Any metal bands you don't get?

• Thread starter /wrists
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

xzacx

Reaction score
haha nope. In Flames is one of my fav metal bands of all time. But it’s Clayman to Sound of a Playground Fading for me. There are some really good songs IMO on Siren Charms, Battles, and I the Mask but the albums aren’t that great overall.

YNMV

My fav song (and video):

I was obviously joking but I do feel like it's almost always the opposite opinion I see. I definitely like the older era better (I can't do the clean vocals in the newer stuff) but prefer Dark Tranquility when it comes to Gotherburg melodeath.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
but not a fan of djent either

Same here, honestly can't stand it and don't get how it ever caught on. To me all it is is "Play a choppy staccato rhythm briefly then do a quick contrasting mode on the high strings and repeat but do a different mode next run". No offense to those that like it, just how I view it.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
My obvious answers are well covered here (Meshuggah, Slayer, Pantera, djent, especially clean coffee shop djent) so I'll try for some deep cuts.

Not metal, but St. Vincent is someone who I respect the fuck out of as a player but find almost all of her music impenetrable. I wouldn't even say it's bad, it's cool and weird and relentlessly original and I guess I just don't get it.

Dredg are a band who ticked all of the Mars Volta/Tool-adjacent boxes when I was a teen, but never jived with me for whatever reason. I revisit them every couple years and come up with the same conclusion that "I don't dig this and I can't figure out why."

At The Drive In is a band I didn't get for many years but am starting to really get into.

Also arena/glam/hair metal, what the fuck? I can't understand most 80s metal bands, almost all of them sound like less-rad versions of Iron Maiden to me. Add to the fact that they all have thinly-veiled penchants for fucking young girls and that's a hard no from me.

images

Oh also, Nails is FFDP for dudes with Richard Spencer haircuts, full sleeve tats and cropped Levis 511s.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
I was obviously joking but I do feel like it's almost always the opposite opinion I see. I definitely like the older era better (I can't do the clean vocals in the newer stuff) but prefer Dark Tranquility when it comes to Gotherburg melodeath.

Haha no I get it. I always get the wait what you mean the other way around regarding pre or post Clayman being their best lol.

I even love all of the similar bands such as Soilwork (my fav), Cipher System, Sonic syndicate, dEmotional, and Rise to Fall. And all of the Bjorn Strid projects such as I Legion and Disarmonia Mundi.

I guess I was late to the genre so the clean and growls thing is not played out for me.

feilong29

Reaction score
Tool: I never got the hype. I've tried to listen to them but just don't get the appeal. If it comes to prog rock (is that what they are considered), I would rather listen to DT or something. For the most part they are a very slow-tempo band and I suppose slow(er) stuff doesn't do it for me in general.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Tool is one of the only bands on planet earth that I feel their music was "written for me". Even in the simplest riffs and simplest arrangements, I get a rush that no other band has ever given me, outside of Colors by BTBAM, which had a TON of tool influence.

feilong29

Reaction score
Tool is one of the only bands on planet earth that I feel their music was "written for me". Even in the simplest riffs and simplest arrangements, I get a rush that no other band has ever given me, outside of Colors by BTBAM, which had a TON of tool influence.

Do you have a song that you can share?

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Do you have a song that you can share?
From tool or from BTBAM? For tool, I suggest starting at Lateralus, as its about as "tool" as you can get. From BTBAM, really anything from colors is amazing, but my favorite from the album is Viridian moving into White Walls.

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
Grunge and in particular Nirvana. Alice in Chains is the only Grunge band I liked (love actually) but I wouldn't class them as Grunge anyway

Also totally agree with Tool

feilong29

Reaction score
From tool or from BTBAM? For tool, I suggest starting at Lateralus, as its about as "tool" as you can get. From BTBAM, really anything from colors is amazing, but my favorite from the album is Viridian moving into White Walls.

Alright, I just finished listening to Lateralus. Thanks for that! I actually liked that song. A better representation than the other suggestions I've been given.

As for BTBAM, I remember a song they released probably a decade ago that had some cool sweeps in it, but other than that, didn't really get into them. I wasn't crazy about Job For a Cowboy, but man...their vocalist sounds amazing live!

BusinessMan

Reaction score
Tool: I never got the hype. I've tried to listen to them but just don't get the appeal. If it comes to prog rock (is that what they are considered), I would rather listen to DT or something. For the most part they are a very slow-tempo band and I suppose slow(er) stuff doesn't do it for me in general.

Same here. I like maybe 2 songs and other than that all their songs sound exactly the same.

Slayer I can understand, not for everyone (I like some of their stuff) and it was fun losing your mind screaming SLAAAAAAYYYYEEERRRRRR at the top of my lungs at their shows.

Latest posts

')