Any non-'djent' 8-stringers?

• Thread starter Dehumanize
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dehumanize

Banned
Reaction score
I can't get into these 'djent' bands like After the Burial and Periphery, although Meshuggah is decent, but 8-string guitars look great and it seems that something could be done with them that would interest me. I'm into death metal along the lines of Suffocation and Nile, but I'm not necessarily looking for players in that style playing 8-strings, but just anything that isn't 'chuggy' music.

Suggest some bands, post some YouTubes, whatever. I want to see what could be done on an 8-string, besides breakdowns.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Necrophagist777

can't bend....
Reaction score
Everyone stole all my answers........:(

Luke Jaeger (Hunab Ku, Acrophase, Sleep Terror) uses 8's as well. Chris Letchford from Scale the Summit uses 8's but with an extra high string.

As far as what can be done on an eight string, the same as can be done on any guitar, it's just whatever you come up with. I'm getting my first 8 (Intrepid 828) next week and can't wait to see what cool stuff can be done on it :)

Some vids of very original 8 string playing come to mind:

Dehumanize

Banned
Reaction score
Anything that is metal, but not based around breakdowns? That's really not my cup of tea. Ihsahn's solo work could be interesting. I've never listened any of it, but used to be into Emperor, Peccatum, and Zyklon B. I'll find some of that.

Those original 8-string videos are cool though.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Dino uses 8s pretty well that isn't considered "djent."

Reaction score
New Acacia Strain album uses 8 strings.

Whitechapel's new album used 8's for layering purposes.
That's all I can think of that hasn't been mentioned.

matty2fatty

Reaction score
Djent Fusion. Holy fuck i don't know why but that got me laughing really hard.

I considered deleting my account for .5 seconds.

For excellent projects here on the board check out Friend For a Foe, and Drewsif Stalin's tech-death project may use 8's (not sure on that one though).

To be fair though, for the most part playing music with an 8 string isn't going to change how it sounds. If you like death metal, it'll still be death metal with an 8. By the same token you could definitely play djent (ugh) with a 6 string.

Oh, and I really can't believe no one has mentioned the Deftones. Half of the board seems to own one of Steph's signature guitars.

')