Any metal bands you don't get?

• Thread starter /wrists
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not metal..but I'mma say it anyways. I don't get Skinny Puppy and never will. It sucks that you can't do industrial/synthy style stuff and not hear about them CONSTANTLY. I've read a few reviews of some of my releases and I hear that often and I'm always confused by that.

And since I'm doing non metal. Goth music. It sounds like spooky surf rock usually sung by some guy trying to sound like some weird mix of Dracula and Lurch.
AND WHAT THE FUCK IS SO GREAT ABOUT BAUHAUS? Their shit sounds like shitty unfinished demos that never saw completion. It's fucking terrible.

Sorry..back to metal now. I unfortunately run in those circles and hear this shit often so I had to get it off my chest. I'm actively trying to get away from such scenes.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
Not metal..but I'mma say it anyways. I don't get Skinny Puppy and never will. It sucks that you can't do industrial/synthy style stuff and not hear about them CONSTANTLY. I've read a few reviews of some of my releases and I hear that often and I'm always confused by that.

And since I'm doing non metal. Goth music. It sounds like spooky surf rock usually sung by some guy trying to sound like some weird mix of Dracula and Lurch.
AND WHAT THE FUCK IS SO GREAT ABOUT BAUHAUS? Their shit sounds like shitty unfinished demos that never saw completion. It's fucking terrible.

Sorry..back to metal now. I unfortunately run in those circles and hear this shit often so I had to get it off my chest. I'm actively trying to get away from such scenes.
bauhaus is awful and has always been awful.

rokket2005

Reaction score
^My roommate in college had a huge 6'x'8' poster of Peter Murphy on our wall that he had already put up by the time I moved in. I remember telling him it was like bad Type O Negative. Lots of The Smiths, Bauhaus, LFTR PLLR, and racebannon played in our dorm back in the day.

DiezelMonster

Complainasaurus Rex
Reaction score
Archspire for me, I've listened to a lot of their music, I follow Dean Lamb on youtube and watch a lot of his playthrough videos of their own music, on it's own the guitar playing is obviously great, I could do without his excessive use of pinch harmonics.

For the love of god though, the vocalist?? I get that vocals are another instrument but his delivery is so staccato and trying to fit that many words in a phrase just fucking does nothing for me.

There are some redeeming things but man...

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
So for everyone that says they hate Ghost that is fine...to each his own. But don't say they aren't metal. That just means you have a very limited knowledge of what metal is. For those who follow metal it is probably the biggest tent in music. No they aren't meshuggah...but they are metal. Growing up everyone considered Scorpions metal. And they still are. Listen to the two songs below. They are identical in every way, catchy riff, big chorus poppy hook....and why metal ruled the charts instead of....whatever is there now.

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
i just take it to mean that it means it's a style of metal that they don't like. pretty closed-minded way of viewing things imo. as mentioned earlier, i'm not a megadeth or slayer fan, but they're both undoubtedly metal bands. i just can't stand their vocalists, but that's far from meaning i can't understand why they're categorized as they are.

people are weird, man

mongey

Reaction score
cannibal corpse. I admit some of the riffs are banging, but the whole brutal, gore thing just feels not for me

TheBolivianSniper

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
necrophagist

obscura

djent that's not Meshuggah

emperor

behemoth

anthrax

dream theater

black sabbath

periphery

nevermore/arch enemy

BMFan30

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
other dental bands
iu

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Dental bands?

png-transparent-dental-braces-molar-orthodontics-tooth-orthodontic-archwire-others-angle-dentistry-anatomy-thumbnail.png

?

When I was a teenager, I tried to get into GWAR. They seemed like all the cool kids were talking about them and they seemed like they had an interesting gimmick at the time. They weren't "bad," but I just didn't hear anything that really gripped me.

Years later, I checked out Pain of Salvation, and, again, really talented guys, but the music just didn't resonate with me at all.

Now that I'm pretty much an old man, I don't really discriminate as much. If I get a chance to listen to metal, I'm going to enjoy it. :shrug:

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
Archspire for me, I've listened to a lot of their music, I follow Dean Lamb on youtube and watch a lot of his playthrough videos of their own music, on it's own the guitar playing is obviously great, I could do without his excessive use of pinch harmonics.

For the love of god though, the vocalist?? I get that vocals are another instrument but his delivery is so staccato and trying to fit that many words in a phrase just fucking does nothing for me.

There are some redeeming things but man...

Weird because I think the insanely fast and clear enunciation is the neatest thing about Archspire. The dude can rap/scat to the firing of a machine gun.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
Here's another one:

GG Allin. Having seen live DVD's I could never understand how my friend who tried to get me into his music could think there was anything redeeming about it.

Great call. GG was more interesting as a character than as an artist. You can substitute interesting for disgusting to fit your own personal description.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Weird because I think the insanely fast and clear enunciation is the neatest thing about Archspire. The dude can rap/scat to the firing of a machine gun.

Agreed. Main reason I still listen to them after mostly moving away from techdeath. I don't mean this in a bad way because they are obviously an absolutely fantastic band, but I don't think they would be anything special without him

')