Any metal bands you don't get?

• Thread starter /wrists
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mastapimp

Reaction score
Megadeth - great musicians, but all hired guns. Frankly, I think Dave is a great songwriter. But he's sometimes the world's worst guitarist. At best, he's a decent rhythm guitarist and a barely passable vocalist. If Dave ever retires from touring, maybe he'll just hire a rhythm guitar and vocal for Megadeth and keep them touring. They'd probably get bigger than ever. He can keep writing the songs. What do you guys think?
Saying they'd be bigger than ever is a huge leap...I know vocals aren't a strong point and I believe he kind of settled into them and wasn't intending on being the vocalist when he was ousted from Metallica. However, he can write a killer riff, and even a solo, on occasion. In a live setting, he shows his weaknesses as a player, especially when dusting off an old song like "my last words." But he can still hang playing the old stuff from some of the recent videos I've seen. I really liked Dystopia and have high hopes for the new stuff.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
Saying they'd be bigger than ever is a huge leap...I know vocals aren't a strong point and I believe he kind of settled into them and wasn't intending on being the vocalist when he was ousted from Metallica. However, he can write a killer riff, and even a solo, on occasion. In a live setting, he shows his weaknesses as a player, especially when dusting off an old song like "my last words." But he can still hang playing the old stuff from some of the recent videos I've seen. I really liked Dystopia and have high hopes for the new stuff.

Dystopia is the best album they have made since Marty left the band. Kiko raised the bar incredibly high.

Masoo2

Reaction score
Lamb of God - gonna catch some flack but I can't stand Randy Blythe and their music is just as boring as 5FDP but without any of the irony

Between the Buried and Me - riff salad

Revocation - I like Arbiters Of The Apocalypse but that's about it

Ghost - boring buttrock by dudes in lame masks, Portal and Batushka do costumes better

Tool - boring

At The Gates and basically all melo-death/Swedish death - I find this stuff mind-numbingly boring and have never understood the hype. People use certain bands/albums as an example of the signature HM2 sound but man do I think it's awful compared to what newer bands are doing with HM2s. I do dig some Amon Amarth and Entombed on occasion though.

Slipknot - I like a few tracks but I've never understood the hype, they're just okay

Wouldn't say that I don't *get* Gojira, but I don't understand the praise they get. They're okay at best

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.A.Slayer

I mean, picture it is the early 80's and bands in the USA are really starting to get into metal for the first time. You are starting a metal band. Names like Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath are already taken. You could name your band after the lead singer, like Dokken, but your lead singer's last name is Cronk, and that doesn't sound metal enough. You could name your band Metal+____, like Metallica or Metal Church, but you can't think of anything cool enough. You could go with something foreign sounding, like Pantera or Jag Panzer, but you are in Texas, so there's a possibility of being deported. You could go with something ending in -wolf, like Powerwolf, Beowulf, Leatherwolf, Steppenwolf, etc., but no one in the band is hairy enough to pull that off. So, you're stuck going for something vaguely medieval sounding... Manowar, Warlord, Sacred Rite, Queensrych, etc. Hmm, okay, what's the most generic name of that sort? Something that ties vaguely to knights, violence, dragons, and shit? How about Slayer? Simple, one word, no silly umlauts, only six letters, and it gets the point across. The problem is that there were probably like 40 bands that all had the same damned idea around the same time, so it's up to whomever gets national attention first to claim the name.

I mean, I totally get it. It's probably not funny for an american citizen, since you guys have plenty of city names in spanish and see it normal, but I just picture a saint (San Antonio is actually the saint of animals in christian religion) playing thrash metal and is funny AF.

Megadeth would be a sick band if James Hetfield sang for them....

or just no Dave Mustaine. Shit, that'd be sick.

Fixed. :yesway:

xzacx

Reaction score
Despite James pretty objectively being a better singer than Dave, the corniness of his vocals makes me cringe much more.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
Despite James pretty objectively being a better singer than Dave, the corniness of his vocals makes me cringe much more.

a3669b02f99d15026415e2850ce0f942.jpg

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I thought he was the patron saint of lost car keys or something.

It is pretty funny now that you explained it. I live in St. Johnsbury. I have no idea who Saint Johnsbury was or what he is the patron saint of, maybe abandoned sawmills and high cost of living? Maybe I should start a band and call it "Armored Saint Johnsbury?"

chipchappy

thudmaster
Reaction score
They literally do nothing for me. I can listen, without actually hearing it because literally nothing stands out. It's just a drone of noise.

Yeah, same. The Way of All Flesh was mildly interesting, but thats it. I listen to every album to at least try, but its just a continuation of boring, bad, dissonant stuff

Nonapod

Reaction score
Honestly most Metalcore and Deathcore does very little for me. I guess there's several bands that I like that started out as Metalcore but gradually become more melodic (like Sylosis).

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
Lamb of God - gonna catch some flack but I can't stand Randy Blythe and their music is just as boring as 5FDP but without any of the irony

Ghost - boring buttrock by dudes in lame masks, Portal and Batushka do costumes better

Tool - boring

At The Gates and basically all melo-death/Swedish death - I find this stuff mind-numbingly boring and have never understood the hype. People use certain bands/albums as an example of the signature HM2 sound but man do I think it's awful compared to what newer bands are doing with HM2s. I do dig some Amon Amarth and Entombed on occasion though.

Slipknot - I like a few tracks but I've never understood the hype, they're just okay

Wouldn't say that I don't *get* Gojira, but I don't understand the praise they get. They're okay at best

I agree with some of what you said and disagree with some...but most of all its cool you followed the original intent of the thread and stated what you don't get and why instead of just stating "(insert band name) fucking sux!" This is more interesting to read

/wrists

enthusiast
Reaction score

Tool - boring

dark tranquility is amongst one of my favorites

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score

Tool - boring

You know, I thought we were cool until you brought up BTBAM Tool and At the Gates in the same "meh" post. I'm offended, sir. :p

This thread will cause wars.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score

:rofl:

I thought he was the patron saint of lost car keys or something.

It is pretty funny now that you explained it. I live in St. Johnsbury. I have no idea who Saint Johnsbury was or what he is the patron saint of, maybe abandoned sawmills and high cost of living? Maybe I should start a band and call it "Armored Saint Johnsbury?"

I mean, I literally envisioned a twisted version of this as an Slayer album cover :lol:

san-antonio-abate.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

')