Any metal bands you don't get?

• Thread starter /wrists
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Matt08642

Reaction score
Dillinger Escape Plan
Converge

two highly respected bands that I can’t listen to for more than a minute at a time

The only DEP songs I like are the most decidedly non-DEP songs they have, like One of Us is the Killer and Unretrofied because they don't have much of the typical SCREAAAM SCREAM. SCREAM. SCREAM. SCREEEEAAAMMM!! Staccato Puciato™ delivery.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
Wayyyyyy too many bands to list. And the sad thing about getting older (just turned 51) is that I am finding that many of the bands I discovered later in life (2000-present) I no longer care for. Vocals that I used to enjoy now annoy the shit out of me. Riffs that I once thought were catchy now sound lame and uninspired. I find myself going back to the stuff I started out with, 80's and early 90's heavy metal, thrash and death metal. Also have developed an appreciation for more rock and roll type stuff like Tom Petty and many others.

This is my alt account fam.

kidding but it could be.

BMFan30

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Cannibal Corpse keeps me going. A new album from them is like Christmas.
God damn, me too. I've always been a death metal fan but I've especially been an OSDM fan lately. I just can't get enough of it.

KailM

Reaction score
I don’t understand punk. No disrespect intended— I just don’t get it. I’ve tried many times.

I did see Danzig and Doyl perform Misfits songs one time — that was pretty cool; but it was more about the performance than the actual music.

BMFan30

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don’t understand punk. No disrespect intended— I just don’t get it. I’ve tried many times.

I did see Danzig and Doyl perform Misfits songs one time — that was pretty cool; but it was more about the performance than the actual music.
I actually never understood the hate between punk and metal. You both play the same 5 instruments and manage to keep it interesting going as far as making new genres on top of it as time flies. That's an achievement worthy of celebration.

I've always been a fan of both, especially of hardcore which crosses both styles over.

/wrists

enthusiast
Reaction score

id say like ska (punk) like streetlight manifesto hits the spot pretty good

uh there's also dead kennedys that i like actually too

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Is Disturbed still nu metal? I thought they kinda stopped that with 10,000 Fists.id consider them more dad rock but yeah I'm not a teenager anymore so I don't pay attention to them anymore.

Scooter1969

not a shredder
Reaction score
I actually never understood the hate between punk and metal. You both play the same 5 instruments and manage to keep it interesting going as far as making new genres on top of it as time flies. That's an achievement worthy of celebration.

I've always been a fan of both, especially of hardcore which crosses both styles over.
^this^. I grew up in the 80s punk/hardcore scene and while it's definitely not for everyone, there were some killer bands who knew how to play. IMO metal wouldn't be where it is today without it. Those early HC bands played at almost out of control speeds and were screaming their guts out way before thrash metal hit. The "Big 4" of metal in particular cite punk/HC as a major influence, wearing punk shirts, doing covers of Discharge, Anti Nowhere League, D.R.I., Misfits songs.
I very rarely listen to it anymore, as I'm no longer a pissed off teenager but a 52 year old married guy. Still loved the old days though...

Reaction score
The only DEP songs I like are the most decidedly non-DEP songs they have, like One of Us is the Killer and Unretrofied because they don't have much of the typical SCREAAAM SCREAM. SCREAM. SCREAM. SCREEEEAAAMMM!! Staccato Puciato™ delivery.
Never paid much attention to DEP, but Puciato's solo album Child Soldier: Enemy Of God was easily my favorite album of 2020 AND 2021 cause I still love that shit. DAMN that's a talented man.

Matt08642

Reaction score
Never paid much attention to DEP, but Puciato's solo album Child Soldier: Enemy Of God was easily my favorite album of 2020 AND 2021 cause I still love that shit. DAMN that's a talented man.

I also really liked his Black Queen album

Scooter1969

not a shredder
Reaction score
Mentioned before, but -
Megadeth - Mustaine is just an egomaniac douche. And who grits their teeth while singing? Grumbling douche.
Dream Theater and prog in general - Like listening to a "I play better than you, you suck" self-indulgent guitar teacher.
System Of A Down - Opera singer vocals over average music.
Anything Nu Metal - I hate rap. Nu Metal music is samey and derivative. White dudes dressing up like gang bangers and using hip hop gestures.....yechhh....
Not metal, but Guns & Roses - Axl Rose is a wife-beating piece of human garbage, and his vocals sound like Katherine Hepburn after hitting the crack pipe.

michael_bolton

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Never been too much of a Misfits fan. Exploited and Dead Kennedys are my punk go-tos.
Cro-Mags - The Age of Quarrel is a bit on the cross-over side of things eps drums-wise, whatever it is it fn rules :)

BMFan30

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Blaze up on a beach in the tropics, you'll get it then.
Sorry I was a bit drunk last night totally misread you lmao, I thought you were saying you didn't get ska.

^this^. I grew up in the 80s punk/hardcore scene and while it's definitely not for everyone, there were some killer bands who knew how to play. IMO metal wouldn't be where it is today without it. Those early HC bands played at almost out of control speeds and were screaming their guts out way before thrash metal hit. The "Big 4" of metal in particular cite punk/HC as a major influence, wearing punk shirts, doing covers of Discharge, Anti Nowhere League, D.R.I., Misfits songs.
I very rarely listen to it anymore, as I'm no longer a pissed off teenager but a 52 year old married guy. Still loved the old days though...
Hell yeah, I was always confused about their rivalry when I thought they would be stronger if they joined forces. The aggression of punk and weight of metal is undefeated in hardcore. Both genres are born out of being outcasts of everything else so I never knew why they were against each other too when they have the same roots.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score

uh there's also dead kennedys that i like actually too
Streetlight is one of my fav bands of all time, fucking amazing.

Latest posts

')