Any metal bands you don't get?

• Thread starter /wrists
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Visually, I never saw a photo or video of Kiss until I was in my teens. So all my knowledge of kiss until then was hear say from neighbor kids dads. So the whole hype up of "fires and explosions during live concerts" and the "lead singer has blood dripping from his mouth" etc was all I heard of them for years until we finally got internet and cable where I lived in my late childhood, early teens. So needless to say when I first heard and saw Kiss for the first time I felt like Raphie from a Christmas Story when he finds out the whole Orphan Annie decoder message is a Ovaltine advertisement, "Son of a bitch."
Ghost is more like Mercyful Fate for accountants. Modern KISS is ICP.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Actually just realized there is way, waaaaaay, WAYYYYYY more metal that I hate than I love. I think its most bands I dont get and a select few bands that have absolutely enveloped my musical personality.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Actually just realized there is way, waaaaaay, WAYYYYYY more metal that I hate than I love. I think its most bands I dont get and a select few bands that have absolutely enveloped my musical personality.
I agree to some extent, but there is a lot of metal for a lot of different types of people. In a way, I understand ICP more than I do a lot of metal bands. I get why ICP has a decent sized fan base. What I don't understand, though, is their weird fan base. To be clear though, I enjoy people watching, and I'd love to attend Gathering of the Juggalos to people watch. It would be enlightening. Lol

Reaction score
I don't get Animals As Leaders..their live show is boring as shit. It's like being invited to your boyfriend's band practice and you're just sitting there awkwardly watching dudes play.
The only saving grace is Tosin Abasi because he's fine as fuck. I'd watch him for an hour...but preferably without the guitar.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score

I agree to some extent, but there is a lot of metal for a lot of different types of people. In a way, I understand ICP more than I do a lot of metal bands. I get why ICP has a decent sized fan base. What I don't understand, though, is their weird fan base. To be clear though, I enjoy people watching, and I'd love to attend Gathering of the Juggalos to people watch. It would be enlightening. Lol

I think y'all over over-estimating how much you actually "hate" vs. simply don't pay attention to because they don't interest you. I find Slayer to be the worst of the main bands you think of when the term "thrash metal" comes up, but would I say I hate them? No, I simply just don't pay attention to them. Hating to me looks like the god damn thread that was made with a bunch of bullet points about them, going out of your way to slander it.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I think y'all over over-estimating how much you actually "hate" vs. simply don't pay attention to because they don't interest you. I find Slayer to be the worst of the main bands you think of when the term "thrash metal" comes up, but would I say I hate them? No, I simply just don't pay attention to them. Hating to me looks like the god damn thread that was made with a bunch of bullet points about them, going out of your way to slander it.
Yeah youre right, hate isnt the word.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score

Indeed. Outside of a few very very niched sounds that make metal my favourite genre, it's easily my least favourite genre that I can think of right now

BusinessMan

Reaction score
Spirit box, jinjer.

Edit: Another one would be code orange. They seem to have gotten popular solely because they have a female guitarist and were, from what I saw, considered deathcore at one point in time.

Last edited:

syzygy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Spirit box, jinjer.
Especially Spiritbox. I don't know why, either, because they have a ton of elements I should enjoy (good singer, bouncy down-tuned riffs, tight drumming) but they come together to form something that's the difference of all their parts. I liked their single "Rule of Nines" and some specific parts off of their debut album, but for the most part, Spiritbox seems pretty bland to me.

feilong29

Reaction score
Reading through this thread from the beginning and someone mentioned Def Leppard...whut? Lol, I am on a Def Leppard kick, but all things Hair/Glam metal is my jam. Now, with that being said, I don't like the newer Winger and Ratt. Ratt was excellent in the 80s but their vocalist just kills it for me with their latest stuff. His voice was perfect when he was younger, but him trying to have that high, raspy voice now, along with downtuned guitars (which I understand--gotta adapt the guitars to suit your voice) is a drag for me. Heavier, but just not as catchy as their old stuff. It is almost as if Ratt/Winger started listening to Anthem (JP) because I listen to some of their latest songs/solos and it screams melodic rock in the vein of Akio Shimizu--and Anthem/Akio have just been stellar at any point in their musical careers.

Another mentioned Ghost--I heard Ghost on the radio the other day and there are some elements that I like. Whimsical solos and some neat riffs, but I don't get the draw overall. Visually they have a "shock" factor I suppose.

Messhugah--not sure what the draw is there. 8-string gallops on the low E string gets tiresome after a while. It's hard as hell to get a good tone out of an 8-string as it is, so I definitely love and respect AAL for their use of that entire range. BUT, AAL can get old real fast too. I appreciate the technicality and sheer innovation that Tosin and Javier brought to the world of music and metal, though.

Korn--I guess they had a return? I remember Korn and Link Park were the epitome of Nu-Metal and AMV, and I guess raw--emotionally--at the time, but I was not impressed with Korn's latest release. Wasn't anything ground-breaking. Might as well revive Limp Bizkit for that matter, lol. Some bands should just bow-out and enjoy their fame during their time a decade or two ago, but I am nobody :p

Mastodon--Another band with interesting visuals, but their music was slow, and moody--almost depressing to listen to.

Bon Jovi--Nothing bothers me more when I'm listening to a good 80s metal set and some damn Bon Jovi comes on...da hell? The height of Guitar Hero and Rockband just destroyed any chance for Bon Jovi to age gracefully for me, that, and it's overplayed on Sirius.

Periphery--If they did instrumental albums, I would love them a lot more, but the vocalist sounds whiney to me. Someone else mentioned Shadows Fall and their vocalist--same for me. Love the riffs but the vocals wear on the ears after a while.

Anywho, I've killed enough time at work, lol. If you took the time to read this, thanks for your attention for a bit :D

')