Any metal bands you don't get?

• Thread starter /wrists
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score
I don't get what people like all that much about SOAD.

Also, I used to be an absolute superfan of Tool. Literally one of Those Guys™, around the time of Lateralus. But then I turned 16 and had greater and greater difficulty seeing them as being all that special and unique as I was introduced to more and more other bands. So now I can say I both "don't get" the appeal of that particular band, but also that I sort of get it anyway due to having been part of that weirdly cultlike, hero-worshippy community long ago.

couverdure

No Gear Day
Reaction score
Being the closest thing to being a Zoomer (born in 1999) in this thread, I don't think I listen to that much music made before the 90s, and even then the late 90s is considered a sweet spot for me.

I'm not surprised a lot of these bands mentioned in this thread are bands that were formed within the last 25 years, considering the average age here is around 30+.

Robslalaina

Reaction score
Between the buried and me: there's something about the scales and sounds they use that makes their music sound like some theater-of-the-grotesque, 19th-century-freak-show-meets-metal thing that I really, really cannot get into

Steel Panther: too crass to be funny

Also Polyphia, SOAD, Dream Theater because of Rudess and his horrible faux Hammond sounds, and so, so many more. I was born to hate, like a true metal head.

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
An hour ago, I would have leaned towards Mastodon and Gojira. Hadn't really heard much that caught my ear from either. Some of the songs on their new albums are changing that though.

Tool is definitely a band I have never embraced in any way. And if I'm being totally honest, even trying my best, Meshuggah. Even when I find parts that I'm interested in, I always move on quickly and it never sticks.

Nonapod

Reaction score
I'm not surprised a lot of these bands mentioned in this thread are bands that were formed within the last 25 years, considering the average age here is around 30+.

In fairness, I'm an ancient creature who genuinely likes a lot of stuff produced within that 25 year window. My typical Spotify playlist is probably 80% stuff that's come out within the past decade or so by bands filled with members who are often considerably younger than me. Of course I love lots of stuff from the 70s, 80s, and 90s too.

I do find it interesting that so many people evidently dislike or don't connect with Tool. But I've always felt that the big problem with Tool is the fans. For whatever reason, people just seem to get way to excited about that band. Nothing can turn off a person from a band like an annoying fan base.

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
Ghost. It's like yacht rock for people under 30 masquerading as hard rock with black metal aesthetics. Do they have some cool riffs? absolutely, but I just don't get the appeal.

99% of the black metal/old school death metal revival scene = write mediocre music and deliberately make it sound like shit, because that's part of the sonic signature of that timeframe/the fact that most of the guys had garbage to record with. A lot of those pro-revival guys forget that literally everyone of the big bands in those subgenres moved onto clearer/better production as soon as they could.

All the guys doing ridiculous midi shit like HAARP Machine, Charlie Robbins/Dan Griffin, Berried Alive, Polyphia etc. - I have no problem with midi or punching stuff in for recording, but when it becomes your whole schtick, that's where it loses me. Charlie Robbins and Berried Alive in particular irritate me, because they seem like they can play their stuff for real, yet latched on to that awful midi sound for literally everything.

Polyphia can shred like motherfuckers and I really appreciate their skill, but their movement towards basically trap beats with spanks/pops/slaps is boring as fuck compared to their earlier stuff imo (which was at least entertaining/catchy).
Also my feed has become inundated with nerds who spent 30$ watching Tosin explain how to play like Victor Wooten, and then they subsequently sound like a derivation of a derivation. The only guy I've seen doing mildly interesting shit with some of these ideas is Josh from Little Tybee.

FFDP. I am still dumbfounded at how this band has evolved from a mildly interesting buttmetal band into a successful buttmetal dudebro WWE entrance song band. Yet bands like Sevendust (who do the whole buttmetal WWE entrance song schtick infinitely better imo) aren't nearly as popular.

Bring Me the Horizon- They were an awful deathcore band that became an even worse pop band. Out of all the early deathcore bands I thought would fade into the ether, somehow this rotting husk of a band survived.

Volbeat. It's literally if some dutch dudes were fed a steady diet of meth, rockabilly and metallica. I don't understand the appeal at all.

Super angular/dissonant stuff like Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza/Glass Cloud/ Coma Cluster Void or Behold the Arctopus. I have no problem with angular/dissonant music (I quite like Gorguts/Gorod/stravinsky/shostakovich/rachmaninoff) but this stuff is just too far out there for me. It's generally not using the dissonance to create tension and balancing it out with melody, it's more like listening to a guy with brain damage play john cage on guitar for me.

Last edited:

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
An hour ago, I would have leaned towards Mastodon and Gojira. Hadn't really heard much that caught my ear from either. Some of the songs on their new albums are changing that though.

Tool is definitely a band I have never embraced in any way. And if I'm being totally honest, even trying my best, Meshuggah. Even when I find parts that I'm interested in, I always move on quickly and it never sticks.

7 String Meshuggah was more bearable. The songwriting was more memorable and the riffs are more distinct from song to song.

/wrists

enthusiast
Reaction score
Bring Me the Horizon- They were an awful deathcore band that became an even worse pop band. Out of all the early deathcore bands I thought would fade into the ether, somehow this rotting husk of a band survived.

Their first album was deathcore and then they transitioned to posthardcore and now just to cringe.

Polyphia can shred like motherfuckers and I really appreciate their skill, but their movement towards basically trap beats with spanks/pops/slaps is boring as fuck compared to their earlier stuff imo (which was at least entertaining/catchy).

Tim only listens to rap so I guess that's where his inspiration is. I don't consider them a metal band so I didn't really mention them. https://www.metalsucks.net/2019/10/...n-hates-guitar-music-only-listens-to-rap-now/

Kaura

Je suis ketchup
Reaction score
Mastodon. I just don't fucking get them. To me they sound like bluegrass mixed with prog/stoner metal. Yuck. They have like one song that's listenable. Maybe you have to be high af to listen to them.

chipchappy

thudmaster
Reaction score
This was a pretty relevant video lmao

i can't stand dudes like this. It's not helpful, just criticizing bands, condescending them. Especially ripping on what they look like - who cares?

"its 2021 bro why are you doing a chugging riff" aye how bout fuck off theyre just writing music they like?

Maybe I'm just old, but I don't get these youtube channels where people just spend the video talking about what they think of music. Sick opinion bro, whats your music sound like?

michael_bolton

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
i can't stand dudes like this. It's not helpful, just criticizing bands, condescending them. Especially ripping on what they look like - who cares?

"its 2021 bro why are you doing a chugging riff" aye how bout fuck off theyre just writing music they like?

Maybe I'm just old, but I don't get these youtube channels where people just spend the video talking about what they think of music. Sick opinion bro, whats your music sound like?

In this particular case ppl are paying him on Patreon to roast their band's music on youtube lol mostly (I'm assuming) to get their name out there and get some semi-constructive criticism, he has 400k subs. So they are doing this willingly whatever the motivation.

chipchappy

thudmaster
Reaction score
In this particular case ppl are paying him on Patreon to roast their band's music on youtube lol mostly (I'm assuming) to get their name out there and get some semi-constructive criticism, he has 400k subs. So they are doing this willingly whatever the motivation.

Thats even MORE bizarre to me. This guys "hot takes" are like listening to a middle schooler who just discovered dream theater

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
90% of death metal that's came out lately has been dreadfully riffless and boring, even big names haven't wowed. The grimy osdm revival/Incantation-core mainly. Even the Metaportal EP Wormed put out after Krighsu isn't that good. WORMED. I've never heard of Disentomb before their newer album came out but they were much better as a Brutal DM band...

junkyardsamsob

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
  • Linkin Park. Their hardcore fans also make it suck. They act like I ran over their dog or something just because I'm not head over heels after hearing Hybrid Theory and Meteora.
  • Stevie T. I know... not a band. But he deserves to be included, his humor blows chode, who the hell makes their music videos "for children" while sponsoring adam and eve sex toys, and his best work happened from the binance crypto hack shutting down his page for a week.

')