Any Moderately Priced High Gain Distortion Pedal Recommendations?

• Thread starter metalheadblues
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

metalheadblues

Reaction score
Looking for a pedal i could use with a clean fender amp that'll get me into djent , metalcore , hardcore , death metal territory . Any recommendations? I play a 7 string in drop G tuning btw , want something modern sounding with tightness

So far I've narrowed it down to

Mxr fullbore metal
Ehx metal muff
Boss metal core
Joyo extreme metal

Budget is around 120 for now. Thanks

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
AMT P2 Drive mini. Has a modern or regular voice setting.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Nice. I saw those. You know what they are a copy off by chance?
Rigel: KSR Ceres. Super tight and modern, but not the highest-gain pedal and the bass is super lean.
Chopper Z: Apex Preamp. Which I think is based on the MXR 5150 Overdrive. It def reminds me of 5150 flavor of sorts. Not too loose, but not too tight.
The Chopper Z can be used as a distortion pedal in front of the amp when set to Pre Amp. The Rigel can't be used in front of an amp at all I believe. Power amp only.

metalheadblues

Reaction score
Rigel: KSR Ceres. Super tight and modern, but not the highest-gain pedal and the bass is super lean.
Chopper Z: Apex Preamp. Which I think is based on the MXR 5150 Overdrive. It def reminds me of 5150 flavor of sorts. Not too loose, but not too tight.
The Chopper Z can be used as a distortion pedal in front of the amp when set to Pre Amp. The Rigel can't be used in front of an amp at all I believe. Power amp only.
Thank you. Saw those but didn't see much info for what they were copied from.

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
What model of Fender amp? Does it have an FX loop?

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
Full bore seems like it needs as yet known secret setting to get to sound like you want to use it a 2nd time.

metalheadblues

Reaction score
Full bore seems like it needs as yet known secret setting to get to sound like you want to use it a 2nd time.
Yeah was really close to pulling the trigger on it but it could sound a bit fizzy or like bees from the videos I've seen. Plenty gain tho and i like the built in gate.

metalheadblues

Reaction score
Guess the zoom g1x for multi effects is in the same price range. Something to consider or better to get pedals?

Going after an alpha wolf type tone , won't mind getting the g1x cuz of its whammy pedal feature.

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It’s a mustang iii v2 100 watt 1x12 and yes it has an effects loop. It’s a modeler so it has inbuilt amps and pedals but its just shy of that tight high gain modern sound I'm after.

Maybe a boost pedal will get you over the edge into that territory with the built in high gain models? Perhaps something like a Horizon Precision Drive clone like the Joyo Argos? They are ~$40 bucks, has a gate and has the “attack” setting that helps tighten stuff up if downtuned and clanky is your thing.

Even if you get one of these distortion/preamp pedals a pedal like the Argos might be something you can stack with it depending on your tastes.

Edit: this is all on the presumption that your modeling amp takes boost pedals well.

Last edited:

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Another vote here for Joyo's Dark Flame (if you like Revv g4) in front of a clean preset (it's a distortion pedal not preamp). If you get a joyo rigel, connect it to the fx return of the amp (it's a preamp).

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
Do something different like stacking Klones and TS style pedals. Rebea has a good video on it

Roadsterjosh

Reaction score
I really like the BE-OD personally, and I am pretty sure the Joyo Uzi is a clone of that. If you're open to buying used you can probably find a BE within your budget also.

metalheadblues

Reaction score
Maybe a boost pedal will get you over the edge into that territory with the built in high gain models? Perhaps something like a Horizon Precision Drive clone like the Joyo Argos? They are ~$40 bucks, has a gate and has the “attack” setting that helps tighten stuff up if downtuned and clanky is your thing.

Even if you get one of these distortion/preamp pedals a pedal like the Argos might be something you can stack with it depending on your tastes.

Edit: this is all on the presumption that your modeling amp takes boost pedals well.
Yeah its definitely a contender at $40.

JimboLodisC

black Ibanez plz
Reaction score
save up a bit more money and get a Solar CHUG, it's my favorite OD/boost/preamp pedal right now, worth every penny, add a TS9 to the chain and it's even nastier

I don't use my BOSS Metal Core because my Metal Zone is better, but the CHUG is better than the Metal Zone, my Abasi Pathos is too bass heavy for my taste

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've been proposed in a similar thread of the Hotone Djent pedal, although I haven't located one to try out...

')