly annoyed at myself for putting myself through it.

Like Dodechahedron. Or the chaos that is some of the newer avant guard free-form shit where it almost sounds like it used to sound before you and your friends could figure out how to all be playing the same song at the same time, but you somehow still hear a rhythm driving it forward. I'll sit in a dark room and listen to that shit and just be utterly mystified, yet somehow still enjoying it.

And yes, I enjoy self torture.

Edika

Reaction score
There are bands I don't get the appeal and bands that I like but no one else seems to get the appeal lol.

A few examples are Animals As Leaders, Meshuggah and Periphery. I've tried to listen to these bands but never managed to get into them. Great players but they just don't do it for me. At least though I enjoy most songs from Periphery and Meshuggah without getting the almost religious appeal they get. Animal As Leaders I don't think there's a single composition I enjoy. Phenomenal players that their music elicits zero emotional response other than "skip".

Most Black Metal outfits, especially the older stuff. I'm sorry but recording on a tape player in a cavernous cave is not my idea of enjoying music. I know I know it's the sound aesthetics and atmosphere, the statement in short. I just don't get the statement.

jaxadam

Reaction score
megadeth REALLY fucking sucks

WTF.gif

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Tell me this is not true. That is the most hilarious band rename I've ever heard :rofl:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.A.Slayer

I mean, picture it is the early 80's and bands in the USA are really starting to get into metal for the first time. You are starting a metal band. Names like Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath are already taken. You could name your band after the lead singer, like Dokken, but your lead singer's last name is Cronk, and that doesn't sound metal enough. You could name your band Metal+____, like Metallica or Metal Church, but you can't think of anything cool enough. You could go with something foreign sounding, like Pantera or Jag Panzer, but you are in Texas, so there's a possibility of being deported. You could go with something ending in -wolf, like Powerwolf, Beowulf, Leatherwolf, Steppenwolf, etc., but no one in the band is hairy enough to pull that off. So, you're stuck going for something vaguely medieval sounding... Manowar, Warlord, Sacred Rite, Queensrych, etc. Hmm, okay, what's the most generic name of that sort? Something that ties vaguely to knights, violence, dragons, and shit? How about Slayer? Simple, one word, no silly umlauts, only six letters, and it gets the point across. The problem is that there were probably like 40 bands that all had the same damned idea around the same time, so it's up to whomever gets national attention first to claim the name.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Megadeth - great musicians, but all hired guns. Frankly, I think Dave is a great songwriter. But he's sometimes the world's worst guitarist. At best, he's a decent rhythm guitarist and a barely passable vocalist. If Dave ever retires from touring, maybe he'll just hire a rhythm guitar and vocal for Megadeth and keep them touring. They'd probably get bigger than ever. He can keep writing the songs. What do you guys think?

aesthyrian

Reaction score
Yeah Megadeth is pretty shit. They have like 1 1/2 good albums and really only the solos are good. The songs are pretty meh, and even if Mustaine wasn't a compete asshole I'd still be bored of it all and find the music lame. Not much influence taken from them personally.

Give me Slayer any day.

michael_bolton

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Megadeth - great musicians, but all hired guns. Frankly, I think Dave is a great songwriter. But he's sometimes the world's worst guitarist. At best, he's a decent rhythm guitarist and a barely passable vocalist. If Dave ever retires from touring, maybe he'll just hire a rhythm guitar and vocal for Megadeth and keep them touring. They'd probably get bigger than ever. He can keep writing the songs. What do you guys think?

I never got into them too much in the 80s - went into "heavier" territory as new music was coming out in the late 80s that to me kind of shadowed the big 4 except Slayer. Revisiting their earlier stuff now - from Killing to Rust in Peace - very listenable with some gems here and there. After that - mostly meh with some exceptions like the caveman riff off of Symphony.

Also putting things in context - Mustaine was THE thrash dude. There were other important figures ofc but if I have to pick one person with most influence in the early formation of thrash metal - that would be Megadave. So there's defo a "lens of respect" applied there.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
Megadeth had one great album and a collection of decent singles but their new stuff has sucked for almost 30 straight years now. But, their best album is one of the best metal albums ever so they get a pass.

Slayer was always more a lifestyle than a band. They had some good songs and they never "sold out" but that just means they released the same shit over and over and over again and it was all basically just noise.

Instrumental shred djent is the worst shit ever. Intervals was interesting for about 2 seconds when they had a vocalist. The guitarist has one melody he uses not just in every song, but at least once every 8 bars. Horrible. Polyphia has a small bag of tricks too and the worst guitar tone in the history of amplified guitar

/wrists

enthusiast
Reaction score
Polyphia does the same thing - learn just two songs from them and you'll see their bag of tricks is actually pretty small

Polyphia capitalizes on unique chords - I can't hate on Polyphia too much because I slowly developed a liking for them.

nightflameauto

Reaction score
Megadeth up to Rust in Peace was killer. I worshipped at Mustaine's feet almost as much as I did Hetfields as I was learning how to play guitar. Megadeth over the past thirty years or so hasn't offered me much, but that doesn't change their impact on my own music.

You know, these bands that have been around for so long changed. Almost all of them. It happens to people. But folks looking at Slayer and Megadeth in 2021 that didn't live through the eighties won't see the bands we grew up with. They'll see the band as they exist now and wonder why the fuck us old timers like(d) them.

Latest posts

')