Any non-'djent' 8-stringers?

• Thread starter Dehumanize
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Yes their first album is definitely metalcore and I understand that they don't strictly 'djent', but their new stuff (to me at least :shrug:) sounds like it has a lot of elements that are common in 'djent' (god I hate that word :noplease:). Anyway, I shouldn't have involved myself haha, my bad!

Ha ha no its cool man! I mean if he did that stuff all the time I'd be more tempted to agree with you, but his overall style with DH it too death metal to be djenty.

I use the low F in my band for Chords only, i don't chug on it at all. Works really well for making things sound 'big'.

You get massive sustain from it.

Ah fair dooze, I'd like to hear some of your stuff, I've not heard anyone get a good sound out of distorted chords on an 8 string. Even Meshuggah do it and it sounds muddy, and they're tight as fuck.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheMasterplan

Creator//Destroyer
Reaction score
There's a guy on here I was following for a while who writes positively sick clean instrumental music on a Schecter C-8 Blackjack ATX:

YouTube - 8 String Guitar Tapping - Delay - Original Song - Matthew McGhee

YouTube - 8 String Guitar Tapping - Inception - Original Song - Matthew McGhee

I stopped following it cause school and work really caught up with me, but I'm gonna dive back in because I really love the feel of his compositions. His channel is YouTube - StupidHatMatt's Channel\

edit: The one time embeds aren't working for me :/

Rashputin

Reaction score
Animals as Leaders

Yeah, I actully agree with this one. I wouldn't call this album that djenty even though Bulb co-produced and co-wrote it. There is some really nice clean stuff and some jazzy fusion stuff on this album. My fav record at the moment.

btsdaniel

Reaction score
Ha ha no its cool man! I mean if he did that stuff all the time I'd be more tempted to agree with you, but his overall style with DH it too death metal to be cjenty.

Ah fair dooze, I'd like to hear some of your stuff, I've not heard anyone get a good sound out of distorted chords on an 8 string. Even Meshuggah do it and it sounds muddy, and they're tight as fuck.

check this out from 3:30 onwards

We're a weird post rock/hardcore type thing so no djent what so ever!

All on the low F.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
check this out from 3:30 onwards

We're a weird post rock/hardcore type thing so no djent what so ever!

All on the low F.

I would never have guessed that was a low F, sounds great! I've heard of you guys before but never knew you used 8 strings. And you're from Essex too, where abouts?

JPhoenix19

Playing life by ear
Reaction score
every time i consider switching back to a 7-string, I come to this thread and I want to keep my 8! :lol:

DANZA VIDEO!!

I wish I could play with that level of tight precision and agility. I guess I'll get there.

btsdaniel

Reaction score
I would never have guessed that was a low F, sounds great! I've heard of you guys before but never knew you used 8 strings. And you're from Essex too, where abouts?

We're from sunny Southend!

yeah man, It sounds nice and clear. The album actually wasn't as 'dirty' as i wanted, guitars sound a little thin in places but thats down to the way its been mixed.

I've never had a problem getting a great chord tone out of tuning to F, i've recorded all the BTS stuff like that, and its almost 100% chords.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
We're from sunny Southend!

yeah man, It sounds nice and clear. The album actually wasn't as 'dirty' as i wanted, guitars sound a little thin in places but thats down to the way its been mixed.

I've never had a problem getting a great chord tone out of tuning to F, i've recorded all the BTS stuff like that, and its almost 100% chords.

Ah cool :) Yeah I find they work fine for clean stuff, but distorted chords tend to sound too loose. Maybe I need to experiment more when I get an 8 string.

Have you ever toured/gigged with a band called Vidina?

btsdaniel

Reaction score
Ah cool :) Yeah I find they work fine for clean stuff, but distorted chords tend to sound too loose. Maybe I need to experiment more when I get an 8 string.

Have you ever toured/gigged with a band called Vidina?

I've heard the name... death kinda stuff yeah?

Never played with them though, no.

That song was actually recorded with a Peavey JSX and a 7 string rather than an 8. Was actually an ltd sc207 ha! So its not even got great gear on it.

I've upgraded a fair bit since then.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
I've heard the name... death kinda stuff yeah?

Never played with them though, no.

That song was actually recorded with a Peavey JSX and a 7 string rather than an 8. Was actually an ltd sc207 ha! So its not even got great gear on it.

I've upgraded a fair bit since then.

Sorta deathcore yeah, turning more djenty with new stuff though I believe. I'm friends with the guitarist Tim. He posts here sometimes. I thought you guys had toured with them.

Interesting stuff man, shall add you guys on bookface.

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
DANZA! DANZA! DANZA!

Is that an RGA8 he's playing? If so, does that mean he's back with Ibanez? That's awesome if he is, but I'm a little bummed. I thought it was pretty sick that he was playing Agile before, it's good to see a quieter company getting some publicity.

AxeGuru

Reaction score
Woah, has "Djent" become a genre now?
The last I knew it was a term used for that quack tone natrually produced on a Gb string or lower.

Maybe I'm right in saying that a "Djent 8 stringer" is someone who accents that tone more in their playing by focusing on hammer ons and pull offs on the low string to an odd timed groove but with a few scales here and there?

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Woah, has "Djent" become a genre now?
The last I knew it was a term used for that quack tone natrually produced on a Gb string or lower.

Maybe I'm right in saying that a "Djent 8 stringer" is someone who accents that tone more in their playing by focusing on hammer ons and pull offs on the low string to an odd timed groove but with a few scales here and there?

First but you are correct, second you aren't I don't think. I don't use djent anymore though, I refer to stuff as chuggy.

Kavnar

Reaction score
Is that an RGA8 he's playing? If so, does that mean he's back with Ibanez? That's awesome if he is, but I'm a little bummed. I thought it was pretty sick that he was playing Agile before, it's good to see a quieter company getting some publicity.

Yeah he's back on Ibanez as far I know. Says so on their myspace anyway. :shrug:

')