Any Obituary fans? I recreate the exact amp/pedal and the secret of the sound.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Baelzebeard

Grinder of strings
Reaction score
It's close, good job. A little warmer/smoother than the true sound. FWIW, i've never been able to quite duplicate it myself.

When I saw them live a couple years ago Trevor Perez was playing a Fender blacktop strat with passive humbuckers through dual Marshall JCM 800's with Marshall 4x12's, and he had a tuner and Turbo Rat on the stage, and the tone was spot on from the recordings.

Obituary has always been a favorite of mine, and that guitar tone is truly one of my favorites. So raw and awful in the best possible way.

Fathand

Tube Snake Boogie
Reaction score
JCM800/900 + tubescreamer or a RAT pretty much was their tone back then. Our guitar player is a huge Obituary fan, he's been hunting down the sound for ages. Pickupwise, SD JD is the he's used the longest time with this setup, also EMG's early on.

thefyn

Reaction score
It's close, good job. A little warmer/smoother than the true sound. FWIW, i've never been able to quite duplicate it myself.

When I saw them live a couple years ago Trevor Perez was playing a Fender blacktop strat with passive humbuckers through dual Marshall JCM 800's with Marshall 4x12's, and he had a tuner and Turbo Rat on the stage, and the tone was spot on from the recordings.

Obituary has always been a favorite of mine, and that guitar tone is truly one of my favorites. So raw and awful in the best possible way.

Yep. It was recorded with a JCM800 apparently. Mine sounded NOTHING like it so they must have crushed and tweaked the bejeezus out of it via eq/comp etc.

The valvestate came out a year after chlopped in half.

I have a vertical input JCM800, and apparently the JCM800 they used was mid 80's where I think they changed to printed boards.

I know the early 80's Marshall's are more desirable but the gulf between them can't be that bad, haha.

thefyn

Reaction score
JCM800/900 + tubescreamer or a RAT pretty much was their tone back then. Our guitar player is a huge Obituary fan, he's been hunting down the sound for ages. Pickupwise, SD JD is the he's used the longest time with this setup, also EMG's early on.

The secret is the tone knob on the guitar MUST be on 0-20% depending on the tone harness.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Pretty sure their other guitarist uses a Mesa, so its most likely the Marshall grind with the Recto filling in for the low end. My old Mark III BS got 99% there with the right settings, but it still seems like it requires a blend to get it exact.

Semi-pro

Reaction score
The secret is the tone knob on the guitar MUST be on 0-20% depending on the tone harness.

Yeah remember this being mentioned in an old Guitar World DM special. Obituary was one of the bands that was interviewed.

')